“don't think just go”

Mathilda's Chilli Bar
Ranked #10 of 28 Dessert in Bristol
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBOURHOOD CHILLI BAR Hidden in the darkest corner of The Bearpit... Texan Brisket Chilli (No Beans!), 3 Bean Chilli, Sides and Ice cream sundaes Weds - Sat 5pm - 10pm
Reviewed 22 May 2016

went dinning with a group of friends , the food was amazing. the menu is simple and has good selection of beers.
we ordered sides and main and dessert .
we did not need this much food , the main on its own is more the substantial, i was with a veggie and meat eater. who both enjoyed there chili the same and would be eager to go back .

This is a great place to go eat, if your reading reviews just stop now and go!

Reviewed 5 May 2016

Went to Mathilda's on an early Wednesday evening for a quick, reinvigorating and comforting bite to eat after a long day at work. It's very tucked away and was empty when I went in. I was just looking to enjoy some good food and wind down.

It did the job entirely I have to say. I got the Texas brisket chili without cheese and it really was delicious- great quality meat, wonderfully flavoursome sauce, perfect rice & guac to go with it, plus sour cream of course.

I couldn't finish the deep fried gherkins, and I'm not sure the concept entirely works- but the accompanying blue cheese sauce was very nice.

The service was friendly without being cloying. Plus great music to accompany your meal. Pay it a visit and you can enjoy a fabulous meal for around a tenner.

Reviewed 3 April 2016

If you like Chilli, you'll find it hard to not fall in love with this place. There are no frills or silly gimmicks here, they do exactly what they say on the tin. Chilli. Good Chilli. Be it bean, meat, or a mixture of the two, you're served with fresh guacamole, a bowl of rice and sour cream.
I had the brisket, as did my friend, and she also had the fried pickle. Both of us loved the meal, it was just as spicy as I'd want it to be (with the option of adding more heat if you wanted). The 50p for the tiny amount of cheese seemed a bit much and I'd have loved the guacamole to have been twice the size, but other than that I was very happy. Perhaps in the future, half a baked potato would be a lovely alternative to the rice.

The venue is cute, well kept, nothing fancy, but clearly loved by the couple running it. The service was really warm and nothing was too much. Alcohol is reasonably priced. I'd love to have been able to do take away from there - perhaps getting on deliveroo should be their next move.

Defiantly worth checking out!

Reviewed 2 April 2016 via mobile

We've just had one of the best chilli ever. Highly recommend! Get the half and half with cheese.

5 stars!

Reviewed 5 March 2016

Good vibes, lovely chilli (I had the 3 bean, the rest of the crew had half n half) Deep Fried Gherkins to start, Wiper & True beers, efficient and unobtrusive service. Open kitchen with fantastic smells emanating into the atmosphere.

Icing on the (birthday) cake - they were celebrating a birthday and we got free mescal shots on the house!

Happy Birthday Guys, see you next time we are in town.