“Please open a Louie's in Calgary!”

Louie's Steakhouse and Lounge
Ranked #26 of 102 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A distinctly metropolitan culinary experience, in historic Nelson's bustling downtown. Whether it's an intimate evening for two, or a casual gathering amongst friends, Louie's is sure to provide an experience you won't soon forget.Specializing in signature steaks, specialty pastas, rustic thin crust pizza, and FRESH seafood, Louie's Steakhouse offers the finest quality food, and exemplary service in an area of abundant comfort.Executive Chef Adam Duff has created a dining experience focusing on regional products, and in season ingredients. We off only the finest cuts of premium aged beef, along with a menu featuring a diverse selection of appetizers, entrees and accompaniments that is sure to tantalize the most refined of palates.Our liquid chefs have created an impeccable cast of martinis -- 28 in all, and an impressive selection of signaure cocktails. Our extensive wine list focuses on wines from the region, with a bit of international flair. Not to mention award-winning Nelson Brewing Company lagers and ales on tap, and fine premium spirits.
Reviewed 21 May 2017

We headed out to Nelson again for our yearly Kootenay road trip and once again, Louie's did not disappoint. Although we do have many amazing restaurants here in Calgary, it's very rare to find the combination of quality service and superior food at the price point we find at Louie's. Rob and his team always make us feel special every time we visit and it's always a treat to spend a little time in beautiful Nelson. Thanks again guys, keep up the good work and we'll see you next year!

Reviewed 19 May 2017 via mobile

With a menu with such variety theres something for everyone! Service was spectacular, friendly and attentive front of house staff matched with the culinary expertise of the chefs makes for a lovely fine dining experience. Will be back again.

Reviewed 15 May 2017

We went for a birthday dinner ... a party of 5,
Music was loud and blaring and we asked server if it could be turned down a bit , the sever immediately gave us attitude and said she " would see what she could do about it" after ordering I received a tepid steak ... and or a $39 entree this was not acceptable ! We spent about $450 as a group.
Definately was an overpriced disappointment, would not bother going again , they really need to up their game if you are charging Gotham or Morton restaurant prices ... this place really left us with something to be desired ....

4  Thank 364kal
Rob_Little, General Manager at Louie's Steakhouse and Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2017

Dear 354kal,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on trip advisor. If you felt that there was some attitude with your service, then we will definitely address this, as this goes against all of our staff training. I must say, however, that I believe you are a bit out of touch on the pricing side of things. We are no where near the same price as the restaurants you mentioned. We don't normally like to compare ourselves with other establishments, but in light of your comments I thought I'd review the price of steaks at Gotham, and can say that based on their web site a New York with Mashed potatoes and asparagus is $84.25. On our menu the same meal is $35.00. There is not a single entree with side starch and vegetable under $50 on their menu. Conversely, there is nothing on our menu over that price. Based on this, I would say that we have exceptional value, and you are incorrect on your assesment. I also stand by our culinary team, who have worked at some of the finest restaurants in Canada, and the grade of beef that we serve as being the best you can buy in Canada. If your steak was warm, and not hot, that may have something to do with the cooking temperature you requested and our resting methods. In our minds a steak should never be served piping hot. We recommend all of our steaks be served medium rare, and for that the internal temperature should be around 56 degrees Celsius, and it should be rested. So in this situation, tepid (or warm) is exactly how it should be served. A lot of restaurants serve their steaks without resting them, which we believe to be incorrect. Resting steaks allows for the juices to settle down so when you cut into the meat it doesn't run all over your plate, and ends up in every delicious bite. With all of this said, we are sorry that you did not enjoy yourselves as much as you would have liked. The vast majority of our patrons really enjoy the food and atmosphere, so it is disappointing to all of us when this isn't the case. Please feel free to contact me directly, as I would welcome some more detail to your experience, so that we can potentially improve our operation. Our management team was not informed of any problems when you were in, so it is a little surprising to get a 1 star mark without giving a supervisor on our team the opportunity to make it right.

Reviewed 20 April 2017

Great Service, Great food atmosphere is good when there are People dining, food is rather expensive but delicious.

Reviewed 27 March 2017

My husband and I recently returned to Louie’s after an incredibly disappointing experience a few months back prompting me to write a rather scathing review. Although I stand by that review at the time of writing it, I feel it would be remiss of me not to share my latest incredible experience at Louie’s.
Our dining experience this last go round was just that – a truly unforgettable experience from start to finish. The food was simply incredible and on point in every respect. We began our incredible dining experience with Pernod Prawns. They were huge and succulent and that sauce was so good, I wanted to drink it off that plate (perhaps a bigger slice of bread or two should be served with this heavenly cream sauce). Next up, both, husband and I ordered the Peppercorn New York. The steaks were cooked to perfection and each bite was tender and truly something to savour. The steaks were well seasoned and each bite you could taste the peppercorns. I love the fact that the GM listened to the critique in regards to steaks being served a la carte and I was glad to see that they went back to serving their steaks with a side of starch and a side of vegetables. The veggies were crisp, fresh and in season and complimented the steak perfectly.
Finally, we somehow managed to have just enough room to share a dessert and we ordered the Beignets which were warm and the pastry puffed up the way it is supposed to be and simply decadent with the sauce that accompanied them.
Bartender was as always impressive in delivering great tasting and eye pleasing cocktails but a must try is the Toblerone Martini. It’s hard to just have one of these decadent martinis.
Overall, Louie’s more than made up for their faux pas a couple of months earlier. The dinner experience this time around was beyond unbelievable. I urge anyone looking for a fine dining experience to go to Louie’s and those who may have been disappointed on a prior occasion, let them make it right because they deserve a second chance. Bravo. Can’t wait to go back again soon.