“Tasty but tiny”
Review of Cargo Cantina

Cargo Cantina
Ranked #608 of 1,668 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$3 - US$8
Description: A taco bar serving 100% agave tequilas, mezcal and ice cold beers! Access to disabled Gluten Free (all the dishes are 100% gluten free) Vegetarian & Vegan options We don't take bookings Terrace / Smoking area available
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

A small group of us stopped here for a bite on a Saturday evening. It was heaving, which we thought was a good sign. We were pleasantly surprised that we did not have to wait long for a table to become free, however the three of us were crammed on to a table which was only really big enough for two. We ordered the Taco Todos sharing platter and luckily, whilst we were waiting for our food, particularly as two more of our friends had arrived, a larger table became available. The tacos and selection of fillings were really good and there was a nice variety of flavours. The portions were generous for the three of us eating and we didn't quite manage to finish it all between us. We stayed on for a few (quite expensive) drinks, as the atmosphere was good but as it started cooling down we wanted to move inside however there was no room so we decided to move on. Overall a nice place but just a shame there's not a bit more space.

Reviewed 13 August 2017

We had lunch here a few weeks back (sorry for late review). We ordered a good mix of tacos, and while waiting we ordered a basket of nachos with guacamole. Very disappointed to see that the "small plate sized" basket was less than half full when it arrived. As far as I remember it was a 5 or £6 item on the menu, and definitely not worth the money. About halfway through the nachos the waiter tried taking it away from the table - probably as he thought we'd be fully occupied with the arriving tacos. They were delicious by the way - I'd have liked to see one or two more variants on the menu, but I appreciate it's limited what you can stock and prepare in the tiny space. Overall, ok service, good food, but sadly left us with the feeling of 'not worth the money'.

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

Heading to Bristol's official cool zone with a friend for her birthday, freshly back to 15° and rain, from a week in the sun, Cargo Cantina seemed a slightly bitter irony pill to swallow but hey ho, it's new and I'm curious.

A Wednesday evening and it's rammed, inside and out, so we're forced to be bar flies. This turned out to be the prime spot, and I'd definitely recommend it, as the staff are lovely and the stools well padded! They even have hooks for your coat and bag...attention to detail like that make me really very happy!

Unable to choose and with an eye to vfm, we ordered the sharing platter of everything for £18 a head, which comes with pretty much unlimited blue corn tortillas. Everything is gluten free! With so many little pots of delicious authentic yet refined Mexican taco standards, you can really play with the combinations and find your favourite flavours without risk of running out! By the time we'd finished it all, and with one additional helping of tortillas we were both completely sated, in every possible way!

Washed down with several double (exceedingly good) tequila and sodas, we were pleasantly surprised to find the bill came in at only £53.

I say, for a mouthwatering little slice of holiday in the sun on a rainy evening in Bristol, that's a bargain.

1  Thank VParticularDiner
Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

I have visited this establishment on several occasions and had a wonderful experience! It's an intimate bar/restaurant situated by bristol's picturesque harbourside. The staff are very friendly and you feel very looked after, the tacos are delicious and you won't be able to stop ordering them as there lots to try with authentic Mexican fillings! The real jewel in the crown is the lots of different tequilas and mezcals to try, you have to give the dangerous don a go, served in a traditional shell of a random fruit from mexico, the name of it has escaped me but trust me it's very authentic and helped me get through a post birthday hangover! Come here for good food, good booze and good times!

1  Thank Jacob E
Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

The food was average.
There was very little space to eat.
We had to wait 25 minutes for a table.
The 'manager' - Kieran Waite - next to us was rude and impolite.
The head chef ate from the ice cram tub with a spoon straight into his mouth.

4  Thank RWS87
KieranWaite, Owner at Cargo Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Hi there,
I’m very sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your experience at Cargo Cantina. It is obviously our aim to ensure that all our customers leave happy and it is very regrettable that this doesn’t seem to be the case with your experience.
I would like to try and address some of your comments and put them in context. We are a small bar and don’t take reservations, as such once all our bar seats and tables are full then we have no control over how long you may wait to be seated. We are never going to hurry or ask any of our customers to leave. We are however in a fantastic location in the vibrant Whapping Wharf area with loads of great eating options around us so if you aren’t in the mood to wait for a table there are plenty of other options to choose from. You came in at peak time when the bar was full and chose to join a que, so you never ‘have’ to wait 25 minutes for a table although some people do choose to and are happy having a drink and enjoying the atmosphere whilst they do.
I’m not sure why you feel the need to slander me personally as I am neither the manager nor was I working on the floor on the night you visited Cargo Cantina (I am a director of Cargo Cantina, Bravas and Bakers & Co and as such I am often sat in any of these locations working on my laptop.). I don’t know in what way you feel that I was rude or impolite as I am certain that I didn’t speak with you or serve you whilst I sat at the bar and did some work on my laptop which is where I believe you got my name reading my screen over my shoulder.
Finally yes the head chef did taste some food with a clean spoon, we encourage all our chefs to regularly taste and quality check the food which is what I would expect in any good restaurant. They have a stock of clean spoons to hand for just this reason.