“Great pub but the rooms could do better”
Review of The Wellington

The Wellington
Ranked #7 of 49 Bristol B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 May 2017

If you have read any of my reviews you will know I try to keep a positive spin on things, and whilst I really liked the pub ALOT the rooms just let me down a bit. I had what is advertised as a superior King room. I've never stayed in a boutique hotel before and as I was in a tight spot for some accommodation this night, this was my only option. So I took it. On first impressions the room is beautifully decorated in creams and coffees. The en suite had a lovely big shower cubicle with rainfall shower. However, on closer inspection a few things just weren't right. The room was very dusty, the kingsize bed is just too big for the room (the en suite door only just opened and was touching the beds side) there was also slimy scum around the bottom of the shower and an over powering smell of drains when the shower door was opened. The windows which are full length glass look straight out onto Gloucester road and across to neighbouring properties; if you were getting dressed or undressed the curtains had to be closed as there were no nets or blinds. There was nothing extraordinary about this room, no individual touches I was expecting. The thing that stuck in the throat however was the fact that on the website it stated breakfast was included; BEWARE......this only includes a basic continental option of cereal toast and croissants. If you want a cooked breakfast this is an extra £3.00. I know, £3.00 maybe does not sound a lot, but this should be made really clear prior to booking. At the room already being £109 and with no single supplement reduction offered (I was happy to accept any room they had) I feel I had already paid enough for something which I feel could have been so much better. On the upside if you like a chilled surround with great beers and ciders then this is a great place to come with nice food on the menu. But I don't think I would stay here again as I feel it's just overpriced. I am not surprised it was not fully booked.

Room Tip: you will probably be awoken by guests at the front and back going out for a smoke. Or indeed rowing...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank laura s

Reviewed 5 May 2017

A really nicely decorated pub. Well thought out areas, with large dinning area at the back, and a really good large bar area, not often you get that these days. Food is good with a great selection of local and guest beers and ales. defo worth a viit.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
StAustellManagement, Manager at The Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your review. We hope very much to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 19 April 2017

We stayed here for one night as we were going to the Bristol v Wasps rugby match (there's a shuttle bus that picks you up right outside the pub.) Our room was clean and spacious, although it was a bit noisy as it was right at the front, on the road - and it could have done with some blinds or nets to protect our privacy!

We had an evening meal (Easter Sunday) which was limited choice but really well cooked, delicious and very generous portions. The staff were really friendly and helpful.

Breakfast (included in the room rate) was described as 'continental' but it was more than enough - fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereals, croissants, choice of breads for toasting, lots of jams and spreads. You can have a cooked breakfast for an additional £3 but we felt we didn't need it after the huge meal the night before!

There was free parking at the back of the pub.

We've visited this pub on a few occasions, but never stayed overnight before - we were very impressed and we will definitely use The Welly again when we visit Bristol.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the pub as it can be noisy on the road.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
StAustellManagement, Manager at The Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2017

Thank you for your review, we really appreciate the time you've taken to share your experience. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

The pub has very nice decor inside, very friendly, helpful staff. The beer selection is excellent, good wine and fever tree mixers.
We have just stayed overnight with my octagenarian mother. The rooms were very comfortable and well equipped, the stairs could be a problem for those who are not nimble.
Breakfast had a great selection and again the staff were ultra helpful.
There is a bus stop opposite the pub so getting into Bristol is easy and a day inner ticket was £4.
I would recommend the Wellington, really good.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
StAustellManagement, Manager at The Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us have your feedback. It is always welcome to receive such a positive response. We look forward very much to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

Choose this hotel as very close to family. Very friendly staff and clean room, nicely decorated and quiet. The bathroom was a good size, I would have preferred a walk in shower as the bath was deep and we did struggle to step in and out also the water did not go down quickly,! So you stood in ankle deep water every time.
The food was very very good no complaints there, breakfast was also good nothing was trouble. The only one thing that let it down was that on our second night stay we asked for the menu just after 7pm to be told the kitchen was shut! Then guest book stated that to food service was till 8 pm! This was disappointing as we only wanted cheese board and chips! We then had to find some where to eat as we was hungry

Room Tip: No lifts to the rooms, narrow stairs
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
StAustellManagement, Manager at The Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2017

Many thanks for your review - we really appreciate the time you have taken to share your experiences. Please be assured that all your comments are discussed by us as a team and acted upon accordingly. We do hope to see you back here very soon.