“Lovely atmosphere and great sweet selection”
Review of Pantry

Pantry
Price range: US$6 - US$13
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 21 February 2015

This place is lovely - a great menu choice and the sweet selection is delicious. It tends to be different each time we go, which means we always have something new to try, and the bakes are wonderful. Lots of the recipes are quite different to the average coffee shop and I've not yet tried something I haven't completely loved!

Service is brilliant and the atmosphere is great - a calm little spot with a warm welcome.

I'd say that the savoury selection is a little more limited and portion sizes are small for the cost, possibly.

1  Thank Sanum K

Reviewed 19 February 2015

You've got to try it! Lovely handmade food, great coffee :) they know their stuff. Will definitely come back!

Reviewed 12 February 2015 via mobile

Nice atmosphere and nice food. Nothing particularly special but great location for an afternoon catch up

Reviewed 12 February 2015

I decided to come here for a quick coffee while I was in the area and, while I didn't head all the way out of High Wycombe just to come here, it would have been worth the walk alone if I had. Both the drink and the cake were amongst the very best I have ever had anywhere. This is another place you can walk by without knowing that it's there though.There is no sign outside other than a grey name on the window in the door, which is missed all too easily and I ended up walking past this place without even knowing it was there despite the fact that I was looking for it. The plain white look on the outside simply isn't enough.

Drinks-wise, the menu here is about what you would expect in terms of range. However, food-wise there are a surprisingly large number of options. I don't think I have ever seen so many different cakes to choose from (I think there were around ten in total) in an independent coffee shop that doesn't specialise in them. The food menu also seemed rather large, taking up two whole pages in a font size that wasn't large at all. However, I didn't have a proper look at it as that wasn't what I came here for. I was here for a hot chocolate and a cake and I ended up selecting a chocolate brownie with white chocolate to accompany my drink.

The hot chocolate was fantastic. Much better than anything you will get from a chain and also much better than you will find in most independent coffee shops. In fact, this was probably one of the best I have ever had anywhere. The froth on top was really nice and it managed to slowly drain throughout the entire drink instead of separating early on like it sometimes does in other places. The froth accompanied the hot chocolate itself really well, making the flavour all the better. There was some nice decoration on top in the form of a leaf to boot.

The brownie was even better than the hot chocolate and it was absolutely perfect. The flavour was nice and rich without it being too sickly and it managed to find the perfect balance between moist and dry. Unless you like your brownies excessively towards one extreme, there is no way you wouldn't love the brownies they sell here. It was so good that I was tempted to buy a second for the next day. It's not often that you find a place that pulls off both an excellent hot chocolate and an excellent cake. Normally you have to settle for one or the other, but this place pulled off both to perfection.

The service here was, for the most part, what you would expect. It's a fairly large coffee shop and there are a few staff members available, so they weren't chatty but the two I dealt with seemed friendly enough. They take the orders to you instead of making you wait at the counter and you pay after instead of up front which is refreshing whenever it takes place. A number of independent coffee shops fail to do one of these, never mind both.

The cost here was the only negative. The drinks and cakes cost a little more than you would pay on average, but not excessively so and given how good both were I thought they were worth the little extra cost. The problem lied in the food menu. I didn't look at too much on there but they were charging around £8 for a bowl of soup, which I felt was an absolute joke and not what you would expect from a place like this.

The decor in here is almost pure white and they've gone for a minimalistic look. There isn't much in terms of decoration outside of the counter area, but the look really works well for a place like this and it's quite different from what you would expect from an independent coffee shop. The only problem was that they seem to have tried to carry this look over to the outside with a plain white sign. While it worked for the interior, it simply didn't work for the exterior as it made it all too easy to walk by the place without knowing it was there, even if you go there looking for it.

2  Thank St John C
Reviewed 4 February 2015

What a fabulous little place! A large selection of teas, some beautiful cakes and lovely sandwiches and light meals. I'm so pleased I found this place, just a shame it's not open on a Sunday. The service was excellent, great atmosphere and good prices.

1  Thank Princey71