“Not good and overpriced”
Review of A Taste of Sahara

A Taste of Sahara
Ranked #44 of 1,223 Restaurants in Brighton
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A Lebanese and Persian restaurant on Brighton���s busy Western Road, Taste of Sahara gives seaside dwellers a taste of the exotic at a very reasonable price. With its d��cor created with care to reflect the atypical Middle East of story books and holiday brochures ��� all pierced tin lanterns, heavy wood and rich colours ��� Taste of Sahara has a look which reflects the diverse flavours of its immensely flavourful menu. From kebabs to tagines, all one���s Middle Eastern favourites are offered by the Sahara kitchen, along with some lesser known dishes that will tempt the more adventurous diner. In particular, the restaurant���s mezzes prove popular, the sharing concept somehow suited to this kind of cuisine, particularly when accompanied by the BYO policy.
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Came to Brighton from London with husband and we were looking for nice, halal restaurant. I used to work in Moroccan/ Lebanese restaurant and I’m a fan of North African cuisine so we are tried different ones in London . Went here after reading all the positive reviews and I was disappointed to said it nicely. We were sat next to the door even though the restaurant was empty and no “ reserved “ cards were put on other tables. We were not particularly hungry so went and order just the mains with drinks but felt pressured by waiter to order also hummus with bread as a starter. When it arrived the hummus itself was ok but olive oil on top was too bitter. We also saw the flatbread that was served with it was bought by the waiter from Sainsbury’s ( yet they charged us 1£ for one piece of it ).The mains were just horrible. Kofta didn’t taste very fresh and lamb tagine was lacking lamb. We decided to stay as we were already tired to go and look for something else to eat. When the bill arrived we had another surprise waiting for us. 50£ spend on what was the worst Lebanese or North African food in my life. Next day we had fish and chips on the beach that tasted much better. I will avoid this place next time I come to Brighton.

SaharaBrighton, Owner at A Taste of Sahara, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

hi
i think you should stick with fish and chips.
owner

Reviewed 22 March 2018

We visited for a work 'do' - there was 12 of us. Fab food, friendly staff and you can bring your own wine with no corkage charge.
I have visited this restaurant many times and have never been disappointed.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Fantastic food, the flavours were varied and the menu had a good variety too! Really tasty food and the staff were more than friendly, over exceeded expectations! Definitely a little hidden gem of Brighton!

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Four of us ate here on a Saturday night (restaurant was packed) - we booked after reading a lot of great reviews, and were not disappointed!

When we initially walked in the smell of incense was somewhat overpowering and we thought this might affect our enjoyment of the food but it actually just added to the amazing atmosphere and we became used to it after a few minutes.

We were very well looked after by the owner and his staff, they don't have a licence to sell alcohol but are happy for you to bring your own and don't charge any corkage which is rare in Brighton. We also asked for water which arrived within seconds despite the number of customers.

Two of us had the veggie mixed mezze and specifically requested the halloumi flatbread to be included. It was out-of-this-world. The tzatziki and houmous were also delicious (high praise from me as I'm a total houmous snob).

The other two had meat dishes, both with lamb which they said was very tender and perfectly spiced. Portion sizes were generous but I'd say if you're going for a main you could probably fit in one of the starters too.

Great value for money, great staff, great atmosphere, and amazing food. Will definitely be returning.

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

I went here with eight friends and we had a great time. I loved the vine leaves starter and my lamb tajine main was good.

What made it a great night was the friendly service. It is also rare nowadays to find a restaurant where you can bring your own wine.