“Great location, decor & food, though best to book a table in high season.”

St Mawes Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 18 Restaurants in St Mawes
Price range: US$18 - US$46
Description: The bar restaurant at the St Mawes Hotel is a convivial escape to enjoy authentic quality dishes that will showcase the best locally sourced Cornish ingredients. Menu options include both smaller and larger dishes based on the wonderful produce from the sea, alongside stone baked pizzas and daily specials. Alfresco tables provide an idyllic location to make the most of sunny days.
Reviewed 7 September 2017

Ben fitted us on a small table by the door, as we dropped in on an early August evening. The place was understandably buzzing, in a good way, with folk spilling out onto the Harbour side, with their pints of Tribute & Doombar. The scallop starter was zingy, and the fish main-course was excellent, when it came. My wife's fish-cakes were moorish and tasty. The hotel has rooms over looking the estuary , so we will return out-of-season.

SMHBen, Manager at St Mawes Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

It was great to meet you and I am so glad you enjoyed your experience with us. I will pass on your kind words to the rest of the team and we very much look forward to welcoming you again soon. All the best, Ben

Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

After being caught in a mid Autumn hail storm we dropped into this bar/restaurant for shelter, and as it turned out, some great food. I recommend the moules mariniere with chips, excellent. Has obviously been recently refurbished in contemporary sea side style. Very stylish.

SMHBen, Manager at St Mawes Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2017

Thank you for your kind comments on your meal with us and be assured that I will pass on your kind words to our chefs. Many thanks, Ben

Reviewed 30 July 2017

We were staying in the Idle Rocks & ate here for a change on the second night. Apparently this is its sister hotel.

The meal we had was ok & we ordered a bottle of red which arrived 35 minutes before our meal! It was just plonked on the table & the waiter didn't even offer to take the top off & pour. Just left it there & went on to take an order from another table.

So my main gripe is, as there were very few dining that evening to wait 35 minutes for any of your order to arrive is very poor.

The overal difference in quality of service in this & it's sister hotel "The idle Rocks" is huge, but I guess what you pay for & take your choice

1  Thank adetanner

We really appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback following your evening with us at The St Mawes Hotel. I am obviously concerned to hear about your experiences with the restaurant service and further to this, I would very much appreciate being able to discuss this in person with you. Can you please email me at ben@stmawes.com with a suitable time and contact telephone number?

I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards, Ben

Reviewed 20 July 2017

We had been here a few times for coffees ,lunch and dinner and despite willing it to be a nice experience always feel a bit let down. As mentioned in previous reviews the staff are not very helpful and when I have gone into book a table for the evening have been downright dismissive. The food is good but is rather hit and miss as to whether what is said to be on the menu will actually be available. The staff seem to find the customers an inconvenience which inevitably has an impact on the ambience of the place. We have been coming to St Mawes for family holidays for nearly 20years and and it is a shame that this restaurant feels like such a missed opportunity.

1  Thank bridgemack

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback about The St Mawes Hotel. I am obviously very concerned to hear about your experiences with our front of house staff, and take this review very seriously. I really appreciate it and these are areas that I am working hard now to improve with the team.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards, Ben

Reviewed 19 July 2017

On a hot sunny day, my wife & I visited St Mawes & stopped in at the St Mawes Hotel for a quick lunch . We were lucky enough to get one of the 3 tables upstairs on the small balcony & it proved idyllic.

A nice view over the harbour, glass of cold white wine & good food, we ended up staying longer than planned but it was ideal. My wife's Fish & Chips were cooked perfectly, the batter was thin & dry, the fish light & flaky. My Pizza, was also good but it was 'big' & was really ideal to share, not for one.

The décor in the hotel is boutique style with great sofas & armchairs upstairs and mostly tables & chairs downstairs. Also the staff were smart & friendly.

Lunch here made a nice day visit to St Mawes even better, we'll go back again.

Thank you for your review and for letting us know about your experience with us. I have passed on your words to the rest of the team, who would be delighted to welcome you back again one day soon. Kind regards, Ben