Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill Plymouth
Ranked #175 of 802 Restaurants in Plymouth
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

Really wanted to like this restaurant but it was just terrible in terms of food.

The staff were really friendly although not very attenrative. The didn't seem to know what they were doing and didn't come up and ask anyone if they wanted drinks etc. Which meant we kept having to go up to the bar to get drinks which was a minor inconvenience. I will say the Cocktails were great.

The view is gorgeous but the prices for the food were not justified.
We ordered sirloin steaks and I haveto say they were the toughest and blandest steaks I have ever tasted and for £30 a steak it was massively dissapointing. Not only that but they were over cooked. My husband eats his rare and it came out medium and I ordered mine medium rare and it came out almost well done. I would of thought a steakhouse would get the basics right atleast.

We have a MPW restaurant opened up where we live and it's put me off going there. The starter was OK/not bad...dessert of toffee pudding tasted like it has been microwaved. The sponge was dry as a bone so the tiny pot of sauce that came with it that we hadto share wasn't anywhere near enough.

I think this restaurant could be good if maybe staff were retrained and maybe a change of suppliers for the steaks as we have had a couple of friends say the same thing is us.

Ben S, General Manager at Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill Plymouth, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your visit with us. I'd be happy to hear from you directly if you'd like to fill me in on the specifics as our staff are normally raved about, so this seems a little out of character.

As for the steaks being tough; I'd like to know more about what you had ordered and whether you fed back to anyone that they were overcooked?

Our sticky toffee pudding is made by us here in our kitchen, and are served warm with an individual jug of butterscotch sauce each, most people love them. Such a shame to hear you did not.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

We went one lunchtime and was impressed with the view, staff and food. Good value.
We enjoyed it so much that when our son was over from Cyprus we took him there for dinner The front oh house gentleman remembered us even though we had only been once before.

Hi there,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. It's really great to hear when we get things right. I'm glad you felt spoiled and brought your son along, too.

Hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Had lunch using a Groupon voucher. Although a 'special' limited menu, there were several possibilities for us. Service was fast and the waitress friendly and professional. Food was really good, especially considering the Groupon price. There are wonderful views from the 11th floor restaurant

Ben S, General Manager at Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill Plymouth, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. It's always great to hear when we get it right. Yes, the Groupon deal is an exceptional price for some of our a la carte dishes. And the weather has made the views even more spectacular recently.

Reviewed 22 June 2018

My husband and I went to Marco Pierre White on the 16th June for our wedding anniversary. Plymouth isn't local to us and we were staying away without our children for the evening in Saltash. When we arrived we parked underneath the Hotel as directed by one of the waiters we met in the middle of Plymouth Food Festival a few weeks earlier, tight parking spaces but great because it meant we didn't struggle to park. We took the lift to the Penthouse (after initially walking up the stairs and finding ourselves in the Hotel and having to be directed to the lift) and were greeted on arrival by one of the waitresses. Our initial view was "wow", it has absolutely amazing views of the whole of Plymouth and it is fantastic.

We were asked if we wanted to go straight to our table or wanted a cocktail, we chose to have a cocktail (or at least I did because hubby was driving). We were served quickly and the cocktail was great, hubby had a cider but there wasn't much choice available, just different bottles of cornish cider. We then asked to be seated to our table shortly after and were taken around the corner to lots of tables really close together, not like our initial view of the place where the tables were nice and spread out. We were seated next to two tables of two either side of us.

I ordered a prawn cocktail and hubby ordered the ribs for starters. My prawn cocktail came out, it didn't look anything particularly special, the bread didn't look homemade, it looked like an ordinary loaf of Hovis bread from Tescos! The butter was great, but the bread could have been something much nicer than it was. It was an average prawn cocktail but with a more expensive price attached to it. Hubby's ribs were amazing, so tasty, cooked perfectly and the sauce was great.

For main I ordered the duck, which was amazing, it was cooked perfectly, tasted delicious. I couldn't fault it at all. Hubby ordered a steak, it was okay, nothing special, said he had tried much better steaks for about £8 cheaper. The brandy and peppercorn sauce he ordered was great he said, I had a try and it was really good. He also ordered a side of onion rings, these were not great, he left over half of them, far too greasy and just not very nice! It then made us realise why the gentleman beside us had barely touched his onion rings.

We decided we would give dessert a try, hubby had eyed up a dessert some children behind us were eating, which looked like brownies. He couldn't see them on the dessert menu so we asked the waiter who said that it was on a kids menu, we asked if hubby could have that as he didn't like the sound of anything else and the waiter said that wouldn't be a problem. I had eyed up a couple of desserts I had seen arriving to the tables beside us so asked the waiter for his opinion on which of the two to order, my choices were chocolate mousse or sticky toffee pudding. He said it definitely had to be the sticky toffee pudding, so I went with that. When the desserts came out they looked good, hubby's brownies were great; my sticky toffee was a bit dry. It had sauce which the waitress poured over my dessert for me but it didn't make any difference, it was far too dry. Yes it was a big portion but I expected it to be delicious and it wasn't.

Overall, not really worth the money we paid. We did keep the surcharge on our bill because the service from the waitresses and the waiters was absolutely fantastic. However, it was simply the food that let it down. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone in a hurry because we left disappointed. It was meant to be a special evening for us, it was a great view and good service but just not great food.

Hi there,

I'm sorry you left disappointed, even though you say service and almost everything you experienced was nearly perfect.

Did you make anyone aware that you didn't like your onion rings? I'm sorry the sticky toffee pudding was dry, people normally rave about it. But, again, did you make anyone aware of it at the time? As we would have happily changed it for something else for you.

Hopefully you will give us a try another day

Reviewed 19 June 2018

This is our second Groupon deal.. Both times we could not fault a thing... Our food was excellent and certainly could not fault our waitress thea... Ben the manager also took time out to talk with us which we felt was a lovely touch. All together a lovely time.

Ben S, General Manager at Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill Plymouth, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2018

Hi there,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write. It was lovely meeting you and glad you enjoyed your second visit with us.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Regards