“New management, server and chef”
Review of Restaurant La Clef Des Champs - CLOSED

Restaurant La Clef Des Champs
Price range: US$51 - US$51
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Aucun
Description: Un charmant restaurant de poisson, fruits de mer, et grillades dans un des sites les plus enchanteurs des Laurentides.
Reviewed 31 October 2015 via mobile

The last time it was as good as this was about 7 or 8 years ago when the Masnavettes owned and operated this establishment. OK, maybe a minor exaggeration because, in my book, chef Jean-Louis was one of the best chefs in the province (and I had a generous expense account... which has gone on a bit of diet, recently).
The soup Tokinoise was very flavourful and, yes, spicy. The duck confit was spot on. Not too salty and the sauce... Well, you have got to try it.
The wine cellar isn't close to what used to be offered; however they have a selection which should please most everyone (expense account or not).
Service was excellent; never touched the either the sparkling water or wine bottles.
If you haven't returned in the last couple of months, that's how recent the new ownership is, you really must go!

Reviewed 19 January 2015

It was our first time at this restaurant and we have been more than pleased! Excellent service the food was simply amazing.

1  Thank Chatshadow
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We recently had supper with 2 other couples (total 6 of us). A Saturday night, reservation for 6:45 p.m.
-Service was terrible. We couldn't get out before 10:00 p.m. Far too few servers than necessary, and with the exception of the hosts, they were amateurs. Meanwhile, the hosted were busy running all over the place,. not a word from them.
-Food arrived slowly, not hot, not all at the same time (some of us were finished our main course, before the others even saw theirs).
-Quality of the cooking was HORRIBLE. Over priced OVERCOOKED, AND TINY scampi, for $50.00!
What a rip off.
We visited this restaurant several times before, after the ownership changed. Now, the "new" owners have become complacent, their attitude flippant, and they have lost us (and our friends) as customers.
Has ownership changed again recently??

4  Thank Danny B
Reviewed 21 December 2013

This restaurant has been a favourite for us for decades. Excellent food in a lovely setting and ambiance. New owners took over a few years back and the formal French service has become more lively with a friendly Mexican accent reflecting the roots of at least one of the owners. Famous for excellent food, especially the fish, the new owners' talents in the kitchen are equal to their predecessors. Yes, the tortilla chip and salsa offered when seated is modest fare, but it is a freebie, so no complaint. We ate from the extensive table d'hôte menu with a wide selection of starters, mains and desserts. My wife started with a delicious and generous mini coquille loaded with fish and scallops. I chose the salmon tartar which was delicious by itself and they offer a hot sauce of jalapeños and garlic (the chef's creation) on the side. I hesitantly added it to a few bites and enjoyed the experience. For our mains, my wife picked the dore amandine and I the scallops - both meunière. Perfectly cooked and delicious! I am surprised that there are not more positive reviews. We shall definitely be back.

1  Thank Macantasle
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I heard good reviews about this place, so we decided to try! First, the small "amuse-gueule" is nothing more than a tortilla chip filled with tomatoes: no taste at all. We ordered entrées: no taste. We ordered steaks: they brought me a too cooked steak because, they've forgot to ask me how I wanted it! The dessert, disapointing! Seems like everything I've tasted, I could do MUCH better at home! The service was terrible, nothing has been served at the right time.. The welcoming was also cold and fake! I will never go back there! The prices are exorbitant for absolutely NOTHING!!!!

5  Thank Melanielaroche
Steve T, Manager at Restaurant La Clef Des Champs, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Wow, really surprised to hear this. The appetizer usually contains seafood, onions, cilantro, lemon, and other spices; I guess we forgot to add them when you were there. We see this is your first and only review on Tripadvisor. We hope you had better times elsewhere and would be curious to see your opinion on other establishments. Happy dining!