Hotel U Castellu
US$80
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsshort walkthe main roadmusicstationvillagewine
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I decided to stop off here for a night after spending a holiday a few years ago in the area, and having read previous reviews. It was particularly the music sessions that attracted me, and I wasn't disappointed - a couple of local musicians singing Corsican songs, with contributions from some guests, and even the hotel owner joined in. Wonderful atmosphere. These sessions apparently take place every Saturday night during the summer, on a terrace overlooking the woods and hills.

The hotel is fairly simple (no lift!) but clean and comfortable, with character. The owner was very friendly, helpful and welcoming (I think it helps if you speak some French, which I do - I don't know how good his English is as I didn't put it to the test). The evening meal was fine, though nothing special, as was the breakfast. If you're arriving by train, it's a short walk from Vizzavona station (the hotel is actually in Vizzavona, not Vivario) though up a steep hill. The train journey from either Ajaccio or Bastia is, I think, one of the most spectacular in Europe. I didn't have a car with me, but there seemed ample space in the car park.

Nothing much in the village apart from a few houses, more hotels, and a bar and shop at the station, but a very attractive rural location with good walks.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank SteveBSheffield
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We were going North on the central road and found a place we might like, but there were many barking dogs. Because we had not booked ahead, we ended up stopping at this hotel. Even when we parked, there wasn't much room, which told us it was popular. So, we parked our hideously large Mercedes (junk) car and checked in. The stairs were old and steep, the room was OK but not great. The price turned out to be, by far, the largest we paid in 14 days in Corsica. As we had eaten a huge lunch not too many miles away, we stayed in our room. We had been told that that night there was a big meal and music. Yes, we heard the music, but weren't in any mood to go and visit. That may have been our own fault. By going to their web site since, I've seen that they like to offer two nights for the price of one (115Euros) and throw in dinner and the whole singing stuff. It seems like you stop here by accident and gain by doing so. Had we known this, we might have stopped a little longer and paid the same price!

Room Tip: I'm not sure, but they all seem to be upstairs and a long drag with any baggage. It was a long walk from the car parking to the front door. Not unusual, but for this price they should come out and help you (remember, this was twice what we normally paid for any hotel in Corsica during our stay!).
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We spent two nights at this delightful small hotel located right in the centre of Corsica. Comfortable room, friendly staff, very good food. Not far from several towns but the sense of isolation is apparent due to the mountainous terrain. Located in a beautiful forested area, with extensive walking trails and a nearby railway which would offer impressive views of the countryside if time permits a half day return trip. Corsican drivers are very 'confident' about their share of the narrow roads, but it's well worth exploring their fascinating island.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We stayed two nights in Hotel U Castellu. It is a small multi-story inn with a charming little social gathering area on the ground floor, where they serve food, and where they sometimes have a folk music night. We were there for the music night and it was a perfect and memorable evening, along with the wine and great conversation among ourselves. They also invited me to play guitar with them, so I did, and that was even more amusing for our group.

The restaurant was good but not excellent. The service was excellent.

The setting is at high elevation in the mountains, in a forest of 150+ foot tall trees. You can hike right off the back of the hotel into the mountain trails--day hikes or more. In the hotel were hikers taking a good night's sleep during the GR20 hike.

We were the only Americans anywhere to be found; there were Europeans from all over there. People were so friendly!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We ended up staying for dinner and night in this small charming hotel on our way to Ajaccio as we got stuck in the snow in the Vezzanova pass.
We enjoyed chatting around the fire place with the owner and the crew. The rooms and bathrooms are lovely.
We did not have it but they offer music / singing performances on a regular basis and there are lots of hikes accessible from the hotel.
the landscape covered in snow was wonderful with the morning sun.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family