“Fantastic food and atmosphere”
Review of Puffing Billy

Puffing Billy
Ranked #19 of 571 Restaurants in Exeter
Price range: US$12 - US$33
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

We went in July 2018 from a recommendation. We were not disappointed. Staff were helpful and friendly. Food was hot, tasty and came out quickly. I would recommend to anyone.

1  Thank charliemiddleton

Reviewed 11 July 2018

We use this busy pub restaurant at least monthly if not more and it's busy because its good. Beer, food, service, atmosphere, garden, location all excellent. Exton even has its own train station, where you have to ask the ticket collector/guard to ask the driver to stop at Exton, as its a request stop for trains between Exeter or Exmouth, all part of the fun, so leave the car at home and head for the Puffing Billy, we've.

1  Thank jackgaby78
Reviewed 8 July 2018

I stopped off at the Puffing Billy for a quick lunch and the first thing I noticed was that it was very crowded and busy and the muck was also way too loud where I was sitting. For my main, I ordered a Thai vegetable curry with naan bread. My first point was that the curry was just a large pile of vegatables with a small amount of sauce at the bottom of thr bowl, so it was not very well mixed in. Another point to make was that the rice was seperate from the actual curry and was not infused in the sauce, which was quite nice but could of had a bit more spice to it. After this disappointing meal, I was not inclined to order dessert after that. The staff were quite nice, if a little unorganised. Overall, I was very disappointed with my meal and would not return there.

Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

My first time to Puffing Billy and I was impressed by the quality of service. This pub has a class on its own with bright, clean and airy decor.

The food was very good indeed. We had a kids portion of sausages with peas and mashed and it was big enough to be shared by our 6 and 3 year old. The ham, egg and chips were good. The seafood platter to share was of good quality, too.

The pub manager is such a good spot as well when someone mentioned 3 prawns to be shared by 2 pax was a funny combo for the seafood platter when he didn’t realise that the platter wasn’t meant specifically for 2 pax. Anyhow, they brought out a few more prawns for us. If it had been in another pub with rude services, we might have been treated the complete opposite.

The feta cheese watermelon salad was divine especially given the heat of late. That feta cheese is of great quality and quantity as well.

Very impressed by Puffing Billy all in all. Will definitely return.

1  Thank KBologna
Reviewed 30 June 2018

In summary - delicious food at reasonable prices, excellent service, lovely atmosphere, and would therefore highly recommend.

Our group of 10 had a lovely meal which I'd booked for my Mum's birthday as a surprise. The team there gave us a very warm welcome and had been briefed on our special requirements i.e. bringing out a birthday cake and the fact that Mum still needed to order (everyone else had pre-ordered). All dishes came out together in a timely manner, well presented, generous portions and were delicious. The staff also checked to make sure everything was good part way through the meal. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals and would like to thank the staff for their excellent hospitality from start to finish. We have been to The Puffing Billy a few times in recent years and have always had a good experience.

1  Thank jpmanf