6 people are viewing this hotel
US$144
Booking.comUS$170
Trip.comUS$170
FindHotelUS$171
All reviews station car park secret escapes beautiful hotel comfortable bed shower cap building work botanical gardens huge bed walk in shower nespresso machine first floor breakfast service bottle of prosecco public areas city centre front of house a lovely stay
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 August 2018

We stayed here for 1 night during the recent heat wave and picked it because it was one of the few hotels in Cambridge with AC and I would stay there again. I would not normally care about AC in the UK but our previous night had been in an airless hotel room that was over 100F. For the area this is a fairly up-market hotel that you would normally find in larger cities (in the UK at least). It's near the station and plenty of shops and casual dining nearby. We paid quite a lot for our rooms but that was a same day booking on a Saturday when they were almost full. Oddly the front desk told me they were sold out but then I was immediately able to book 2 rooms online with Expedia. I think the hotel is fairly new as are the staff so my only observation/complaint is that we had a few issues that hopefully they will iron out with time and experience.

The biggest issue was that the water was cut off for most of the time we were in the hotel. It was off when we returned home late in the evening, on again briefly in the morning (in time for me to have a shower) and then off again (my wife and kids not so lucky). This seemed to be a hotel wide problem so I'll assume it's a temporary issue. Ultimately I got most of my money back for the rooms so I think they handled it as well as could be expected.

The smaller issue is that the windows and window ledges to our hotel rooms were completely caked in pigeon poo. I think we were on top floor so I guess the birds hang out on the roof above. This is a solvable problem but had we been there for more than a night i think looking at the world through pigeon poo might have got tiring. Unless they have a sideline in mining Guano they probably want to fix that.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank TimBNY
Jeremy H, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Dear TimBNY

Thank yo for talking the time to review your recent stay with us and we are delighted that you has a great time. We are in the process of pigeon proofing the hotel and I an delighted to say that the water issue has been resolved.

We look forward to seeing you the next time you visit the city.

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

To be fair to the hotel it’s very well appointed, each room is stylishly decorated, a decent size.
The batheroom is again a decent size - shower head wasn’t that special.
In the current heat the room’s A/C was very welcome and the bed massive - took me 3days to find my girlfriend in it, slept like baby.

We only had breakfast in the hotel and the dining area continues the decor theme through out.
We thought the menu in the evening was limited and chose to explore the city some more.
Staff were lovely, attentive and polite.
For the £280 price it was probably a smidge over priced but given the proximity to the train station can see the appeal for the business user.
Car parking was at the train station, not at the hotel but pretty cheap for overnight stays.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear mmulcaster

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of the hotel and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

We do hope to see you again on your next visit to Cambridge.

Reviewed 6 August 2018

The Tamburlaine was a fantastic, clean and refreshing place to stay in Cambridge. A short walk into the city centre is required, but this allows for you to get the lay of the land and find some great restaurants along the way!

The rooms are well sized, clean and the beds are an absolute dream. Would recommend this hotel for a business stay, solo or couples get away, not really geared up to be kid friendly!

Room tip: Make sure you have breakfast!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Cassie M

We are delighted you enjoyed oyur recent stay with us and thank you for leaving such a wonderfull review.

We do hope to see you again soon.

kind regards

Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

Nice and clean hotel. Close to the railway station and walking distance from city center. Spacious rooms, nice bathroom with aminities. No mini bar, though room service and tea facilities. Great gym facilities. Extensive breakfast. We did not have dinner in the hotel. But should be nice too. The steamer cafe next door is easy for a coffee or sandwich. Around the corner there are more eateries and coffee places. Staff is friendly and accurate. Would definitely visit again.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank PascallK
Jeremy H, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2018

Dear Pascall K

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us and I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future

Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

..but some kinks to work out. I was one of the guests that was there while they had no water.

As I understand these things can happen, that are not always the fault of the hotel, how you handle adversity is key. Some training with the staff for unexpected issues is needed.

My major complaint is that when I checked in that evening (flight was late), the hotel manager checked us in, but did not tell us there was no water until after checked in. Had I known that, I could have at least looked for other options. Only after multiple guests were complaining about having some water, did they supply some bottled water. It was difficult to not be able to use the toilet or shower. No public restrooms close either. The A/C was not great also. We had it on the coldest setting all night, and still not that cool by morning.

The positives...new and clean hotel; next to train station; bed was comfortable.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Timhbca,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and please do accept my apologies for the lack of water, I am delighted to say that the issue is resolved and we have had no other issues.

Each bed room has its own air-conditioning unit, which can be controlled by the guest from within the room.

We do hope to see you again on your next visit to the city.

Kind regards,