Free cancellation until 27/07
US$245
Free cancellation until 22/07
US$184
US$175
Budock Vean Hotel(Mawnan Smith)
US$257
Seaview Inn(Falmouth)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$91
Hotels.com
All reviewsswimming poolsteam roomnew ownerschanging facilitieseggs benedictwedding receptionspa bathfunction roomfour poster bedvisited this hotelleisure facilitieslounge areabreakfasts were excellenthigh standardfollowing morningone night staycooked breakfast
Reviewed 16 February 2018

We came here for a relaxing weekend away and this charming family run hotel was just what we needed. The new apartments make for a great addition to an already lovely hotel. The staff are friendly and professional, we look forward to staying again when we are next in Falmouth.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Emma P, Manager at Merchants Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2018

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are so pleased to read you enjoyed your weekend, we hope we can tempt you back, perhaps for a holiday in Landlubber or Lookout soon.

Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

I’m not one for writing reviews or spitting my dummy out .......

However ‘Merchants Manor’ deserves a rant
!! For no other reason than the new owners shocking approach to a family member on their departure.

My family and I have been staying at this hotel for 35 years + and have always enjoyed the stay and don’t get me wrong in the last few years of the Greenlawns era the place was getting tired, run down and the decor was in desperate need of tlc. Delighted to here that it has gone through a change of ownership and dazzled by the new website and re branding I was rather looking forward to my short stay, even though I was there for a family funeral.

We arrived late evening after a long stressful drive and was greeted with a ‘cosy room’ or pungent stale chlorine room as it’s now known.

Now I know the room was only £125 and I know what the old branded hotel was like. And I appreciate the building works they have going on which oddly didn’t bother me despite the car park being halved in capacity due to work vehicles. This made parking a challenge, enter the moving of giant flower pot so we could double dip the space with a fellow family member. We had to open the patio doors for over an hour to allow ‘fresh’ air to vent the room to make it bearable, it really was that strong. And don’t get me started on the mis match decor of the room. I can only presume they are half way through the refurb of this room. (God I hope so)

Breakfast as I always fondly remembered was fabulous and the two restaurant staff were on point throughout. Stale room forgiven I’m only here for two nights and a happy belly goes a long way.

Funeral out of the way, we arrive back at the hotel for the wake........

Many things were wrong with the afternoon/ evening wake but this is the one issue that has caused me to review the hotel.

I have the fortune of being able to stay at some of the most beautiful hotels in the country and I stay at my fair share of privately owned hotels.
And never in all the years staying in hotels have I been so infuriated at the way certain members of staff acted towards members of our family.

I’m not going to go into detail to much much but when a 67 year old lady, a 72 year old lady and an 88 year old lady get asked to leave the two sofas in front of the open fire because they are ‘disturbing’ other hotel guests you start to question what planet these people are on. Two of these ladies I might add were staying in the hotel !!!!!!!

He went on to ‘order’ them to move three more times before eventually they made there way to the dark and uninviting corner room!!!!!

I would avoid this hotel at all costs due to the fact they lack very basic respect towards people using the hotel.

The owner has declined to contact me since my departure and has instead decided to verbally bully my 70 year old father on his departure of the hotel. It seems she has shied away from certain family members and aimed for the softer characters. And just for good measure the owner has also threatened him via email upon his return home.

Writing this has made me very very sad as I have wonderful childhood memories of this hotel

Come back Greenlawns all is forgiven

7  Thank David B
Reviewed 15 February 2018 via mobile

A glance of our stay;

There was no signs of “redrum” being painted on the wall although the hotel certainly gave the feel that there could have been with the blanketed whitewash throughout the hotel corridors and rooms.

We do enjoy a vintage hotel at times but are smart enough to differentiate between “vintage and chic” and “old and tatty” the rooms were perfectly furnished to old and tatty standard from the furniture to the phones. We do not enjoy dirty carpets on arrival, holes in furniture, a damp smell in our room and cheap toilet paper, certainly not when paying £125/night

The facilities we indulged in during our stay did not include the spa or gym but more the restaurant and bar the truly worse thing about these services was the ill mannered restaurant “manager” who needs prompt lessons in sales and negotiation as well as facilitation training, this “man” should not be in a public facing role but instead maybe kitchen porter or gardener, somewhere where he does not have to deal with the clientele of Merchants Manor.

The best thing about the stay was vacating the premises and also the lovely lady who was on breakfast duty and was profoundly charming and helpful.

We will not be returning to Merchants Manor but will certainly return to Falmouth for (fingers crossed) a more enjoyable stay in better surroundings

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Curly001
Reviewed 14 February 2018

Staying while visiting the local university with my daughter. We were allocated a large room with two double beds, they had starched white cotton bedding and were very comfortable. The bathroom was not large but had a good shower in the bath, there were plenty of large white fluffy towels and nice quality toiletries. We had a small outside terrace with chairs which unfortunately we couldn’t use due to awful weather.
We had a dinner, bed and breakfast package, the food was delicious. The staff all seem very cheerful and friendly. We will definitely stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Ring before to find out the best offer, the receptionist is very helpful.
1  Thank chantellel135
Reviewed 14 February 2018

The outside of the hotel looks like a building site.
The front view has now been ruined by a block of flats. And you find yourself looking out on a black tar roof
Difficult to park major rebuilding being done.noisy all day, gardens now a mess.
There are better hotels in Falmouth for less.
Small bar area now even smaller and poorly stocked.
A void rooms near swimming pool.
Bar,eating areas NOT dog friendly, you will need to eat out.
The advert shows a posh country hotel.
It now looks like a building site, with new flats blocking the sea views.

Room Tip: Do not book rooms near the noisy swimming pool,or the passage ways leading to it. Avoid having a function
7  Thank Terry B
Nick R, Owner at Merchants Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2018

FAKE NEWS ALERT.

It is such a shame that a group of people would choice to dishonour the memory of a loved one like this.
All as a direct result of their appalling behaviour and then try and cover up their behaviour with a stream of fake news like this.
Here are the facts;
It is worth noting that you have not stayed at Merchants Manor in recent years. The old pile you remember with such fond childhood memories is now just a memory, and new fabulous memories are be created in a very different and much improved hotel for grown ups.
We delivered everything we promised we would to you and more. As a group you had the full undivided attention of the team for almost two full days.
The small fluffy, friendly family dog we had been asked to look after for 5 hours turned out to be Pit Bull cross and was anything but. Despite this the team continued to look after your dog and you paid him handsomely for it.
It had always been agreed that you would have use of the restaurant and library until 5pm and then you would need to move the remaining family into the library and when by 6pm you still had not moved and we had to ask time and time again. This is when your mood as group turned hostile on a penny and you proceeded to verbally abuse lovely members of our team, use foul language and threaten to “put him through the f***in wall”. Does not add up with the picture of people sat quietly by the fire does it.
Despite this and with a rapidly filling restaurant the team continued to look after you, even as other guest complained about the noise level and language coming from your group. Even after some guest cancelled their dinner reservations as they feared being sat next to the group. If you had been unhappy with the lighting level in the library all you had to do was say and we would have happily turned the lights up for you.
All day long we had made it clear to your group that if you wanted to dine we needed a time and number from you. Then at 7.30 when you announced you wanted to eat and explained we would be able to seat you at 8:30pm or could do lounge food earlier.
You are trying to make out that the owner a 45 year lady weighing in at 8 stone, who was not even present during the evenings events, somehow intimidated the gentleman who booked the wake in the first place and was the client. Think about it? No one has declined to contact you, we are happy to speak whenever you are ready and indeed have already reached out to the organiser of the event and made this very clear to him.
You are also trying to paint a picture of a sombre affair when the reality is a group of allegedly well mannered grown ups who did not know what had been agreed and decided to take umbrage.
You may remember Green Lawns with fond memories and we are happy for you. But in time all things must change. The reality we discovered is that you wanted to be in the old ballroom that no longer exists, because it has been replaced with private dining rooms, yoga spaces and private luxury apartments, you wanted a lady who has long since retired to draw smiling faces on your eggs for you, and you wanted to destroy the atmosphere for other guests through rude, aggressive, loud behaviour.
On the day you had one of your own relatives look after you because she still works here and she will say just what a pleasant time was had by all.
All anyone really needed to do was say sorry “when the drink is in the wit is out” and if you had feedback all you had to do was sit down and talk with us and would have happily listened and we still can.
If not then we wish you well in your travels and ask that you think twice about your behaviour in other venues