“Great find”

Ranked #14 of 255 Restaurants in High Wycombe
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: With the relaxed ambiance of an English country pub, an elegant menu made from local produce and plenty of room to breathe (and park) the Grouse & Ale is the perfect venue for a social occasion or an informal meeting/function that needs more than just biscuits and coffee.The entire bar and restaurant is WIFI and there are plenty of niches to relax in with open fires to banish any winter chills, come the summer, take your drinks outside into our secluded courtyard.We hope that you will feel able to relax in comfortable surroundings, secure in the knowledge that the service, drinks and food will be perfect – whatever the occasion; Sunday lunch, a romantic dinner or a business session.Gastro Pub of the Year - 2010Quite simply, we’re very proud of our food. Our approach to designing the menu, reflects our ethos – do the simplest things brilliantly well. Our daily specials reflect a table d’hôte offering to supplement the a la carte menu along with an extensive, informal menu at the bar. Wherever possible, our menus are created from locally sourced produce and meats.
Reviewed 5 November 2017

We visited on Saturday lunchtime for the first time as it was about halfway on our journey home, and chose this place after reading the great reviews on Trip Advisor. They had a large party to cater for and were unsure if any more bookings could be taken, but we were lucky, however they did say service may not be as fast as it would usually be. We were fine about that as were not in any hurry, although as it turned out the timing was perfect for us.

The interior of the place and seating was very comfortable, and a very good selection available on the menu. Drinks were ordered and came promptly. My husband and I both chose the rump steak with the garlic butter and must say it was cooked to perfection and very enjoyable. We both had a dessert, my husband the sticky toffee pudding and I chose the trio of desserts which came with coffee, and we both tried some of each other’s!

The service, the staff, the food were all excellent, and although this place is a little further than we would normally travel to for a meal, we both certainly would like to return before too long. Keep up the good work.

2  Thank Gail T

Reviewed 4 November 2017

We celebrated my sons birthday in October with a surprise birthday dinner with family and friends. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was excellent and very good value. Highly recommend it and will definitely go back.

2  Thank Joyce P
Reviewed 3 November 2017

Whilst on holiday we visited this lovely restaurant, very friendly, helpful staff. Delicious food. Would highly recommend.

2  Thank Janeeda
Reviewed 25 October 2017

Met for a family get together of 20. Staff very helpful as some of us were delayed and they were very accommodating in a 30 minute wait before serving up. Food was good tasty pub grub! Can recommend Camembert starter, veg hotpot, fruit crumble and sorbet to name but a few. Roasts looked good too with a generous serving of meat. Service was excellent considering we were a large party.
Would love to give 5 stars but meal let down because of the after meal cuppa!! Don't know whether guests don't normally have tea and coffee after their meal? Perhaps the introduction of a few tea and coffee pots might be the answer?

2  Thank Yellowcaat
carlos m, Owner at The Grouse and Ale, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

Thank you for choosing Grouse & Ale for your family gathering. I'm glad you enjoyed the meal and that the staff looked after you very well. We hope that you will visit us again very soon when there will be a nice pot of tea waiting! Best wishes, Carlos.

Reviewed 23 October 2017

I recently went with an old friend to the Grouse and Ale for an evening meal in the restaurant, he hadn't been there for many years, I go fairly often but usually eat in the bar with my children. We hadn't booked and it was extremely busy, but we got a table in the restaurant which had a lovely atmosphere with candles lit etc, we chose a steak with peppercorn sauce and pork loin, drinks service was quick as was ordering, food didn't take too long to come even though they were busy and both meals were really lovely. My friend said I had chosen the venue well and he eats out 3 or 4 times a week! I have had the odd few meals where I thought standards had slipped a little bit where food such as calamari has been a bit overly greasy but on this visit I think I can safely say the Grouse is back on form.

1  Thank lindae1965

Thank you so much for your lovely review. I'm really thrilled that you enjoyed your meal and were pleased with the service provided. We look forward to seeing you again very soon. Very best regards, Carlos