“Beautiful gardens”

Warner Holme Lacy House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Holme Lacy
Reviewed 14 July 2016

Just had a 3 day break at Warners Holme Lacy house hotel. This hotel has beautiful grounds and has a small putting course. The hotel itself has extensive corridors and depending on where your room is it is a long walk to the restaurant and in the other direction to the Pavilion bar and entertainment area. But there is excellent disabled access with flat floor access and lifts. Would suggest if you have mobility problems hat you check out where rooms are as if you having walking problems. He staff were very warm and friendly. Several restaurants but don't know how these are allocated. We were happy overall with the food and the friendliness of the service.

Entertainment provided by house team was very good and must mention Alister whose rendition of Bring him home from Les Mis was excellent.

Didn't use gym facilities so can't comment on this.

Stayed: July 2016
1  Thank nanplusdan
Holme W, Guest Relations Manager at Warner Holme Lacy House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2016

Thank you for visiting our Trip Advisor page and taking the time to review your recent break with us at Holme Lacy House Hotel. We have 3 restaurants at the hotel which all serve the same food and have the same service; the only difference is the location and decor of the restaurants. The tables are allocated at random by the restaurant team but they do take special requests into account - guests can request to sit in a certain restaurant prior to their arrival and the team do try their best to accommodate any requests where possible. I will be sure to share your kind words with Alister when I see him in work today and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your break. I hope that we will be welcoming you back to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2016

We stayed here for the first time last week. It definitely won't be the last. The entertainment was superb. 4sake That were fabulous. Victor Michael was amazing. The shows by the entertainment staff were really good. The gardens were beautiful. Definitely worth a visit.

Stayed: July 2016
1  Thank Sheila C

Hi and thank you very much for your lovely review. It's fantastic to read that you enjoyed your midweek holiday with us at Holme Lacy House Hotel and I will be sure to share your great feedback with the team here. I hope that we will be seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 12 July 2016

Myself and my wife are around forty years of age (my wife a bit younger and myself just over 40), we fancied a weekend away from the kids and saw Warner Hotels advertised on the TV as 'adult only' and after looking on the web site really fancied a kid free few days and a relaxing break in lovely surroundings. We read the reviews and got a general idea that Warner Hotels mainly catered for the older lady and gentleman but the hotel website stated it had facilities to cater for all age groups.

The hotel is in a beautiful location with great surroundings, lovely short walks and is relatively quiet throughout the day and night which is a bonus. The hotel itself looks like a stately home and is very grand and magnificent when viewed from the outside. I also want to add the majority of the staff at the hotel were excellent during our stay and could not help us enough. Apart from the odd exception the staff worked hard and really made the effort with us from day one.

Now for the negatives:

The hotel desperately needs a general refurbishment, the ceilings in the grand bar area are coming away, the wallpaper is peeling off the walls in the corridors and our bedroom needed a lick of paint. I stay away on business trips with my work and considering Holme Lacy is a 4 star hotel, I have stayed in better decorated budget hotels for one tenth of the cost. The rooms are spacious but look very tired and the bathroom looked unkempt and unclean. The lighting in the hotel absolutely drove my wife and I crazy as everything is low lighting and dull, especially in the dining areas and bars, it needed brighter lights as it was so dark and made you feel lack lustre and ill. The facilities such as gymnasium, swimming pool, sauna and Jacuzzi were bog standard and again looked tired and needed to be redecorated, the swimming pool and Jacuzzi were actually cold which was totally off putting.

Now for the main negative which I think is extremely important for anyone thinking of staying at Holme Lacy House Hotel. The hotel is set up and geared for old aged pensioners only and there is no getting away from that fact. Out of all the guests that stayed in the hotel the same weekend my wife and I did, I can honestly say we were the only ones under the age of 60 years of age. If I am being ruthlessly honest I would say most guests are over the age of 75 years of age. It was like being in a old folks home and we often found the hotel too quiet and empty with absolutely no atmosphere and no people around. The only times that were busy were meal times and first thing in the morning. The empty hotel especially mid afternoon was very off putting and sometimes creepy, there needed to be more ambience or even music playing in the back ground. The nights entertainment would finish too early and the place emptied by 10pm at night the two nights we were there.

I have nothing against old aged pensioners and actually love to chat with anyone any age, but apart from the few exceptions who were lovely and welcoming with my wife and I, we found the majority of the guests rude, obnoxious and slightly arrogant. Hardly anyone said hello and everyone just stared at us and watched our every move. One night I was chatting to my wife during the big band night and one rude old man asked my wife and I if we could stop talking as our head bobbing in front of him was ruining his nights entertainment (no I am not joking), we had hardly spoken a word all night?

The entertainment during the day and night is basically for pensioners and there was nothing really aimed for a younger audience and so my wife and I just went shopping to Hereford for two days which got slightly generic as its a small town. I went to the gym one afternoon and all I can say is I have better equipment in my garage (again the whole gymnasium was empty and quiet). The hotel bar and lounge in the afternoons were silent and my wife and I had to chuckle as the only patrons in the lounge were asleep in their chair.

The hotel staff would come over and laugh with us at every opportunity saying that we should have been warned about the Warner Hotels, as they were just glorified old folks homes, and this left a bitter taste in my mouth as there should be some disclosure or mention about this on the websites. My wife and I spent a lot of money that weekend for what was essentially an old aged pensioners cruise ship hotel.

The food was OK although I still thought it was aimed towards our older generation (lots of soup, carveries and bread), the wine selection was poor and I often found the service a little rushed and chaotic. The seating was a standing joke (excuse the pun), but you are so close to the next table that you would think you were all in the same party, just crushed into a small room and not really a great dining experience.

My wife and I booked a three night stay (Friday to Monday) but in the end left on the Sunday morning as we had simply had enough and wanted to go home, it just depressed us too much. We pretty much gave up a nights stay, wine tasting event and bottle of wine with our meal to get back home where we felt alive again (over 250 pounds lost).

The only staff my wife and I found totally unhelpful and just lazy were the reception staff. We asked them several questions throughout our stay from parking in Hereford to activities in the hotel and everything felt like it was too much trouble. On the Sunday when I told the lady receptionist I was leaving a day early I didn't even get asked why? Not one mention about it, she just made sure she had my credit card details so the drinks were paid for which is extremely poor customer service in my opinion. I just paid the bill and left as couldn't be bothered anymore, I just wanted to get away as fast as possible.

For the younger generation or young at heart avoid this hotel like the plague.

Room Tip: Stay away if you are under 60
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Philebas

Hello and thank you for your review. It is never nice to read a review where a guest has left us feeling unhappy and I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us at Holme Lacy House Hotel. We have activities running throughout the day including rifle shooting and archery that guests of all ages can enjoy and we do try our best to cater for all of our guests needs. We welcome adults of any age to stay with us at the hotel. We also have lounges with background or live music playing throughout the day so I am disappointed that you did not get to experience this and chose to leave early. This year we refurbished 40 of our bedrooms and this programme will be continuing over the next few years to ensure we are offering the best possible accommodation and facilities to our guests. Your comments have been shared with the Leadership Team so that they can look into the issues that you have highlighted. Once again please accept my apologies for your disappointment and if there is anything that you would like to discuss further then please don't hesitate to contact me on 01432 870870.

Reviewed 10 July 2016

Just stayed here for 2 nights for our Pearl Wedding Anniversary..we stayed in an Historic room which had fantastic views over the lawns lake and gardens.The one thing we did notice was that the grand stairway up to the rooms was very dusty and so were the pictures on the walls and around the skirting boards.Food was good and plenty of choice .Also parking needs to be sorted out as we couldnt park in the allocated area as people decided to take up 2 spaces by parking in the centre of 2 bays...very selfish and they should be asked to move them.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StaffordshireJulie
Holme W, Guest Relations Manager at Warner Holme Lacy House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2016

Hello and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Holme Lacy House Hotel. Firstly congratualtions for your Pearl Wedding Anniversary! I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your break with us. I will be sure to mention the point you raised regarding the grand staircase with our Housekeeping Manager and I have shared your comments regarding the carparking with the Leadership Team so that the issues you have mentioned can be investigated further. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Holme Lacy at some point in the future.

Katie Weaver-Hall

Reviewed 5 July 2016 via mobile

We have just returned from a three night Star Break, Jane McDonald. This was our second visit to this hotel.

The hotel is in a beautiful setting and is quite impressive as you approach the building. However, there were unfortunately some issues.

Our first allocated table in the dining room was wedged between a pillar and an air conditioning duct. We asked to be moved which happened the following day. There was confusion with our wine order which continued throughout our stay.

Our main issue is with the Jane McDonald set on the Saturday evening which only lasted for an hour? We had paid a lot of money for this star break and had reasonably expected two sets from Jane. Glad we didn't pay extra for a Gold or Silver reserved seat package!

We will not be returning to Warners.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andy M
Holme W, Guest Relations Manager at Warner Holme Lacy House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2016

Hello there and thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I am sorry to read that you were left feeling disappointed after your stay. I have spoken to our Entertainment Manager and he has confirmed to me that Jane was contracted to perform for 1 hour but she did stay on and actually perform for 1 hour and 20 minutes. I am also sorry that you experienced an issue with your dining table but I am pleased that our Restaurant Team rectified this for you the next day. I hope that we will have the oppurtunity to welcome you back to stay with us in the future and should there be anything else that you would like to discuss further then please feel free to contact me on 01432 870870.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holme Lacy
11.6 km away
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 12 in Ross-on-Wye

Been to Warner Holme Lacy House Hotel? Share your experiences!