“I won't go there again”
Review of Gipsy Hill Hotel

Gipsy Hill Hotel
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 5 February 2018

I'll avoid this hotel when in Exeter next time. The front rooms have no insulation at all, so basically you feel extremely cold at night. I spent Wednesday ( 31st January) night, precisely the night with Super Moon and the rooms are cold and the heating is on on full power, just for a few hours
NEVER AGAIN on this hotel...that's a promise ! Fortunately I didn't took dinner there...instead I went for a nearby Premier Inn's restaurant and the atmosphere it's very different.
I booked this hotel because was cheaper than a Premier Inn and the reviews mislead ed me and I thought "well...it will be only one night" ....big error. I couldn't sleep because the room was so cold, that I used the additional cover and even that, you feel the cold. I felt embarrassed to go to sleep to the car...but I was seriously thinking about it !
The entrance it's annoying...a narrow road which fits only a car. Bad experience in general. I won't recommend this hotel. If you want to be comfortable, go to elsewhere, but ensure you book in advance. Sorry guys, bad experience !

Room Tip: Don't go there !
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business

Reviewed 22 January 2018

This event, covered by both BBC Spotlight and ITV SW, was a major event for this hotel. The Hotel staff could not have risen to the challenge more effectively or with more enthusiasm. They handled the considerable number of cars needing to be parked at the hotel with great skill, and they provided all the amenities from the audio/video equipment, to the coffee and other refreshments at the break in a way that made it very easy for us.

The Management went out of the way to welcome all of us and were able very quickly to provide excellent sites for TV Interviews of key players. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them.

I spent the preceding night in a double room which was well presented and spotlessly clean.

In short, I would make use of this hotel for such an event again. Their easy welcome for the Media, their provision of reserved parking for the MP and other key players involved, and the way they answered any last minute requests made it a real pleasure to be there.

Room Tip: The hotel is surrounded by gardens with a pleasant outlook.The "coachhouse" block in parti...
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2018

Stumbled across this first time and actively booked for second time. Staff are very welcoming and friendly. Food is excellent. Rooms are large clean and have a faded charm that is lovely. Plenty of parking. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2018

We chose Gipsy Hill Hotel for its location (close to the airport) and to attend a family wedding at Rockbeare Manor.It is not really within walking distance to any other amenities so our hire car and the local taxi firm (Apple) were essential.If you like chain hotels then Gipsy Hill is not for you, however if like us you prefere to stay somewhere with charm and character then you will really enjoy your visit.Our room was large and immaculately clean with a comfortable bed and good shower.It was over looking the lawns where we could watch the rabbits! The staff were so friendly and helpful and after 3 nights staying here we were reluctant to leave.We ate in the restaurant on one evening and the food was delicious.Will definitely return if in the area again.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2018

This is the forth year in a row that we have attended this function. Until this years event we had no criticisms of any kind. In fact for the cost of the overnight stay, the dinner and breakfast the following morning was excellent in all respects. However this years event was spoiled by very poor catering. I think the ingredients were fine but the chef was not. Examples being roast potatoes in a fish broth which was supposed to be a sauce and the pastry on the beef wellington which had the consistency of wet wall paper. The sweets were left mostly unfinished. The manager on duty said she would try to make amends and some refunds were forth coming. However this did not go any where making up for a very disappointing evening. I don't think my sisters or myself will attend this function again.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family