US$235
US$74
The Blue Room(Newquay)
US$340
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewslusty glaze beachliz colinfantastic hostsattending a weddinghome from homeon arrivalpot of teamain townsmall hotelnothing is too much troublefantastic locationbeautiful roomsea viewcooked breakfastrelaxing staytwo night stayfull english breakfast
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

Visited the Kallacliff for a two night stay with my partner.
From the moment we were picked up at the airport to the minute we were dropped off nothing was too much trouble.
The breakfast was lovely, you are able to pick exactly what you want the evening before. Meals are served in the conservatory so great views.
Rooms appear to vary but all very clean and tidy.
We were there for a wedding, so got flowers delivered to the hotel with no complaints, even helped me put some in my hair.
Would recommend as an ideal place to stay, especially if you are a guest at a Lusty Glaze wedding.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for a wedding as part of a group booking, not a single ounce of customer service sense. Arrived to car park full of dog mess with said dog loose in the car park with no supervision. Booked 2 rooms for 2 nights, 1 for me+partner and 1 for my sister.

My room was half made and oddly there was whisky in a 4 bed family room. Next morning during breakfast (less than 2 hours before we needed to be ready for the wedding) the manager shouted across the room at the back of my head "you know you need to move rooms this morning?" Well no, actually, this was never mentioned at arrival after I paid. To which she replied she would take it up with the groom who booked the rooms (completely forgetting that I was a paying guest and that maybe the groom would have more important things to think about on his wedding day). She couldn't give me a time that we could move rooms and my sister had already got everything out to get ready for the wedding. In the end after they couldn't offer a solution made the decision that my sister would move into our room and they would refund a nights stay. Come back after the wedding to find there was no bedding left for my sister. My sister also heard the manager refer to my sister as "the one with the weird hair" (she has hair dye in, hardly radical).

To top it off the food was lacklustre, no vegan/GF readily available and the staff in the kitchen were walking barefoot, not exactly hygienic. Suspect this hotel gets by on location alone. Glad I never have to stay there again, would not recommend.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
20  Thank JohnGrammaticus
Liz H, Manager at Kallacliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2017

Reply to Mr John Grammaticus
First of all I must admit we are all deeply shocked and dismayed by your review on Trip Advisor , although not completely surprised because you are without exception the most unpleasant, ungrateful , arrogant and aloof individual with an over inflated sense of self importance we and our staff have ever had the misfortune to deal with in the five years we have run our establishment.
I am just very grateful to Trip Advisor that we are allowed to reply to your comments and complaints with our side of the story.
First of all your room was originally booked by your parents who paid a 50% deposit , following , what I assuming was an enjoyable stay with us previously ( why else would they have recommended The Kallacliff to you otherwise ) on what is the single most busiest weekend of the year( Boardmasters ) and we explained at the time of booking that we could only accommodate you on the understanding that we would need you to move rooms, which to be honest we are not keen to to do ,because it naturally creates more work for ourselves but we agreed because we always do our best to help people and we simply wanted to help you out. This was clearly stated at the time of booking and we were informed by your parent that this would NOT be a problem. It was natural to assume that this prior arrangement had been related to you and which is why we failed to mention it on your arrival. We even agreed to refund your payment for the other room despite the fact that we would lose revenue by the other room being empty. We were perfectly entitled on the basis of the agreement at the booking stage to ask for you to pay for the room in full but we did not.
Your point regarding the small token welcome drink , which is Sherry incidentally not whisky, that we provide for our guests as a gesture of hospitality in each room really does puzzle me ?! The Family Room by definition means that families will be in there and parents of the family generally as a rule monitor their childrens behaviour and I am sure would prevent them drinking anything in the room that they should not. If we provided small token decanters of Sherry into unmonitored Childrens Rooms then you would have a point!
As far as the dog mess in the car park and unsupervised dogs. We are dog and animal lovers and have two extremely friendly and well trained Boxers that know the boundary of our property and never venture beyond it and who we feel are a part of our establishment and in general the majority of our guests appreciate and love. The downside is despite regular walks day and night they can occasionally make a mess but is dealt with the moment it is seen. The alternative would be to follow them round all day or give them doggy nappies both options impractical I am afraid ! I presume as Vegans you love animals and would not appreciate the other alternative of locking them in the back yard all day and depriving them and our appreciative guests of the interaction of two beautiful dogs.
Your comment about “staff” walking around bare footed is incorrect. Lizzie ( The Owner ) is our only bare footed person here and due to a foot complaint which makes the wearing of footwear painful , she does indeed work in the kitchen and around the hotel in bare feet occasionally . But bearing in mind her days of leaping majestically , effortlessly and Ballet like on to the food preparation surfaces in her bare feet are sadly well behind her and I can assure you we make a point of never preparing food on the floor so I am not sure your hygiene point has relevance, but to be honest we will take advice on that.
Something you failed to mention was that we provided you with a pre wedding buffet ( which again is outside and beyond what we normally offer , simply for your convenience ) at a very reasonable £10 per head . Carefully following your instructions to cater for Gluten Free, Egg Intolerant and Vegan tastes. So despite our best efforts to go out and source those products and provide all these items at no extra cost and carefully label them on your buffet , you did not even have the decency to thank us or any single member of our staff for theirs and our efforts . You even had the audacity to ask for the Champagne ( NOT Prosecco ! )Bucks Fizz for 30 to be included into the already reasonable £10 per head fee!! To show your ingratitude for our efforts by calling what was provided “lacklustre” is I feel a description of your diet rather than an indictment of our culinary skills which generally attracts positive comments. But the old adage applies here ….you do indeed get what you pay for! And what we provided with the additional gluten free products , Soy Milk etc was excellent value for the money and something we would look at more carefully next time we are asked , in order to attain more acceptable margins.
As far as the comment about “weird hair” Neither I , Lizzie or any member of staff recall that being said and even it were , I personally do not find the word “weird “ offensive or negative in any way whatsoever as I believe we all have a little weird in us anyway.
You clearly have not read the previous 300 or so positive comments made on Trip Advisor about the Kallacliff , the majority of whom praise us for our friendliness, good food, warmth and hospitality but I am sure anyone that reads your comments and my response will make a judgement of their own as to the type of place this is and the type of person you are.
I am confident that most of the people reading our previous reviews and balancing them up against yours will not entertain your comment seriously that we rely on location……..simply ridiculous!
Finally please accept our grateful thanks for promising never to return …we are currently celebrating that fact with a glass of Bucks Fizz!!

Reviewed 14 August 2017

We were picked up at the airport by Colin and from then on the service was friendly, helpful and laid-back. Lizzy very kindly dried my clothes after I was caught in a downpour while rambling along the cliffs.
Our room was as clean as a new pin with all facilities, and the bed was very comfortable.
Meals are served in the conservatory which overlooks the sea. Breakfast is substantial; we didn't have a chance to try lunch of dinner during our stay but they do a good cream tea and a tempting selection of cakes.
It's a short walk down cliff steps to Lusty Glaze beach, while the centre of Newquay is about 15-20 minutes walk.
Only minor niggle was that the guest Wifi works well in the room but not in the restaurant.
All in all a lovely place run by friendly people, in a fantastic location.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Fantastically located above Lusty Glaze Beach - where we were attending a wedding on the Saturday so even more convenient for us! - this b&b style hotel was an absolute find for us. Seemingly nothing was too much trouble, including finding us a baby monitor so we could come down for a drink while the toddler napped.

A really good choice of cooked breakfasts with the usual cereals, fruit etc also on offer as well as lunches and a bar. What more could you need! The room was a little cramped but we had opted for a family room (double bed plus 2 singles) AND requested a cot be put in there so understandable & expected. In any case we were barely in the room so it didn't matter.

Colin advised of a really nice walk round to Watergate Bay and gave us a cab number to get back in time for the aforementioned wedding. We would definitely try and stay here again when next in this neck of the woods.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

Yet again another superb visit to the kallacliff with liz and colin. Our favourite place year in year out. Fabulous hotel would not stay anywhere else in newquay always feels like home. See you next year guys xx

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family