“Lovely Hotel shame about the Restaurant” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Penzance

Hotel Penzance
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Penzance
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel shame about the Restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Spent a couple of nights at this hotel and was pretty much all of the other reviews have said what a lovely 'old school' hotel where the customer does matter and service is what counts.
My only complaint about the place was the restaurant........................
This is a Michelin wannabe however it falls a long way short of the mark, they charge around £25 for 2 courses which is obviously not aiming for the budget market, however my food wasn't cooked properly and was quite frankly rather bland and the seafood wasn't very fresh, I had the feeling the cook had been pre cooked and zapped in the microwave to order.
While this restaurant as had glowing local reviews in the past standards have slipped to the point that maybe a surprise and more current review is required to reflect current standards, I don't mind spending £40+ per head but expect value for money when I do.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank UK_EP
Kehribar, Owner at Hotel Penzance, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Thank you for your thoughts and concerns about our hotel and restaurant, we do care that all our guests leave us completely happy with our service.
As I cannot identify from your review just when you stayed, or what you ate in the restaurant, I can, categorically assure you that our fish is delivered in fresh daily from St Ives, and we cook a la carte, never pre cooking nor using a microwave.
Our evening a la carte 2 course menu presently is priced at £24.50 up to £49 for our tasting menu. However our Menu du Jour, available from noon 'til 6.30 is only £11.95 for 2 courses or £15.95 for three. A price range suitable for most tastes and budgets.
We do have assessments made 'secret shopper' style several times a year, and have up to date reviews on many sites, including the AA, Which Good Food Guide and Michelin. I'm sorry that you don't share the general view that we are a place to enjoy a celebration, where service is given with a smile, and food is freshly prepared to order by skilled chefs. We are not at the cutting edge in a city, but we do try hard to provide a level of service and style that our customers appreciate, and we listen carefully to any constructive criticism.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Polish first
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Lovely boutique style hotel, very accommodating for families and a beautiful view of St Michael's Mount. We stayed here for one night in a large room at the top of the hotel- big enough for 6 month old in travel cot and 3 year old on small sofa with a great big bed for Mum & Dad. The Bay Restaurant is part of the hotel and serves delicious, mostly local cuisine. It is pricey but worth it for a treat. Breakfast was in the Bay Restaurant and was very good indeed. The staff were extremely helpful and accommodating for our young family. Will definitely go back again.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank UKTravellerLiz79
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

What a great experience! Is is simply one of the best small hotels I've stayed in. Great staff, good room with some nice touches such as a cafetiere in your room. The room was comfortable and clean. The only two minor points that were note worthy are that sound insulation between room could be better and, I had a sea view room which overlooked the restaurant veranda so in summer it could be noisy later on.
Overall a first class experience. I avoided the hotel restaurant as although it has some superb reviews, the menu was on the precocious side.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank CheshireLady
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

My partner and I had a fabulous time at this much loved and cared for hotel. We stayed for two days in October and I could not fault it. The room, restaurant evening meal and breakfast were all out of this world. I particularly loved the free afternoon tea laid on in the drawing room for guests to help themselves. We had a sea view and free wifi. We had a lovely time checking out the area which is rich in hidden little gems such as beautiful coves, the Minack Theatre etc. I am definitely going back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ms F
Watchet
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

I researched hotels for our recent New Years break very thoroughly, and finally chose this hotel. I was a little concerned by some previous reviews, but I can assure you these concerns were totally unfounded. It makes me wonder which planet some people are on! We arrived on 30th and immediately had a superb welcome from reception. Our room (we had conciously gone for a top of the range room) was number 10. It didnt disappoint. The sea view was superb, we could see from St Michaels Mount right around to Newlyn and Mousehole. The bathroom was as expected, although at some times of day the hot water took a long time to come through in the shower! Fittings were exactly as they should be and cleanliness was exceptional. The complimentary WiFi worked as needed. Furniture in the room was exactly what was needed; stylish and fully functional. Room service, which we used once was extremely prompt.
The hotel was very solid and quiet. The reception rooms by the main entrance were very comfortable and complimentary tea/cake in the afternoon was perfect after a day out. We had breakfast every morning which was fine, with plenty of fruit, bread, croissants and juices. The cooked element of breakfast, although not gut busting was cooked to perfection! In terms of dinner, we only ate on the New Years Eve feast which was exceptional as was the superb magician who was the cabaret. My partner Jane, is a total magic sceptic and she is still talking about him now!
I dont think I've been to many hotels where the staff have been as friendly and accomodating as they were here. This is a top hotel, with great service and some lovely unexpected touches. The decor that we experienced was top quality, the bed was very comfy, the wind (and it was blowing during our stay) didnt howl around the windows and the car park, which is on a hill, was really not a problem. I cant recommend this hotel highly enough, thankyou everyone for making our stay perfect!

Room Tip: Room 10 is a top room with fantastic views plenty of room and comfy bed.