“interesting”

Fossil World Discovery Center Museum
Ranked #14 of 19 things to do in Drumheller
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: New interactive dinosaur museum in Drumheller. Had the best time at this Museum with the kids. It's a must do.....
Reviewed 3 October 2017

Very unique exhibit with animated dinosaurs and other activities the kids could do. The gift shop has a very good selection of merchandise with reasonable pricing.

All reviews
in 36 reviews
"mining"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

My son loved the panning for gems. We received a nice selection of different gem stones. Love the exhibits.
Great for young children

Reviewed 12 September 2017

We visited this place with our two children and they LOVED it! It is small and does not take long to get through. We enjoyed how the dinosaurs are animated. Might be scary for younger children, but there is also a small playcenter in there if they don't want to look at the dinosaurs. The T-Rex looks incredibly realistic. Staff was great. The lady at the till noticed my son's dino claw necklace (Purchased Elsewhere) and gave him a little information on it and what it was. He was thrilled!

Reviewed 11 September 2017

Grandparents parents and grandchildren all had a fun time at this combination museum, amusement center gift shop and whatever. Real fossils, fake dinosaurs and lots of kid fun.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Sent the following email to the store and received a terrible reply. Won't spend my money there as they do not understand customer service.

Last weekend my family and I had the pleasure to visit the Drumheller area and all three of my children had a wonderful time. It has been some time since I was in the Drumheller area and your store was brand new to me and so when we were driving by, I couldn’t resist stopping in. Your store is absolutely beautiful and we spent a fair bit of time looking around on Friday afternoon and purchased the kids some small items. My wife and I also saw a wonderful fossil slab by the front door (the one in the middle) and we considered a purchase. As with all purchases, I said we would sleep on it.

The following day I had made up my mind to purchase the item and returned to the store. Having done some comparisons online, I had determined for myself that the asking price for the slab was fair and was not going to ask for a price decrease. When we arrived, I talked to a bearded gent to whom I expressed my wish to buy the item but wanted to discuss a way of hanging it on my wall (I believe it was you we discussed that with on the Friday). I suggested to him that if I purchased the fossil and the activities in the museum part of things for my kids, that I would appreciate the admission part of the museum for free for the five of us ($35.00 is the value of that I believe). He responded by telling me that the manager was away and he had no authority to change prices. I explained I wasn’t asking for a change of price, just free museum admission that would have no “hard” cost attached to it. I got the same answer and he proceeded to leave us immediately and help a lady looking at toys.

While I do not know the nature of the “managers” absence, I was astounded that there was, apparently, absolutely nothing that could be done. There was no attempt to gather my information and have someone contact me at a later date or anything. In the end, I decided that although I wanted that fossil slab a great deal, I was unprepared to reward treatment of a customer in that manner by spending my money at the store.

I am the manager of Steinway Piano Gallery in Calgary and I would be very upset if any of my staff treated any customer that walked into our shop in the way I was treated. While the $500.00 I would have spent is nowhere near some of the $12,000 fossils you have, I can’t imagine in our current economic climate, that the sale would not have been helpful to the bottom line.

My intention in writing this email is not just to spout off, but to let you know that perhaps some further staff training could take place in order to avoid things like this happening in the future. Additionally, I am rather sad that as I walk in my front door, I do not see that lovely piece hanging on my wall…

DonChambers, Owner at Fossil World Discovery Center Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2017

Terribly sorry the encounter was not to your satisfaction. Your expectations were reasonable and had I been there or running the museum I would have accommodated your request as it was reasonable. Not all stores price their goods to bargain or discount. You will notice the consistent remarks that our prices are very good. We price at the same low price for everyone that is just how we do it. I personally do not like being taken advantage of and paying more than I should and we treat our customer that way as well. Had the other owner been there at that time I am sure she would have accommodated your request as well. On many occasions we have had customers buy $500 trilobites and offered them to go into the museum for free to see the wonderful trilobite collection inside.