US$83
US$80
US$154
US$127
Alma Lodge Guest House(Plymouth)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Ashgrove House(Plymouth)
TripAdvisor
All reviewstavistock roaddouble glazingfour poster bedplenty of parkingseen better daysother guestslong journeywould stay againbed was very comfortabletea and coffeewarm welcomea lovely stay
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Got here before check in time and I was allowed to check in to my room after an early start. A very warm welcome, staff were very helpful. My room was excellent with A great view and the bed was very comfortable.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

Spent a night here as I had a meeting up the road. Greeted by a lovely woman, shown around and to my room. Given wifi password and could pick breakfast in advance so it would be ready when I came down in the morning. Breakfast was great, lots of options. Was allowed to leave my car parked at the hotel while I went to the meeting and before I left she reminded me I had left my phone charger in the room. Would stay again!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2018

When we pulled into the car park in front of the hotel, we both looked at each other with the same thought, which was "oh dear", The hotel looks very run down, bleak and unkempt.
It was very drab and uninviting, this theme continued as we entered the building.
At reception, we were greeted by a friendly host, who escorted to our room, gave us WIFI passcode and explained the shower.
The room was a bit musty smelling and carpet was thread bear, and definitely seen better days, the bathroom although small, did have good sized shower(see below for shower story).
The good side, was windows were double glazed as the main road outside the front is quite noisy.
The heating was on, but we had no control of the temperature or timing, so during the night, room remained hot and we couldn't have windows open, due to traffic noise.
The mattress was lumpy, and pillows rock hard.
In the first morning, we tried to have a shower, but whatever we did, only a dribble came through, as no water pressure.
I got dressed, and went to find someone, to see if it could be remedied.
I searched reception, restaurant, bar and kitchen, and could find no one at 7.00am.
Had to give shower a miss, and headed down for breakfast which was very good food and service.
When we explained about the faulty shower , we were told that it had been electrically test recently, but there was no offer to check or fix for us, by this time we had decided not to stay for a second night which we had paid for, and advise the lady behind reception that we wouldn't be staying another night, to which there was no response, so we headed to our room, packed up and handed in the key, no response again.
All in all,a very disappointing stay!!!!!

Room Tip: Not on the front of hotel, as main road noisy
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Darren R
Reviewed 14 February 2018

We stayed here during our four night break in Plymouth. Our rooms were pleasant and the beds comfortable. Breakfasts are prepared freshly for you at a time that you specify during the previous evening. The food was good. The staff were excellent. One of our party had a medical emergency. The staff could not have been more helpfull in resolving the problem. We intend to return to Plymouth in the summer for another break, and this is the hotel where we will stay.

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed 7 December 2017

A smile to greet guests, personal greeting and an easy introduction to the hotel. This little hotel has 9 rooms, two of which can be turned into one large family room. There is plenty of parking at the front, just off the main Tavistock Road. Our bedroom was quaint, with a king sized, four poster bed, immaculate bedding, tv, plenty of bedside lights and of course, the makings for hot drinks after a long journey. The shower unit/bathroom was very clean and tidy. The bedroom had double glazing and we could see out into the back garden/patio area.
Breakfast was served in a wood panelled dining area which can seat 14 people. Plenty of cereals, including porridge if required. The main cooked breakfast was delicious and there was a choice for how we would like our eggs cooked. Warm friendly atmosphere and the other guests were just as pleased as us. There are two small lounges, a bar and also a small conference room which was not in use during our stay. The staff were very happy, obviously they enjoy their work.
If there is anything a bit wrong (being a bit picky here) it's that the room's kettle was in a poor spot, the lead leaving little room to work with, and there really is a need for a 'higher sign at the front, not obstructed by traffic. We drove right past the very large sign because both entrances were a bit hidden.
We enjoyed our stay at the Millstones very much and will be more than happy to stay there in the future. Many thanks to the staff for a great overnighter.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple