Hambleton Hall
US$41
The Falcon Hotel(Uppingham)
US$118
US$106
All reviewsrutland watertasting menuspecial occasionmichelin starcountry housedrawing roombirthday treatvery special placepre lunch drinkslambbeautiful roomexcellent foodcheese boardwhole experiencecrabfine diningpetit fours
Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

Visited as a surprise birthday meal, first impression as we arrived was one of quality. The well maintained grounds and imposing building set the scene for a wonderful afternoon.

The staff without exception were impeccable and so welcoming, they have the perfect balance of being attentive whilst non intrusive, nothing was too much trouble and every request met with a smile.

The lounges bar and restaurant are tastefully decorated and very comfortable.

A very nice touch was a personalised menu to celebrate my birthday.

The menu offers a tempting array of wonderful food.

There is an extensive quality wine menu all very reasonably priced.

As a main course I selected the roast beef, I can honestly say that this was the tenderest most succulent beef I have ever eaten. Together with a Yorkshire Pudding and a selection of tasty perfectly cooked vegetables this was a Sunday Roast to remember!

We left feeling very satisfied having enjoyed a top quality meal prepared and served by staff of a very high standard who made us feel very welcome.

We will without doubt be returning.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank happyholidaymaker55
Reviewed 8 April 2018

From the moment arrival to the moment of departure, we could not have been treated more personably. The ambiance of the property, the attentiveness of all staff from chambermaid to owner was outstanding. The food selection and preparation was unique and most tasty. Then finest Relais and Chateaux we have stayed at.

Room Tip: Bay (for the outstanding view)
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Relais & Chateaux
2  Thank Sebastiendog
Reviewed 8 April 2018

The finest, we’re all still gushingly praising the food and the team there. Retirement dinner in The Study room. Just exceptional again and we look forward to another lunch in due course. Sincere thanks.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Tourer27
Reviewed 8 April 2018

My husband treated me to two nights here for my 70th birthday and it was wonderful. On arriving in the room there was a beautiful bouquet of flowers, and a lovely candle both for me to take home. Our room overlooked Rutland Water, and therefore had a truly splendid view. Dinner on the first night was the tasting menu accompanied by a flight of wines. I was presented with a commemorative menu and after a gorgeous cocktail we were shown to our table where we experienced the most delicious food. Even the bread was made at their own bakery. The service was outstanding, no stiffness or formality, just a perfect blend of friendliness and professionalism. Breakfast the next morning was again perfect, service exactly when you wanted it not a minute too early or too late.

At such a hotel you do not get a hospitality tray in your room unless you ask for it, which I did. It arrived within five minutes, and from then on, every time we left the room the tray was refreshed with clean cups and fresh milk.

The service throughout the two days was second to none, again not stiff or formal, but friendly and professional at all times.

Dinner on the second night was the normal al a carte menu, and it was again outstanding. The Sommelier helped us choose the wine to accompany our meal and neither the food or the wine could be faulted.

The whole experience was a delight, I just wish I could have it as a birthday treat every year.

Thank you to all the staff at Hambleton Hall for making our celebration perfect.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Rutland Water have the best views.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eileen A
Reviewed 30 March 2018

I'd had this hotel on my radar for some years and regret not coming sooner. I've missed out on a comfortable and culinary experience.
My wife and myself arrived to see two McLaren sports cars either side of the front door and a Rolls Royce in the car park. A good start for this petrol head. Apparently, McLaren had a meeting in the hotel.
We were warmly greeted by the reception staff and a porter assisted with our luggage.
The micro-size lift, with literary decoration, took us to the second floor, where our room
(Lake Room) was situated. It had a lovely aspect across gardens and Rutland Water, at the rear of the hotel. On a cold day it was delightfully warm and cosy. A very minor issue was that the bathroom window would not close fully. The frame needed attention, but it was only a small gap, and the radiator and towel rail within the room provided more than adequate heating.
The food was excellent, both in the evening and at breakfast, and the staff efficient and friendly. Literally, service with a smile, and great to see. My wife is a little fussy with her food, but nothing was too much trouble for the serving and kitchen staff. All her needs were met.
We will definitely return, and not leave it so long next time.

Room Tip: If you want a view the rear rooms would probably be best.
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple