“What a rip off”

Restaurant La Clef Des Champs
Price range: US$51 - US$51
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Aucun
Description: Un charmant restaurant de poisson, fruits de mer, et grillades dans un des sites les plus enchanteurs des Laurentides.
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We recently had supper with 2 other couples (total 6 of us). A Saturday night, reservation for 6:45 p.m.
-Service was terrible. We couldn't get out before 10:00 p.m. Far too few servers than necessary, and with the exception of the hosts, they were amateurs. Meanwhile, the hosted were busy running all over the place,. not a word from them.
-Food arrived slowly, not hot, not all at the same time (some of us were finished our main course, before the others even saw theirs).
-Quality of the cooking was HORRIBLE. Over priced OVERCOOKED, AND TINY scampi, for $50.00!
What a rip off.
We visited this restaurant several times before, after the ownership changed. Now, the "new" owners have become complacent, their attitude flippant, and they have lost us (and our friends) as customers.
Has ownership changed again recently??

4  Thank Danny B

Reviewed 21 December 2013

This restaurant has been a favourite for us for decades. Excellent food in a lovely setting and ambiance. New owners took over a few years back and the formal French service has become more lively with a friendly Mexican accent reflecting the roots of at least one of the owners. Famous for excellent food, especially the fish, the new owners' talents in the kitchen are equal to their predecessors. Yes, the tortilla chip and salsa offered when seated is modest fare, but it is a freebie, so no complaint. We ate from the extensive table d'hôte menu with a wide selection of starters, mains and desserts. My wife started with a delicious and generous mini coquille loaded with fish and scallops. I chose the salmon tartar which was delicious by itself and they offer a hot sauce of jalapeños and garlic (the chef's creation) on the side. I hesitantly added it to a few bites and enjoyed the experience. For our mains, my wife picked the dore amandine and I the scallops - both meunière. Perfectly cooked and delicious! I am surprised that there are not more positive reviews. We shall definitely be back.

1  Thank Macantasle
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I heard good reviews about this place, so we decided to try! First, the small "amuse-gueule" is nothing more than a tortilla chip filled with tomatoes: no taste at all. We ordered entrées: no taste. We ordered steaks: they brought me a too cooked steak because, they've forgot to ask me how I wanted it! The dessert, disapointing! Seems like everything I've tasted, I could do MUCH better at home! The service was terrible, nothing has been served at the right time.. The welcoming was also cold and fake! I will never go back there! The prices are exorbitant for absolutely NOTHING!!!!

5  Thank Melanielaroche
Steve T, Manager at Restaurant La Clef Des Champs, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Wow, really surprised to hear this. The appetizer usually contains seafood, onions, cilantro, lemon, and other spices; I guess we forgot to add them when you were there. We see this is your first and only review on Tripadvisor. We hope you had better times elsewhere and would be curious to see your opinion on other establishments. Happy dining!

Reviewed 26 September 2010

A few years ago I went with my wife and was most impressed. High end french cuisine is what I enjoy most because I (hopefuly) get to taste the stuff I can't do at home. This time around was disappointing. FOOD: The only "red" meat you could get was the (overpriced, à la carte ) "filet mignon" and the Entrecôte. No game, no lamb, no roe(?), no austrich, like they had in the past. So I chose the entrecôte... what a mistake. I asked medium rare and got black and blue (cooked on the outside, raw inside). Sent it back, came ok, but I felt I was eating a "trucker's steak", nothing worthy of a French Restaurant. My wife took the shrimps, which she enjoyed. My entrée "chaudrée de parlourde" was good but not outstanding, her's was some cheese/seafood something; it was tasteless. SERVICE: Nice but obviously overworked/short-staffed. It took a while to get a hold of someone for anything. AMBIANCE: Not relaxing. There are 3 sections to this restaurant: one big room for a group and two sections with multiple tables. In our section (I did not check the other) we had tables of 2, 2, 4, 4, and 6. The group of 6 was lead by two loud morons, obviously solidly tipsy, who's wife laid there silently and never told them to lower it down. Honey, I love you...r money. Anyways, another table of 4, business owners, was loud as well. By the type of cars you saw in the parking: 90% mercedes truck, porsche, audi, cadillac trucks, the typical customer there makes good money, but it looks like too many of them have no F** class. I hate that. Not the restaurant's fault but still. I no longer recommend this place. Overpriced, tasteless, noisy.

4  Thank Marc_Alex
Steve T, Owner at Restaurant La Clef Des Champs, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

We are really sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. We see it has been a while since you visited us. Things change... :) Please give us a second chance! Cheers. Hope to see you again soon.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2008

Excellent food and wine, good service and very intimate for a cosy night out

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook