“Great space!”

Ranked #328 of 1,652 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$0 - US$21
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A charming Clifton village pub.At the heart of Clifton village you'll find a unique and magical pub, where the much-loved retro décor combines perfectly with walls adorned with local artwork. Soak up the atmosphere over a pint of cask ale and a bit of banter with our friendly bartenders, or tuck into some fresh, seasonal pub food lovingly created in our open kitchen. Better still, why not hold your own celebration in our front bar? Whatever takes your fancy at The Clifton, you won't be disappointed.
Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

I booked a table for 10 here last week and everything went smoothly from the online booking through to ordering drinks and settling the bill. A nice menu with plenty of choice and a lovely big pub with a great feel to it.

General Manager A, Manager at The Clifton, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2017

Hey John,
Thanks for the lovely review!

Reviewed 23 March 2017

I made a group booking for a Sunday lunch at the Clifton. The venue itself is really well laid out and is a lovely space to meet in. it seems mainly set up for food, but does still have a small area at the front just for drinks.

The choice on the menu looked great – there were several roast options as well as a normal menu – so something for everyone.

I went for the roast beef, and the beef itself was a lovely tender cut. However, the Yorkshire pudding was solid as a rock and I soon understood why. When looking over at the kitchen area we saw a large plastic tub of Yorkshire puds pre-cooked. When roasts were ready to go out, they went to the tub and pulled out the Yorkshire! Yorkshires are the best bit of a roast..so it’s a shame that they were pre-made and left to go dry.
The was also a server lack of veg..a few roasted carrots with potatoes...but could definitely have done with a bit more greenery.
The roast was fine and will do for a general roast…but not sure I’d take people there for a special occasion.

The staff service was…lacklustre to say the least. Most of the staff seemed in their own little worlds, either ignoring us, forgetting orders, taking a long time to return with drinks (even though it was quiet), and disappearing or near making eye contact so you could never get their attention.
Several times we had to go up to the bar to ask to order, or chase where a missing pudding was…and even to pay!

In short – a nice pub with an alright standard of food for a casual meal. I’m not sure I’m inspired to hurry back though! Many more pubs in that area to try first.

Hey Stef,
I am really sorry to see that your visit wasn't up to scratch - I hope you visit us again so that we can show you how we usually do it

Reviewed 15 March 2017

Excellent choice of food, all well presented and delicious. Great, friendly and helpful staff. Good location and nice atmosphere

General Manager A, Manager at The Clifton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2017

Hey there!
Thanks for the charming review!
I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your visit to us and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

In a time were a normal pub is vanishing from our streets. I like to see that the Clifton is clinging on to the traditional beer shop. KEEP THE BEER FLOWING!

General Manager A, Manager at The Clifton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2017

Hey,
Thanks for the review, we love beer too!

Reviewed 27 February 2017 via mobile

I chose this place to eat based on reviews. I can only assume that sat 25th Feb was a really bad day.
The delay between starter and main caused them to proactively offer all 8 of us a free drink.
The mains eventually arrived. We had been told only 2 portions of linguine left ( 3 wanted it). Obviously only 1.5 portions were really left and that had not been divided equally between the two people having it.
Other people chose lamb. All arrived with something different missing from potato to pesto to veg.
We ordered sweets. Again a huge delay. Really excessive. This was a place to meet our two daughters at uni with a few of their friends. I didn't want to ruin it by complaining.
Puddings eventually turned up. 2 people were sharing the sticky toffee pudding and had checked that it came with vanilla ice cream. It turned up with chocolate! One of the doesn't like chocolate ice cream. When Dan was challenged on this he said they didn't have vanilla and so didn't know what to do.
The brownie should have been with hazelnut ice cream. It too turned up with chocolate. No apology no comment just left.
The lemon tart smelt and tasted off causing people having to spit it out!
That was the point when I did complain. I was given free sweets!
The meal started at 7 and only finished at 930. Not brilliant as we have a 3 hour journey home.
A great family experience marred by some really bad food / delays / organisation. Unfortunately manager was not available or I would have spoken directly to them. I certainly will not be rushing back. What a shame!

Lucia A, Manager at The Clifton, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2017

Hey,
I'd like to start by apologising for your poor experience here at The Clifton.
Both our food and service is something we pride ourselves on so I am disappointed to read your review.
I would like to discuss your visit further and see if there is anyway we can rectify it.
Please get in touch via email (enquiry@thecliftonbristol.co.uk) or over the phone (01179741967)
I look forward to hearing from you.