All reviewsspiral staircasecentral locationcooked freshexeter cityroom was spaciouscathedraltelephone
Reviewed 13 May 2017

Booked overnight despite mixed reviews on TripAdvisor. We have no complaints! Twin bedded room was very nice and immaculately clean. Excellent breakfast in the morning with plenty of choice. Very pleasant and helpful management. Only mild criticism is that the wall mounted television might have been bigger.

Stayed: May 2017
Reviewed 7 May 2017

This is a copy of the letter which I sent. Looking on the web however, now I realise why they didn't get back to me or care about any of the issues during our stay; they have put in a planning application to change the hotel into serviced apartments.

We were visiting Exeter with friends due to singing choral services in the cathedral on Sunday. We found your hotel online and read Trip Advisor reviews to get the general feeling. I am a great fan of Trip Advisor and can always see through the reviews when people moan about small problems; the seagulls for instance in reviews relating to your hotel. I phoned to book and spoke to someone really friendly and I had a good feeling about the place. I was also booking for two friends who were bringing their elderly Mother. This was a birthday treat and also some respite for her as her husband suffered a stroke and has Alzheimer’s and in this case was a very rare time for her to relax.
We arrived separately and had the same cold welcome by a female member of staff. We didn’t see her again for the rest of our stay. My husband and I checked into our room and found it to be mainly suitable, although very small. We were worried one of the sash windows was going to break when we opened it and in the small sitting room there was a spillage down one of the walls which could quite easily have been washed off by the cleaning staff. The bath panel was rotten at the bottom.
We then went to visit our friends’ rooms which I had booked on their behalf and at a cheaper rate. These rooms both had larger beds and had a much larger square footage so we were disappointed that we had paid so much more for ours (room 4).
After our evening meal we came back to sit in the lounge looking at a fully stocked bar, expecting your receptionist to come to us and offer us refreshments. Instead we had to ask for them. My friends were given tea in a teapot and a cup and saucer each. No milk, so again we had to make hints about this. Surely you are missing an opportunity here, selling drinks to hotel guests makes more money for the hotel.
On the day of check out my friend and I were in a rush to have our breakfast because we were due at the cathedral at 9am. This would have been fine in normal circumstances as we arrived in the dining room dead on 8am and there were only 4 other guests there, as well as our party. It took quite a while for us to be served and the coffee pot wasn’t filled to the top and so there wasn’t enough coffee for those who wanted it. Our cooked breakfast arrived after a long while (30 minutes approximately) and had to be eaten really quickly to enable us to get to the cathedral on time. One of us asked for porridge only to be told after 30 minutes that it wasn’t available and then it turned up 10 minutes after that, again having to be rushed. We were offered no toast and the juice on the side table ran out too. I noticed on the bottom of the menu that you take great pride in your breakfasts and that you want it to be a lasting impression; it certainly was for all of us and what should have been a happy morning for us, being excited about our day ahead, we left feeling upset and let down.
Worse was to come. Our friend paid his bill for the night and asked for a room extension to midday, which he was given free of charge. We asked for one too and were also granted it. The receptionist then said that he had made a mistake and we would all have to pay £30 per room. My husband said that following our breakfast disaster could you not have made it up to us by still honouring this and was told no! When my friend and I had finished singing the morning service we came back to the hotel at 11.30 expecting to be able to freshen up and pack our belongings only to find that we had been kicked out at 11.00. I tried to speak to someone at reception but could find no one in the hotel at all.
We all feel really upset about what happened to us this weekend and wonder if you could offer any explanation.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank HPR14
Reviewed 29 April 2017

St Olaves is a small, peaceful hotel in Exeter. Convenient for the corn exchange, main shopping areas and the cathedral. Lovely staff, comfortable relaxing room (even though we had the cheapest room in the hotel), super breakfast, safe off road parking and free WiFi. We will certainly use this hotel again when we visit Exeter.

Room Tip: WiFi is weak in the top floor rooms. The small double (room 10) is actually quite a reasonable size.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank petewillo
Reviewed 29 April 2017

We chose this hotel for its location, and for our purpose it was ideal. The room was spacious but chilly . The bathroom clean and roomy but with a deadly little step down . We had to keep reminding each other. The most disappointing thing was the lack of dining. Exeter city centre on a Friday night is not a place to be? By 7 pm there were police vans all around picking up homeless or drunks I'm not sure. The eating places were full to bursting at the bars, not much eating. It would have been nice to eat in but the Treasury restaurant isn't open . The sister tapas bar next door was full by 7. We get the feeling it's lost its way, but fine if you need a room with parking close to cathedral.

Room Tip: No lift and tight spiral staircase! Noise travels down staircase.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2017

St. Olaves has a long history, which has resulted in a quirky building that must be a challenge to maintain. It oozes Georgian character and a magnificent central spiral staircase. The car park is small but our room was big! We had a separate seating area and bedroom and a large bathroom. Best of all is the breakfast - a good choice of cooked options including excellent smoked haddock
One point to note is that if you come back after 11 pm the street door is bolted shut. You need a key card to get into the hotel. Take my advice and make sure the card works before leaving for the evening!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple