“Beautifully cooked Sea Bass fillets”

Hunkydory Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 233 Restaurants in Falmouth
Price range: US$6 - US$31
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Set in a beautiful Grade II listed building and with bright designed interiors, hunkydory is a great location for a romantic or group meal. Lots a little alcoves and booths allow you to feel you have your own private space. There is also a private function area for exclusive use to seat up to 20 around one table, with it's own private lounge and facilities. Great for family occasions or business meals.
Reviewed 18 September 2017

The quality of the food is undeniable, but I found the portion sizes lower than I would expect – and the prices a little higher for that amount of food, and drink.

The exterior of the building fades in comparison to other restaurants and cafes which line the street; who make an effort to stand out with bright coloured painted facades. Inside its nice enough with some contemporary art based on boats on its walls. We were a party of 3 and got a lovely window table overlooking the world pass by on the street below.

We ordered drinks whilst we perused the menu. I had a local beer called Bal Maiden. It came in a bottle with an illustration of a large robot holding a young girl in its hand. It was a dark beer, quite nutty and ideal (according to the menu) to accompany a hearty British cuisine.

I fancied the bread platter which would be accompanied with artisan bread, flavoured butters and olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It stated it was a portion for 2. I agreed that I would share the excess with others inn my party. I’m not a big eater and I found the platter sufficient enough for one person, although there was more butter than there was bread supplied. As for the flavours of the butters it remains a mystery to me. They were different colours but there was no available waiting staff around before I finished to ask what they were. Suffice to say there was no excess of bread to offer my companions.

The sea bass fillets were beautifully cooked and I especially looked the crispy skin. I was surprised it came on a soup like dish. From the menu, it was described as being accompanied with samphire, diced potato, mussel and dill veloute. I always thought veloute was a sauce but this was a soup. Possibly it’s my misinterpretation but I expected something ‘solid’ accompanying the fish. Don’t get me wrong it was very tasty but I was slightly disappointed in my choice.

My fellow diners thoroughly enjoyed their meals. On the whole, it’s a lovely restaurant. I would not mind returning when I’m back in the area. However, it is quite on the pricey side, even from someone used to London restaurant prices.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

Walked in off the street and had a very nice meal, lots of excellent local seafood. Good selection of wine and brilliant waiting staff, a very good evening

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is superb. We ate there on 7th Sept, we hadn't booked but they found space for us. The restaurant is tastefully decorated and the food was as good as anything I've eaten. We both had 'the catch of the day' which was Hake. It was beautifully cooked, tasted very fresh and was cooked to perfection. For dessert we had the Lemon Possett which definitely played with the tastebuds, absolutely delicious. If ever we are that way again I would definitely recommend this place and the staff were all very friendly.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Very attractive little restaurant in the heart of Falmouth. Excellent food and service. Interesting artwork for sale also. Would recommend.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

2 of us had an evening meal. Staff are friendly, welcoming & well-informed about the menu - happy to change dishes & offer alternatives e.g. samphire in place of black pudding with the scallops. Scallops were perfectly cooked. For mains I had Thai green curry with haddock & king prawns & himself had a whole dressed crab with dressed leaves & buttered new potatoes - there is nowhere to hide with the latter & it was pronounced perfect. Plenty of choice of wines by the glass. Think this place is rated 7th in Falmouth - good value & good quality. We paid £85 for 3 courses & 2 large glasses of wine.