“Fiesta Time!”
Review of Wahaca Bristol

Wahaca Bristol
Ranked #145 of 1,831 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$9 - US$19
Description: The creation of 2005 Masterchef winner Thomasina Miers, Wahaca brings the true taste of Mexico to the UK. Dispelling outdated stereotypes of tacky sombreros and sticky tex-mex, Wahaca is fresh and vibrant in their flavours, branding and thinking, having won many awards for their food, sustainability and design innovation. Check them out for the tastiest tacos on the Triangle.
Reviewed 15 April 2017

We popped in without booking, it was a busy early Saturday evening, and the staff could not have been more helpful, accommodating, and friendly. I've eaten a lot of Mexican and this place compares with the best. Lots of little plates of street food loveliness, with a chilli kick sprinkled across them all - tortilla soup, empanadas, tortillas, enchiladas, burritos, tiayuda, tostadas, tacos, taquitos - all outstanding. Wash it down with a mexican beer and a fine selection of tequilas. Bueno!

1  Thank Timothy N
Steven R, Manager at Wahaca Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2017

Hi Timothy N,

Thank you so much for such a delightful review! I'm thrilled to read you were so well looked after by the team throughout your time with us :)

By the sounds of it, you certainly sampled some wonderful dishes, a lot of my favourites too! The Tlayuda Chorizo, the newest of our specials, is simply divine! Did you know the queso fresco cheese we use on this comes from 'Gringa Dairy' which is an artisan dairy which specialise in making authentic Mexican cheese in a railway arch in South East London (Peckham to be exact). They use milk that is collected from the morning milking and transformed into really delicious cheese the very same day. YUM!

Next time you fancy coming in to grab a bite, drop me a message on bristol@wahaca.co.uk so i can be sure to save you a table and get a little something from me :)

Thank you once again, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 14 April 2017

Coming from L.A., we know Mexican food. Wahaca tries too hard to look cool but does not really deliver with the cuisine. We're still searching for a go-to Mexican restaurant in Clifton area. Had high hopes for Wahaca -- but for us, it's zero for two and we will not be going back. Should have figured from the get go - they misspelled the state of Mexico that gives it its name -- it's Oaxaca, guys, not Wahaca.

Steven R, Manager at Wahaca Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2017

Hi JimmySee,

Sorry to hear you felt we didn't live up to the Mexican scene you found over in LA. When Thomasina and Mark set out to create Wahaca, they did go to get the blessing from the people of Oaxaca to anglicise the name.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback, and we truly hope you'll be back to dine with us soon.

Reviewed 14 April 2017

Had been looking forward to going to a Wahaca for a while. We were not disappointed at all. Excellent food and good value.

1  Thank Dee C

Hi there Dee C,

I'm so thrilled to read you had such a wonderful time with us recently here at Wahaca Bristol :)

I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed the food so much and felt you got your money's worth.

Please message us on bristol@wahaca.co.uk next time you'd like to come in and we'll make sure we get you a table saved!

Thank you for your fab feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

I've been to Wahaca a fair few times and have thoroughly enjoyed it, I've also given it the benefit of the doubt when the service was slow as it gets extremely busy on a Saturday night. However last night was a Monday which is generally in the restaurant trade the grave yard shift. It was fairly quiet and we were seen to quite quickly to start with. The waitress took our drinks order whilst we waited for the other guests to join us. I ordered the hibiscus gin and tonic and asked for slimline tonic but was told I couldn't as they only do one type of tonic (bad luck to any diabetics in the room then!) the two other guests joined us and they ordered their drinks, one of them asked for cider and was told they don't do cider! We are in the West Country surely it would be worth having cider on the drinks menu?? We then ordered our food, it came and as they were about to serve us the table next to us complained which stopped our waiter from serving us our food momentarily, wouldn't it have been best to finish earning us with the "hot" food before dealing with their issue? We ate our food which was very nice, to then wait and wait and wait for some one to take our plates, we weren't asked if we wanted any more drinks which we all may of had and in the end one of the party had to walk around the restaurant to find a member of staff to get us the bill and some water as we were all parched. Such a shame the service was so bad as I do enjoy the food at Wahaca but just don't feel like I want to spend my hard earned money there ever again.

Hi BristolAbi,

I'm so sorry to read you had such a poor experience with us recently. Regardless of what day it is, we always aim to deliver that WOW service we pride ourselves on. So to read this was so greatly missed when you dined with us, truly is disappointing.

Upon reading the rest of your review, it definitely sounds like we missed the mark which is a real shame as we never want a single customer to leave feeling like they haven't had a pleasant time with us.

I would massively appreciate if you could message me personally on bristol@wahaca.co.uk when you get time, so I can discuss your visit in greater detail and see if we can get you to come back so we can give you a true, WOW, Wahaca experience.

Many thanks, I hope to speak with you soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

There are good and bad reports in this place So, my thoughts ...
The food is great but the service is terrible. In fact it's worse than that.
So slow and the staff don't seem to care. I got my main and ordered more wine, it arrived when I had finished my main, that is terrible
BUT, when I ordered the bill it was there in a shot followed by the waiter with the card machine. Big letters on the bill. SERVICE NOT INCLUDED
No way Jose. Food great, tip the chef. ........ sod the chef

Steven R, Manager at Wahaca Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2017

Hi davelester7,

I'm so sorry to read that your recent visit to us recently wasn't up to scratch. Here at Wahaca we not only pride ourselves in delicious Mexican grub but also top notch customer service, so to read the latter wasn't met when you dined with us, truly is disappointing.

I would greatly appreciate if you could message me on bristol@wahaca.co.uk so I can discuss your visit further and see if we can get you to come back so we can give you a true Wahaca Experience.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.