All reviews kootenay river cross country ski natural bridge off grid trail system the barn fat bike pate friendly dogs perfect venue surrounding trails the real world ski trails summer trip frisbee golf logging road white water
Reviewed 14 July 2009

We have just been on our second trip to Nipika, its still as fabulous as ever.

The cabins are beautiful, the setting amazing! One of the things I most like about Nipika is that it is dog heaven! We took our 18 month old Golden X with us and she was off the lead all weekend playing with the resident dogs, chasing the gophers and taking in the view from the deck.

The lack of phones, wifi and TV is one of the best things. You get a chance to unwind, talk and read... how holidays should be!

Still.... I do struggle with not being able to use my hair drier or straighteners, but you can't have everything!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2009

Where to start to describe Nipika. My boyfriend suggested Nipika after seeing a mountain bike programme being filmed there. I was happy to go with the flow and having read a few reviews on Trip Advisor was happy to go with the flow.

I booked the Bergeron Cabin based on the pictures on the website and the fact that it was the newest cabin and looked large (I like my space!). The pictures really did not do it justice! Prior to our trip, I emailed Lyle a few times and he was brilliant at giving tips and offering help about the trips and general questions I kept bugging him with!

As there is no restaurant or anything, we stocked up for 3 days in Radium Hot Springs before heading up to Nipika via 93 and Settlers Road. Upon arrival, we were greeted by Rufus the dog and Lyle working on the volley ball court to get it ready for summer. Lyle informed us that it was a quiet week and that my boyfriend and I would be the only guests staying at Nipika for 3 days At first it felt strange to be the only 2 people there, however, what an experience to have a whole resort and Valley to ourselves. Lyle said that at night we would be the only people for miles which really did give us a 'true' rockie mountain experience. He left us with the satellite phone and the bear spray. What more could we need; just our enthusiasm!

We spent our days biking, hiking, canoeing around the beautiful surrounding areas and our nights became a routine of BBQ's on our terrace and hot tub (log fired)! We saw Lyle everyday as he was working on the land and he was great at telling us about the 'Nipika story' and showing us around the place. I just loved his sense of passion, it was truly infectious. We left Nipika feeling completely relaxed and rejuvenated and felt like we had experienced the real rockies without the tourists. Nipika has a lake for swimming in the summer and ice-skating in the winter, Hot Tub (log fired), Sauna (log fired). It is completely 'off grid' and there is no phone signal, which allows you to really switch off!

A wonderful place.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kerry0072
Reviewed 28 February 2009

This past New Year's was our fifth trip to Nipika in as many years. Always a wonderful experience and as usual the skiing was sublime. For me it's a great location to paint in peace and for my husband to hone his once a year hockey skills. I have created some Nipika themed paintings which are available on my website at [--]

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2009

It was perfect. We shared a three-bedroom cabin with two other couples and spent three days skiing along excellently maintained and designed trails. The snow gods cooperated -- conditions were excellent and it wasn't too cold. The kitchen had everything we needed to make our own meals, and there was lots of room for us to chat, read our books and stretch out the kinks of the day. On one evening we enjoyed an amazing presentation by Nipika's resident wildlife biologist who showed a video of her work with west coast wolves, as well as pictures of local wildlife photographed from a system of wildlife monitoring cameras located in the area.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Freedom005
Reviewed 28 December 2008

I spent Christmas 2008 in Nipika Lodge with an extended family group. I'm tempted not to write a review at all, because I'd really like to keep it all to myself, but that wouldn't be fair to the people who have worked so hard to make this place so wonderful.

If I had to use one phrase to describe Nipika it would be "attention to detail." Every detail has been taken care of without losing any of the rustic charm of the setting. Every window of the lodge has a wonderful view, but the best sight of the meadow and the sunrise on the mountains is from the breakfast table in the kitchen. The two fireplaces kept the lodge cozy and comfortable even when the temperature dipped down to -20 one night. The kitchen was generously stocked with everything we needed for meal preparation/serving for a group of 12. We brought our Christmas dinner in foil trays and warmed it using the gas oven and the BBQ. (There is no microwave as all the electricity must be generated on-site.) There was a big entry room to store all of our coats, boots, skates, etc. The beds were firm but comfortable: there are enough beds to sleep 10 people plus 3 extra spaces on sofabeds/cots.

The sauna, outdoor hot tub and skating pond were only steps away from our back door. The skaters had lots of fun throwing snowballs at the "bikini crowd" as they ran back and forth between the hot tub and the sauna. Both of these are heated with wood and we felt a real sense of accomplishment as we enjoyed our hot soak, knowing that we had helped to stoke the fires!

Although we didn't get to it on this trip, there is also a big bonfire pit in the meadow suitable for mid-winter weenie roasts and campfire songs. Another group did that and it looked like fun!

One of the unique things about Nipika is that pets are welcome there. It's a great place for kids (and big kids) to be able to spend some quality time with their dogs, romping around out in the meadow.

Of course we didn't go to Nipika to stay inside! Between us, we've travelled to almost every corner of the globe and it would be hard to find a more spectacular setting. Again, the attention to detail shows in the layout of the cross-country ski trails: manageable for beginners and yet challenging enough for experts, and so very, very pretty. Whatever you do, don't miss the natural bridge and the waterfalls! "Mount Sledmore" provided a whole afternoon of tobogganing enjoyment for our crew. And even if it's cold, if the sky is clear, take a minute to look upwards at night and remember what the stars look like.

Nipika also offers ski and snowshoe rentals and lessons as well. They were very helpful with getting our kids outfitted with the right gear to enjoy their time outdoors.

Nipika is nature as it was intended to be: on our second day there we heard a car and it took a minute to realize what it was. This is a great place to get away from it all, in style and comfort. We felt so welcome there - just like family - and we can't wait to find a reason to go back.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family