Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews a lot of fun the kitchen staff amazing week instructor lesson board waves weekend accommodation
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 April 2018

Surf camp is great! When I was there we were 39 people so we weren`t split up into 2 groups. I really got the chance to meet a lot of new people! We were all very surprised that we could already stand up on our surf board the first day. I didn`t have any surfing experience at all but I got the hang of it real quick. Surf camp is a great opportunity to learn the basics of how to surf so you can surf on your own after the camp has finished. We ate freshly cooked meals every day and the staff is very friendly! I would definitely recommend surf camp and go there again!

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Surf Camp Australia was over hyped. The accommodations and placement of the camp itself was not where it was shown in the video. I understand they do not have professional chefs, but for the amount of money I paid to go there the food could have been better especially breakfast. There was a bus that took us to the camp, but on the way back they decided to put us on a train, but they did not have enough car space to take all of us there so one of friends had to go on the bus alone and she was very distraught about it. The train then never came so we had to take a packed bus ride to another train station that took a while as well. Finally, they loose the pictures we were promised and only offer a shirt and hat as a consolation that we have to pick up. I believe they should send them too us for their mistake. I do have to say the staff was nice and very well informed about surfing.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank mirandazeko6
GuyOlbourne, Owner at Surf Camp Australia, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Hi Miranda,
Thanks for taking the time to review.
We regularly use the train to help reduce our carbon footprint. Travel delays happen when you travel anywhere. Most of the time the train is quicker as we don't have to deal with Sydney traffic.
You paid $265 ($100 off student deal) for a fully inclusive surf camp weekend. 2 Nights accommodation. Transport from Sydney ( 2 hours). 3 x 2hr surf lessons, Board hire, 2 x Breakfast, 2 x Lunch, 1 x dinner plus edited video and photos.
We are still working on the photos - stay tuned. Video is available.
The t shirt are available anytime from the city office, but we are organizing another pick up location for our Wollongong customers.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Surf Camp Australia was wonderful. I'm an exchange student in Australia from the US with extremely limited surfing experience, and I learned so much from this experience. I only did the 2 day weekend and I still feel like I got so much out of it. The staff were friendly and helpful, and they did everything they could to make it a great weekend. 10/10 would recommend Surf Camp for anyone who wants to learn how to surf or improve their skills and have fun while doing it!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Erica H
GuyOlbourne, Owner at Surf Camp Australia, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Thanks for surfing with us. Remember you can take advantage of great return surfer deals if you would like to come back.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

I wish I could give this camp 5 stars. The staff and instructors are super friendly and seem to enjoy working with each other and the guests. However, this is not my first surf camp and comparing the experiences, this fell short.

I participated in the 5 day surf camp and for the price (Under $600 USD), it is a great deal. However, you get what you pay for. The accommodations are literally in a Caravan Park (Trailer Park in the USA). WiFi is NOT available in the area of the surf camp trailers, to get internet guests have to stand outside. Also, there are maybe 10 rooms that sleep around 7 people (bunk beds) and during my camp all rooms were filled. That is a lot of people! So many people that we were split into two groups. While one group eats the other is surfing or having down time, only after dinner were the two groups able to socialize with each other. Since there are so many people, the food is very basic. We are talking pasta for dinner and sausages or ham sandwich for lunch with salad. They tasted great but by the third day I was craving a real meal.
During my stay the camp staff were all young (most of them are backpackers), working at the camp for a few months before moving on. The owner of the camp apparently lives in the area but rarely visits, which means at times it felt a little like the blind leading the blind.
Surf Camp Australia was not by any means a bad experience but I was unprepared for the large number of attendees, the lack of amenities (no cleaning staff (wash own dishes and no fresh sheets) and how far away the camp was from stores and restaurants.
If you are a young backpacker on a tight budget and fine with roughing it, this place is perfect. However, if you would like a smaller group size and more amenities you will be disappointed by Surf Camp Australia. I would recommend paying more at another camp or finding a hotel with surf coaches for hire.

Room tip: Room assignments are a free for all and random.
1  Thank Elisabeth W
GuyOlbourne, Owner at Surf Camp Australia, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Hi Elizabeth,
Thanks for taking the time to on your review.
Surf Camp Does have upgrade options for those looking for private accommodation and private lessons. Maybe this would have suited you better. Check out our Surf Camp Deluxe Option on our site.
Holiday (Caravan) parks in Australia are the most popular holiday choice for travelling Australians. They are located throughout all of our country and most do not have any permanent residences like Trailer Parks do in the USA. Anyone on some what of a budget choose to stay in Holiday Parks as they are located in the prime position all around our amazing coast with incredible accommodation options .
We actually have intentionally turned off Wifi at the Surf Camp location within the park to keep people off devices . This is received extremely well from our guests with it being a 1st for many to be off the grid. You can however walk 100 meters away and get service if needed.
All meals are included at the surf camp, and change every day. Yes we do have sides option of pasta and such, but we also do super cool local dished like Kangaroo Stew. However the BBQ is what we do best with Marinated Chicken, Steaks. Burgers and Beef Aussie dogs being very popular. All ingredients are sourced locally - supporting local regional businesses.
We do provide fresh sheets at the beginning of each camp to all guests, and yes due to the community nature of our camp you are expected to wash your own plate. Our cleaning staff keep the camp tidy every day. If daily service is what you prefer than our Deluxe options would suit you.
We do split our groups when we surf so we can focus on our guests and give them the personal attention they need. With 7 Miles of Beach we have tons of uncrowded space, and find that our surf groups of 15 people with 2 fully qualified surf coaches work great. Having the same coach for your stay is ideal so we can progress your skills every day.
I can assure you i visit the camp and lessons most days. Our camps are run with safety as the number one priority and most likely i was caching waves next to you during your stay :-)

Reviewed 8 February 2018

I've never surfed before in my life and I signed up for the 7 day program over Christmas. Surf Camp picked all of us up in a nice, comfy bus for the ride to 7 mile beach. When we arrived we sorted ourselves out into rooms and surf lessons started the very next morning. It was all very organized and easy to get us into our wet suits and down to the beach. There was just the right amount of talking and more than enough time in the water. Each session had us in the water for 90min or longer. So that is two sessions per day. That is over three hours in the water each day. You will never feel as you if you did not have enough time. They have two instructors in the water and you will get the help you need. Don't be afraid to ask for help either, everyone learns at a different pace. It took me 3 days to get on the board and stay on it. In the end It was about 20 hours totals in water, learning to surf. I went from zero surfing experience to getting up on the board easily and even walking around on it. That is the way to learn!

The instructors are great, all of them. They will keep you laughing, they'll keep it fun, and they know the right things to say. There is multiple instructors so if you don't get along with one you have lots of others to choose from. I run a motorcycle school and instruct back at home and they check all the boxes on teaching new skills. Just make sure to bring your own bad jokes as Matty Jones jokes are awful, he needs new material ;)

The food is good for feeding 60-90 people. Since it was over Christmas they even managed to put together a turkey dinner for us. If you have a special diet they will accommodate you. I'd still recommend you bring some things to eat if you want a little more variety and protein. They can get a little carried away with the bread.

Sleeping accommodations are what you'd expect from most hostels. A lot of beds in a small room. I really wish they'd put a fan in there as 7 people in one room gets really hot. I had some string with me to keep the door open a bit to let some fresh air in. Sleeping would be so much easier with better pillows and some airflow. They do have a Deluxe option so you can get better sleeping arrangement if necessary.

They have options for 2, 3, 5 and 7 days Surfing. With the 2 and 3 day courses they will get you on the board assisted, but you do really need the 5 and 7 days to get on that board consistently and catch waves. What is really great about the 5 and 7 days of surfing is the people you'll meet. You get to spend time with people learning a new skill. You will make new friends, have lots of laughs, and it really becomes a highlight of your trip. At the end of your 5 or 7 days, you'll have a surfing family. Be friendly, get out of your comfort zone and say hi to everyone. You'll make the whole thing so much more incredible.

Given the value you get for the cost, it is well worth it. You can easily spend more per day in Australia, not surfing. With Surf camp you get it all plus surfing. If you're coming to Australia this is a must do! Surf Camp gets 5 SHAKAS

Room tip: They have 7 share room and the deluxe option has private rooms.
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

Wow thanks for taking the time to write such an epic review.
Hope you keep surfing for all your days.