“Missing the point in Cider.”
Review of The Cider Press

The Cider Press
Ranked #970 of 1,688 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$3 - US$19
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 20 May 2017

I am a local and a cider fan, I never drank in the Cider Press before the refurb due to the fact of the poor cider selection. Since the refurb I noticed the 32 cider selection so paid a visit the other night. I am impressed with the wall of cider taps but was very unimpressed that the best local ciders are not here. The Drapers arms up the road has just won a CAMRA award for best pub in Bristol. They only have one Cider on tap. Its Wilkins Cider and its brilliant. Where is the Hecks Cider and Perry's? What about Riches Cider? The Cider has the potential to a great Cider pub but you really need to be the talking to the cider farms. the pub seems to be more a student pub and sports bar than a place for cider lovers.
Also....Please Please bring back the dartboard this tradition needs to be saved. More pub games and vintage arcade games and pinball tables. I know pubs are suffering and focussing on food but you have loads of space. Thank you.

Reviewed 14 May 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and I came in for some food. The barmaid was clueless, half the wines on the menu weren't available and the pizzas we had were substandard, doughy jokes.

CiderPressBristol, Manager at The Cider Press, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2017

Hello

We have taken on several new staff recently due to many of our students leaving after finishing their courses in Bristol so I apologise if their knowledge of the menu was not 100%. All of our wines are in stock except 1 so possible she did not know where to look but I will bring this up at this weeks staff meeting and inform them not to be shy and ask if they need some help or support. Please feel free to contact me at the pub or e mail me your number if you wish to discuss this further.

Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

Today (Friday 5th May 2017) queued up for 20 minutes, to find out they had no steaks. Instead of being apologetic she grunted "what do you want instead of steak". The bar maid was really rude. Don't think I'll be heading back anytime soon.

Extremely disappointing finish to a wonderful afternoon.

Hi Chris

We are really sorry about that we were so busy due to the cricket finishing hours early and the barmaid was rushed off her feet. I am very sorry she was not more polite. Please accept my apologies on her behalf. If you do wish to talk to me regarding this do not hesitate to pick up the phone or e mail me your number.

Reviewed 5 April 2017

Me and my husband had a leisurely Sunday afternoon meal at the pub. We actually
wanted to go to another pub on Gloucester Road, but they had long waiting time for food, as they were busy, and I was very hungry so we went for The Cider Press. This despite having a vague recollection of having eaten there a while back and the food being "nothing special."

I ordered the Classic Burger, which according to the menu comes "in a soft glazed brioche bun, with beef tomato, mixed leaves, pickled red onion and our house burger sauce, plus chips and a garlic mayonnaise dip". I upgraded my chips to sweet potato fries. When the burger arrived however, it consisted of the bun, the beef patty and a tiny bit of sauce in between, plus the fries. Nothing else at all. Just the patty in a bun with a minimal amount of sauce.

When staff came over to ask if our food was okay, we pointed it out that most of the stuff the burger was supposed to come with never actually materialised. The guy serving us said that he's sorry, confirmed that it's NOT how the burger is meant to be served, and he'd go have a word with the chef, as he doesn't know what has happened. He made it sound like he wasn't finished with us.

We both sort of expected him back with a more detailed apology and the result of him consulting the chef, or maybe even an offer of a free coffee/dessert/refill of the soft drink, to make up for the food having been served the way it was. That never happened. We finished our food, and when we started leaving, the same staff member clearly saw us, and moved towards us from behind the counter. We both paused for a moment, as it looked like he was coming over to say something more, but all he said was "Thanks and bye."

We left and felt quite puzzled, as the whole experience was odd. Outside, we both immediately asked each other "did you also get the feeling that he'd be back and do more about our problem?" And we both had the same feeling. So expect to be served quite boring food at the best of times, and if the chef doesn't feel like it, with half the stuff the menu lists missing, and staff do nothing to rectify it.

With Gloucester Road having literally dozens of pubs, restaurants, cafes, we won't be having any food in The Cider Press again. They might have a large selection of cheap alcohol, but avoid ordering any food.

The rating is "poor" instead of "terrible" because at least the sweet potato fries were nice.

CiderPressBristol, Manager at The Cider Press, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2017

Hi Katlin

I am very sorry this has happened. Please get in touch with me at the pub on 01179 892471 and I will be more than happy to get this refunded for you or have you in for some replacement meals on us.

Reviewed 1 March 2017 via mobile

Absolutely love the new menu here! Whilst the pizzas aren't massive they are so filling - I tried the mac and cheese pizza and was pleasantly surprised. The staff were friendly and helpful on our visit. The cider press wasn't somewhere I would've visited often before but really impressed with the changes since the refurb and will be visiting again soon!

CiderPressBristol, Manager at The Cider Press, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2017

Thank you Kerry-Ann we look forward to seeing you again soon.