“Great food.”

Cuisines: Mexican, Salvadoran
Neighbourhood: Whalley
Neighbourhood: Whalley
Reviewed 6 August 2017

I ordered online from here recently. I've never actually been inside before and wanted to order something different than the usual pizza and wings type of arrangement. It seems according to the other reviews it's not an ideal place to sit in and eat,, but for delivery it was just what my wife and I needed. The delivery time was accurate and the food I ordered was delicious. I specifically tried the fried tacos, yuca, and pupusas. All of these came with a refreshing salad that helped tone down the harshness of some of the grease in there. All were awesome and I would do it again!

Reviewed 30 September 2016

This restaurant is a small place so I am sure many people have driven right by. There isn't a ton of seating but enough to make due. The food was good and the owner was very nice. Portion size was good. It was very clean and looks like maybe it was recently renovated with new floors and paint. The only downfall was that service was slow. We had a pretty large group at lunch time and since they had a pre-order from another group it took over an hour to get our food. If you plan on going I would call and pre-order.

Also no menu seems available online so I took a picture and have attached it.

Reviewed 17 October 2015

The Conqistadora is a small establishment on a main thoroughfare which makes parking a problem. We found a spot about two blocks away. Having eaten food in restaurants and street stands on many occasions in Mexico, I have experienced numerous tastes and qualities of Latin American cuisine. One constant I have found is the lack of cleanliness, The Conquistadora is no exception. The bathroom, floor, and table I ate at could have used a good cleansing. The restaurant itself doubles as and ethnic food shop with a selection of spices, sauces, and staples on display. The servers were friendly and cheerful and seemed to appreciate our patronage. My friend and I ordered burritos and tacos with a medium hot spice. The food was tasty but long on rice and short on meat and beans. The meal in truth was a bit skimpy. With drinks the meal came to $28.00. I guess the eatery is o.k. for Surrey but would find the competition threatening in areas with a larger Latino population.The Conquistadora is a quaint eatery in a world of Sub Shops and MacDonald's. It's the kind of place that one can say he's been to but definitely not one he would frequent. I doubt whether I will be back.

1  Thank Dan L
Reviewed 21 January 2015

I came at 1130..and it was closed..sign says open at 11. Ordered Puposas and chicken burrito. My friend and i both commented that is tasted like turkey not chicken. Bathrooms were worse than a dirty gas station. Table was dirty from the night before since we were the first customers...cutlery was sparing. Ssked for two plates and got one. Happy i dont see what the freezer looks like in the kitchen. Pretty sure itwas yesterdays rice in the burrito

Reviewed 12 June 2014

The restaurant doesn't have the nicest ambiance and we almost didn't eat here, but we decided to suck it up and give it a chance. When you first walk in the door, you will see that they are selling food related items - so it also has a store concept happening. At first, I thought it was a Mexican restaurant, but they also serve many Salvadorian dishes. It is a 50/50 mix of both cuisines.

I believe this is a family run business and I do like supporting local businesses in my community. The server spoke enough English and I did appreciate the effort. I found the service here very friendly and welcoming.

The menu is somewhat limited, but I was still able to find something interesting. I like trying new things, so I opted for a Salvadorian steak dish, on the recommendation of our server. The steak was good. The flavors were good, but the steak itself was extremely thin and not very filling. We also ordered guacamole and it was very reasonably priced ($2.50 CDN?), but again, the portion was small (good for maybe one person). I think they used maybe 1/4 of an avocado. You can't really complain though, for the price. I think it is more of an add-on for an entree, than an appetizer.

So, I'm somewhat torn. The food tasted great. I enjoyed the flavors and spices very much, but I was somewhat disappointed with the smaller portions. I felt like the entree's should have been bigger for the price (around $10-13? if I remember correctly). If you're a large eater, you'll likely walk away from your meal still hungry. The ambiance is somewhat lacking, but it is what it is. If I was in the area again, I might consider ordering take-out instead of eating in.

It's worth a try and I'll probably come back here again, at some point. They have a nice selection of Mexican related food items, homemade salsa's, etc. I'd like to take some of these items home with me to use in my cooking.

I have yet to find a Mexican restaurant in the GVRD that uses the liquid bottled horchatta concentrate mix. It seems the powdered variety is all I have been able to find. They do have a nice selection of Mexican pop and other drinks.

So, my advice would be to come here if you're in this area and are looking to try something new. The complimentary salsa and chips were very good and the chips tasted fresh. I enjoyed the food, but was underwhelmed with the smaller portion sizes. For this reason alone, I wouldn't rush back. The food however was very good, so I will still keep this place in mind for a future visit.