Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews a lot of fun the kitchen staff amazing week instructor lesson board waves weekend accommodation
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 March 2018

I wish I could give this camp 5 stars. The staff and instructors are super friendly and seem to enjoy working with each other and the guests. However, this is not my first surf camp and comparing the experiences, this fell short.

I participated in the 5 day surf camp and for the price (Under $600 USD), it is a great deal. However, you get what you pay for. The accommodations are literally in a Caravan Park (Trailer Park in the USA). WiFi is NOT available in the area of the surf camp trailers, to get internet guests have to stand outside. Also, there are maybe 10 rooms that sleep around 7 people (bunk beds) and during my camp all rooms were filled. That is a lot of people! So many people that we were split into two groups. While one group eats the other is surfing or having down time, only after dinner were the two groups able to socialize with each other. Since there are so many people, the food is very basic. We are talking pasta for dinner and sausages or ham sandwich for lunch with salad. They tasted great but by the third day I was craving a real meal.
During my stay the camp staff were all young (most of them are backpackers), working at the camp for a few months before moving on. The owner of the camp apparently lives in the area but rarely visits, which means at times it felt a little like the blind leading the blind.
Surf Camp Australia was not by any means a bad experience but I was unprepared for the large number of attendees, the lack of amenities (no cleaning staff (wash own dishes and no fresh sheets) and how far away the camp was from stores and restaurants.
If you are a young backpacker on a tight budget and fine with roughing it, this place is perfect. However, if you would like a smaller group size and more amenities you will be disappointed by Surf Camp Australia. I would recommend paying more at another camp or finding a hotel with surf coaches for hire.

Room tip: Room assignments are a free for all and random.
Date of stay: March 2018
1  Thank Elisabeth W
GuyOlbourne, Owner at Surf Camp Australia, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Hi Elizabeth,
Thanks for taking the time to on your review.
Surf Camp Does have upgrade options for those looking for private accommodation and private lessons. Maybe this would have suited you better. Check out our Surf Camp Deluxe Option on our site.
Holiday (Caravan) parks in Australia are the most popular holiday choice for travelling Australians. They are located throughout all of our country and most do not have any permanent residences like Trailer Parks do in the USA. Anyone on some what of a budget choose to stay in Holiday Parks as they are located in the prime position all around our amazing coast with incredible accommodation options .
We actually have intentionally turned off Wifi at the Surf Camp location within the park to keep people off devices . This is received extremely well from our guests with it being a 1st for many to be off the grid. You can however walk 100 meters away and get service if needed.
All meals are included at the surf camp, and change every day. Yes we do have sides option of pasta and such, but we also do super cool local dished like Kangaroo Stew. However the BBQ is what we do best with Marinated Chicken, Steaks. Burgers and Beef Aussie dogs being very popular. All ingredients are sourced locally - supporting local regional businesses.
We do provide fresh sheets at the beginning of each camp to all guests, and yes due to the community nature of our camp you are expected to wash your own plate. Our cleaning staff keep the camp tidy every day. If daily service is what you prefer than our Deluxe options would suit you.
We do split our groups when we surf so we can focus on our guests and give them the personal attention they need. With 7 Miles of Beach we have tons of uncrowded space, and find that our surf groups of 15 people with 2 fully qualified surf coaches work great. Having the same coach for your stay is ideal so we can progress your skills every day.
I can assure you i visit the camp and lessons most days. Our camps are run with safety as the number one priority and most likely i was caching waves next to you during your stay :-)

Reviewed 8 February 2018

I've never surfed before in my life and I signed up for the 7 day program over Christmas. Surf Camp picked all of us up in a nice, comfy bus for the ride to 7 mile beach. When we arrived we sorted ourselves out into rooms and surf lessons started the very next morning. It was all very organized and easy to get us into our wet suits and down to the beach. There was just the right amount of talking and more than enough time in the water. Each session had us in the water for 90min or longer. So that is two sessions per day. That is over three hours in the water each day. You will never feel as you if you did not have enough time. They have two instructors in the water and you will get the help you need. Don't be afraid to ask for help either, everyone learns at a different pace. It took me 3 days to get on the board and stay on it. In the end It was about 20 hours totals in water, learning to surf. I went from zero surfing experience to getting up on the board easily and even walking around on it. That is the way to learn!

The instructors are great, all of them. They will keep you laughing, they'll keep it fun, and they know the right things to say. There is multiple instructors so if you don't get along with one you have lots of others to choose from. I run a motorcycle school and instruct back at home and they check all the boxes on teaching new skills. Just make sure to bring your own bad jokes as Matty Jones jokes are awful, he needs new material ;)

The food is good for feeding 60-90 people. Since it was over Christmas they even managed to put together a turkey dinner for us. If you have a special diet they will accommodate you. I'd still recommend you bring some things to eat if you want a little more variety and protein. They can get a little carried away with the bread.

Sleeping accommodations are what you'd expect from most hostels. A lot of beds in a small room. I really wish they'd put a fan in there as 7 people in one room gets really hot. I had some string with me to keep the door open a bit to let some fresh air in. Sleeping would be so much easier with better pillows and some airflow. They do have a Deluxe option so you can get better sleeping arrangement if necessary.

They have options for 2, 3, 5 and 7 days Surfing. With the 2 and 3 day courses they will get you on the board assisted, but you do really need the 5 and 7 days to get on that board consistently and catch waves. What is really great about the 5 and 7 days of surfing is the people you'll meet. You get to spend time with people learning a new skill. You will make new friends, have lots of laughs, and it really becomes a highlight of your trip. At the end of your 5 or 7 days, you'll have a surfing family. Be friendly, get out of your comfort zone and say hi to everyone. You'll make the whole thing so much more incredible.

Given the value you get for the cost, it is well worth it. You can easily spend more per day in Australia, not surfing. With Surf camp you get it all plus surfing. If you're coming to Australia this is a must do! Surf Camp gets 5 SHAKAS

Room tip: They have 7 share room and the deluxe option has private rooms.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
GuyOlbourne, Owner at Surf Camp Australia, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Wow thanks for taking the time to write such an epic review.
Hope you keep surfing for all your days.

Reviewed 29 December 2017

To start: it is mostly 20+ singles attending the camp, so our family with middle aged parents and 15 and 18 -year old teens were not a typical visitors. But even we were very warmly welcomed and had wonderful two day weekend camp. The cottages are very simple and restroom and showers are shared. But it all works really well, and the camp is kept tidy and everthing is extremely well organized. Staff works so hard. Apart from giving the surfing lessons everything is filmed, they work hard to create a happy atmosphere and you get a feeling that they really love what they do.
The beach is a part of a nature park, clean and beautiful. I really recommend this camp both for families with older teens and for any adult travelling alone or in group.

Room tip: There are up to seven persons in each cabin :-)
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2017

It's legit overnight camp style accommodations. Luke, Ben, Kenny and Gabby were awesome instructors and I actually rode a few waves!!! Wasn't what I was expecting but it was still AMAZING!!! Would do it again in a heartbeat!!!

Reviewed 14 December 2017

I took the weekend groupon deal and it was well worth it! If you are looking to veg out on your phone the whole trip, forget it. The camp is a complete service dead zone and that's the best part. Everyone is out interacting and the energy is amazing! The Instructors are very good at getting everyone energetic.

This camp is not for those who already know how to surf, if you do you'll probably be bored. You go there with no previous experience and depending on how much you put into it, leave knowing all the basics of surfing!

It's best to go when there are no other large groups going and no one knows anyone. When I went, a large group of uni students made up the majority, and there were only a few of us who went by ourselves. It made it very cliquey, which was a bit annoying. Also the groupon is extremely inaccurate/misleading about the rooms and needs to be changed. There are no private rooms. Everyone sleeps in rooms with 6 other people. Nothing to bad about that, but don't think you'll get a "private 1 capacity room" like the groupon says.

All things considered, the weekend was amazing and we all left completely worn out, sun burnt, and knowing how to surf, with lots of great new friends! Would highly recommend it!