“Fun pib”

Ranked #414 of 1,690 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$12 - US$22
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Clifton's most cultured pub.With its secluded secret garden and snug seating areas, the Mall is a winner all year round. The downstairs basement bar lends itself perfectly to a whole host of occasions and is available for private hire. Sundays are the highlight of the week with home-cooked roasts, live Jazz and wine club from 5pm.
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

A lovely pub to watch the hustle and bustle of Clifton. Full of locals happy to chat but very busy. There is a downstairs bar and garden but did not see. Was told it was less crowded. Beer was good and big tables made for nice place to just sit and chat for hours. Professional bar staff meant a lot of people served in quick succession.

General Manager A, Manager at The Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2017

Thank you jiboulden for your great review. We look forward to seeing you again and you can enjoy our fantastic garden

Reviewed 5 August 2017

We had lunch with my daughter, I had fish and chips and my daughter ate a burger.
Good portions and the Fish and chips was not greasy.
The pub is very clean,the garden is lovely too and the staff is very nice.
I Also enjoyed the different tables and furniture.

Thank you petitelulu83 for your fantastic review. Your comments have been passed on to the chefs about your meals and they were over the moon. Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 21 July 2017

Recently refurbished, it’s largely unchanged other than a lick of paint, but it does feel a little more contemporary now and has a light and airy feel, especially downstairs where it could sometimes feel a little gloomy previously.

We hadn’t planned on eating here, but since everywhere else around seemed really busy and we had managed to bag a table here, it seemed like a good option. We decided to go for a sharing platter known as “The Full Hog” (not shown on the menu on their website I notice) which at £27 for two wasn’t particularly cheap but sounded like a good selection of pork based goodies such as a scotch eggs, black pudding bob bons, sausages, crackling, pulled pork pie and so on, as well as a few radishes, celery, piccalilli and sauce. First impressions were that it was all very beige, reminiscent of those cheap buffets or something you might buy in Iceland. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it was like that, just that beige was by far the dominant colour and some other contrast would have made it more visually appealing.

The pulled pork pie had some tasty and tender pork in it, but the shortcrust pastry was a bit on the thick side, especially in relation to the amount of meat. Something lighter and crisper would have been good. The scotch eggs were pretty good with a tasty filling and nice runny yolk in the egg, whilst the sausages too were tasty, something like honey and mustard flavour I think, although the skins were perhaps a little on the tough side. I wasn’t quite sure about the bon bons, they were very soft and mushy in texture in a breadcrumb coating, but they did have a decent black pudding flavour.

Overall, this wasn’t too bad, although I’m not sure it was really worth the price charged. It did what it said on the tin, and whilst I was overall perhaps a little disappointed with how similar some of it was and the bland appearance, that’s as much my fault for ordering it as anything else. It probably wasn’t the best test of the kitchen’s abilities and I would try something else next time. Friendly staff though, and one of the few traditional pubs left in Clifton village make it well worth a visit.

Reviewed 24 June 2017

Visited in June 2017 for evening meal. Only diners eating in restaurant but because it was a glorious summer day that may explain it or so I thought.

Staff were helpful initially. My friends enjoyed their meals however ordered the olives as a sharing starter, came with chilli oil over them which was not advertised, then the steak arrived... both my friend and I ordered the steak, mine medium without horseradish, hers well done with horseradish.

It arrived, I cut into mine and it was the wrong way round. Not a deal breaker at this point. I pointed out this error to staff who took it back to the kitchen... couple of minutes later the steak arrived back. They had simply scrapped over the horseradish butter flipped it and returned it, not realising that we would know that it was the same one because we had initially cut into it and the cut was exactly the same - I was appalled at this.

I queried this with staff who denied this until I pointed out the cut then took it back. I them had to wait over 15/20 minutes for a new steak (which was fatty and by then my hunger had passed). My friends by this point had finished their meals.

When the steak eventually arrived, no immediate offer for it to be taken off the bill and I had to say that I assume it had been taken off the bill, to what the reply was I don't know I'll check. When he eventually returned he then said yes, and then had the offer of a free drink, which I declined. No apology from the manager himself. We left shortly after, with no interest in returning.

Maybe this is what no one else was dining.

Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

Went there. Super choice of beers. Sunny day so Czech lager (one i had tried in Prague) was the order of the day. Reasonable prices. Food looked good but we were more drawn by the choice of beers.

General Manager A, Manager at The Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2017

Thank you for the positive review.

Many thanks,