“Amazing birthday lunch”

Indidog Eatery On The Harbour
Ranked #11 of 224 Restaurants in Falmouth
Price range: US$8 - US$84
Description: INDIdog is an excellent eatery located right on the waters edge in the centre of Falmouth tucked away from the hustle and bustle. Customers are able to enjoy a simple coffee, tea or cake, a light bite or a long luxurious meal - it's a space which offers something for everyone. Wonderful sweeping views of the water can be seen from any seat in the house while you sip a beautifully crafted cocktail or tuck into a steak, a bowl of mussels or a stack of pancakes. INDIdog really is a must.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We came in at the weekend for my birthday meal and had the best time! Food came promptly and with very friendly service. I had the pancakes with bacon and my friend ordered the Benedict which she said was the best she’s ever had. Would highly recommend, the view is also outstanding from all angles of the restaurant!

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (288)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We ate here earlier this week having been to Indidog a few times previously, all absolutely lovely. The location is stunning as mentioned previously. I booked at least 3 months ago on line and yet we were given a table right by the toilet door where we could hear the hand dryer every time the door opened. After 10 minutes of no one coming even to offer us a drink we asked to move and were given another table very much on the side of the restaurant. We still had to wait at least 15 minutes for some one to take a drink order. Food arrived approximately 40 minutes after we had sat down. Choices for each course were limited. Our scallops arrived on a bed of inedible seaweed. My friend ordered pork having asked if it was well done and told it was, and when it came it was very pink. She had to return this for more cooking. I had the fish of the day which was very nice albeit with a large amount of butter, my chips were did not arrive and the waitress apologised and said they had gone to another table. They arrived after I had finished the fish and my friend’s pork arrived after everyone had finished. To sum up t was a pretty disappointing and underwhelming experience which is a shame as it was my friend’s 65th birthday celebration. We have subsequently cancelled a further booking for later in the week.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We dined here one evening last week with friends (they had been before) and it was a very enjoyable experience. Covid precautions were in place which had the effect of reducing the menu however we had no problem choosing, and all were very satisfied with their choices. The view from the restaurant is out across the water made for a very memorable evening, would definitely come here again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I am going to start this review by noting there are a lot of excellent points to this restaurant.
The setting, is of course, stunning. Right in the harbour, with an outdoor deck and beautiful, modern indoor decor. There is handy parking right by it too.

The staff are very friendly, inparticular, the serving staff who are young, and smiley, professional and just, the kind of people you want serving you. We were also told about all the current Coronavirus precautions being taken and how to behave in the restaurant.

Now, for the more negative bits.

I am writing this from a vegan perspective, of course, so meat eaters may not really relate to this at all. We did dine with two meat eaters who found their food delicious, they both had the pork option and said it was really good.

From a vegan perspective, our experience wasn’t so good. Now, I appreciate there are other places in the area with vegan options and this place was not saying it was vegan, rather than if you come with your family here perhaps you can get a vegan bite and don’t have to sit with nothing.
However, I think it is worth any restaurant who does make the effort to have a vegan option, like Indidog does, to make a good one, and this is where the restaurant falls down.
The vegan offering for a starter was vegetables, an asparagus I think with some salsa verde and other bits. We avoided it because we didn’t feel it warranted £7.50.
The main, and only vegan option, was a summer salad plate. This plate was £15. That’s a £15 salad. Where they have justified the price is by being really strong on the fact they are foraged leaves, and the salad also had edible flowers, pickled cauliflower and some sort of beetroot sauce. Let’s be clear, the salad was absolutely delicious. My partner and I both agreed it was as nice as a salad gets. We also had garlic oil potatoes on the side which were very tasty, but extra.

However, did it justify £15? Was it going to leave a vegan satisfied? No, sadly not. They made the mistake many restaurants make when offering a vegan option (although this is more of an old school problem now) and they have left out any protein. No griddled tofu, teriyaki seitan, curried chickpeas - or any other vegan protein that could be added easily to the dish.
It wouldn’t have cost them much to add a 30p tin of chickpeas to the dish, but it would have given us much more meal satisfaction. Our meal was a HUGE pile of deliciously foraged leaves, and it was beautiful. However, it just wasn’t satisfying at all, and we had pizza on the way home. Your meat eater dish - meat or fish, carbohydrates, veggies. Your vegan dish - leaves. The vegan dish doesn’t even come with a carbohydrate on it.

Despite many a rubbish joke - vegan food is not just rabbit food and it shouldn’t be either. If you’re going to offer a vegan option, please make it substantial and don’t just lean on foraged leaves to justify the price. It isn’t expensive to add protein to a vegan meal.

In addition, sadly there was another issue that really left us a bit sad to be honest. My partner happily enjoyed his meal and then stopped as a huge beetle happily walked through it. A beautiful big glass bead sized beetle. Whilst we admired him, we didn’t expect him to be in our food. Freshly foraged yes - but properly washed would have been excellent. My partner showed the waitress who took it away and returned with a new, noticeably smaller plate of vegan salad. Whilst friendly, she didn’t seem very apologetic or phased by what had happened either. At this point, not only had my partner nearly eaten a big beetle in his food, but he was compensated with even fewer expensive leaves than before. He ended up having mine as I got bored halfway through anyway and felt bad for him.

He was embarrassed and we felt a bit sad as this was a meal for his Mums 60th, in part why we chose to visit this particular location. His mum just felt bad for him with his leaves and the beetle too. He nearly asked not to have a replacement but he was so hungry he did.
We all opted out of dessert because of our experience with the mains. There is a vegan dessert, I think fruit and yogurt.

We paid up, and it came to £107 with four drinks, a bowl of olives and four mains. So about £25 a person, which wouldn’t have been so bad, apart from the poor vegan mains offered. We also hoped for some compensation for the beetle incident but none was offered and my partner is super shy to say anything and didn’t want us to make a fuss.

My main point to Indidog, is please either offer a better vegan option with some protein on it OR just don’t offer any vegan options. Please don’t steal peoples money and cash in on them being there with family where they have to endure your only offering because they are vegan. It’s not on in current times, when there are so many creative vegan options out there. Either do it properly, or don’t do it at all.

As it stands, I would rate this place unsuitable for vegans. You have vegan options, but you’re not vegan friendly.

2  Thank iheartvegan
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

A beautiful May evening by the harbour should have been a special evening celebrating the end of University with the family. We booked for 6.45pm at one of our favourite Falmouth eateries. Our welcome was good, our table service from Luca exceptional. My Vegan niece found the menu rather limited and plumped for the £15 Summer Plate - what a disappointment: a selection of leaves with pumpkin seeds and beetroot, a few nasturtium flowers and little more, maybe a couple of croutons - hardly main course fare. My son had the Rump of Lamb which was on the tough side - again we were disappointed. My daughter had the scallops (which were great) but served on a bed of seaweed (edible but not really for eating suggested the waitress) - why not use an edible variety? My Plaice was fantastic..the only dish that was! I’m afraid we were so disappointed that we didn’t bother with desert. Is this a case of resting on your laurels? When we first ate here the food was fantastic, we shouted it from the rooftops. On a few more occasions we came and slowly but surely each time we are a little more underwhelmed. Is this a case of riding on your initial successes and your enviable position on the harbour? If it hadn’t been for the fantastic service of Luca (our waiter) I would have been more vocal at the time. We did tell our waiter our thoughts, so hopefully this will already have registered with you. I would love you to respond!

Date of visit: April 2021