“boy oh boy would i go again " hell yes "”

Infinity Foods Kitchen
Ranked #23 of 78 Coffee & Tea in Brighton
Price range: US$3 - US$13
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Established in 1998 Infinity Foods Kitchen is the cafe branch of the Infinity Foods Co-operative Ltd. Ethically run and providing tasty organic, vegan, gluten free, wholefoods in the North Laines of Brighton.
Reviewed 6 January 2018

popped in the other day to try out the fig maca biscuit , id heard it was fantastic and boy was they right , staff was very helpful as i'm not normally a vegetarian food fan but i'd heard so much about it that when i had the chance i took it , the cafe was clean and nicely laid out , food was plentiful so decided to have a all day breakfast that filled me up so much that i didn't want dinner that day , the staff were funny it's good to hear people laughing and chatting whilst eating it gave me a uplifting feel for hours , great work guys i'll be back very soon for some more of that awesome fig ! thankyou

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Went in September. As we are vegetarian we always like to support vegetarian establishments. We both ordered the 'Curry and rice'& a side order of coleslaw each. The server dished out very merge portions of food. Even the portion of rice was precisely measured to just a small cup full so that was our first bad impression. Went upstairs to a rather dull room with no atmosphere but it was a pleasant enough view to the street from the large window.
The chickpea & tomato curry was the worst I'd ever experienced. It was as if a tin of chickpeas and a tin of peeled tomatoes had just been thrown in a bowl and mixed up together & then served out as a curry. No curry flavour at all, no spices & no onion. No taste at all apart from the tinned tomato. It was pretty disgusting to be treated with such contempt. But to be fair perhaps some of the other dishes on offer would have fared better. Who knows.
The prices are not cheap. The curry & rice was very bad value for money even though I'm happy to pay more for 'organic' wholesome food.
Counter service was friendly & efficient enough.

The owner/manager would do better to listen to to the complaints of customer reviews and buck up on the food they dish out to unsuspecting customers, instead of replying to honest reviews with a sense of bitterness & self delusion.

1  Thank mathew h
Reviewed 6 November 2017

I have been regularly visting the wonderful Infinity shop and it's partner cafe for many years. I am a vegetarian. On that time, whilst the shop business has grown, the cafe has suffered a slow and seemingly irreversable decline. The cafe has not kept up with the times, there is healthy vege food available all over Brighton, and there is no longer any reason to visit this place. The ambience is of a quick lunch stop for the impoverished, but prices put it beyond budget pockets.
The sad thing is, the staff are nice and attentive, and the building is clean, it would not take much to turn this around. HOwever, the food is flavourless and uninspired, and not even competitively priced. Todays lunch was a dull plate of curry-coloured slop and rice, no fresh herbs, no dressing, no colour, no pickle, just 1970s stodge: for the price Infinity charged me for their two ladles of green slop, I can go to a budget Indian restaurant and get a healthy and flavoursome vege meal. My partner's soup was an insult: five pounds for a large cupful of again flavourless (we couldn't tell which vegetables were used) pap, a thin slice of packet bread (not a nice chunk as you get down the road) and a miserly stub of frozen butter which destroyed my bread on impact. Cakes are also stuck in the earthernware world of the 1970s vege scene, archetypal stodgy slabs of nondescript brown sugar high. The building is clean and sterile: downstairs is cold and cluttered; tables outside are in the way of pedestrians; upstairs is one of those places which give you stomach cramps, as you can hear a pin drop. Nobody feels like making conversation, the acoustics are so rotten that music is rarely played, maybe this is because the walls are so bare? I cannot believe that the people who run such an effficient and friendly brilliant supermarket are happy to have their name on this unwelcoming, uninspired shack, selling such drab and overpriced stodge. Some vegetarians think they can only eat in 'vegetarian' businesses, just look around, things have changed out there!

2  Thank Monkeesman
InfinityFoodsKitchen, Chef at Infinity Foods Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Dear Monkeesman,

We don't usually respond to negative reviews. However yours is particularly unkind, damaging and untrue so we feel we can not let this go.

Firstly our beautiful cafe that we are very proud of continues to go from strength to strength. We are certainly not experiencing a slow and irreversible decline. The queue out of the door every lunch time testifies to this.

As to our prices, you are correct we are not the cheapest place In town. If this Is what you want then we are not for you. However if you want Organic, healthy food then we are perhaps the only cafe in town offering this. We pay significantly more for our ingredients than other places. We also pay our staff - from the cleaners to the chefs - a decent wage. This is very rare in the catering industry . However most of our customers are happy to pay a few pence more to eat food without pesticides and to relax in the knowledge the people providing their food are able to pay their rent. Again then if this is not for you then as you say you can always go to the budget Indian.

The soup you complain about was a creamy celeriac and tarragon. Some of it was left over last night and those of us still working really enjoyed having it for our tea. As did the 2 customers who asked for the recipe. As for the packet bread, that was freshly made in our bakery that morning.

The thing that really has most upset me is your comments on our cakes. Did you actually try any or see what was In them ? I wasn't alive in the 70s but I'm pretty sure these kind of things were not on the table. I'm not sure where your brown sugar high comes from as most of our cakes are sugar free. The only sugar we use is coconut palm sugar. What lumps of stodge are you referring too? We have raw lime and avocado cheesecakes, vegan Snickers and bountys, raw choc, orange blossom and maca cakes, baklava. The list goes on and I am very proud of these.

You complain about the outside tables being in peoples way. They are back off the pavement meaning pedestrians have plenty of room , so I'm not really sure why your upset about this?

As for you complaints about ambience, decor etc. Well we happen to like it and so do the vast majority of our lovely customers. And just for the record for anyone reading this, our walls are decorated with works from local artists which change regularly. We also have lots of beautiful plants both upstairs and down.
Finally we pretty much always have music playing. Just check the review below if you don't believe us!

Reviewed 31 October 2017

WE were visiting Brighton and walked nearly a mile to have a vegetarian breakfast at this restauraunt owing to the good reviews.
Arrived at 09.10 and were the only customers. Ordered veggie breakfast and off to the first floor dining area to listen to very loud Tina Turner and await developments. Coffee arrive 10 min later (Quite good) pity about it being slopped into the saucers big time - mopped up with napkins.
Breakfast 10 mins later, interesting but don't think the chef has a clue about how to poach an egg (serves me right I suppose) Deposited on table and left to search for knife fork and Salt etc ourselves. OK at Weatherspoons but at over £20 for a large and a small Breakfast and 2 coffees I was expecting to be treated as a customer and not a pest.
The whole thing was offset by a window cleaner arriving at 09.30 and cleaning the windows with enthusiasm - pity he had to open them wide on a cold morning to do it !
Did I mention the dining room is decorated on a 1950s transport cafe theme ? Hard to think of a good word to say but these guys (no sign of a lady on the premises) should not consider a career in hospitality in the future.

Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

Just loved it! We had a mixed plate and in addition to being very varied and colorful, it was really tasty! He feels that it is genuine stuff and absolutely made with love. The blond girl very smiling and kind.... And last but not least... Try the mush!!!!!!