“Top notch South Indian dishes!!!”

Vel South Indian Kitchen + Bar
Get food delivered
Ranked #245 of 1,197 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$5 - US$19
Description: Authentic South Indian Cuisine serving Dosa,Idli,Vada and Curries
Description: Authentic South Indian Cuisine serving Dosa,Idli,Vada and Curries
Reviewed 12 December 2020 via mobile

Situated in the outskirts of Kemptown, Brighton is the fine delicacy serving haven Vel. This South Indian restaurant serves top-notch authentic South Indian dishes. Calming and caring is the atmosphere to say the least, lovely colour schemes and definitely a place for date nights. The image showcases stunning Channa Bhatura. Breathtaking is a word that can be used but doesn’t do justice to a dish as such. The deflating bread prior to consumption is a spectacular view in itself. Channa Bhatura is served with a side of chick peas and chopped onions. The combination of bread and the chick peas curry hits your palette tenderly, the creamy texture of the chick peas infused with the slightly crispy bread is a great experience. When you visit a South Indian restaurant and especially an authentic one, one must try Dosas. In the spirit of adventure the ‘Chennai Super Kings Dosa’ was ordered. The display aspect was rather intriguing, the dosa was cut in 3 and were put on the plate like stumps on a cricket pitch, vertically (rather than horizontally) WOW! The sides of 3 chutneys - coconut, coriander and tomato accompanied the magnificence of the Dosa. The experience was absolutely pleasing. For sure a great spot!

Date of visit: March 2020
Write a reviewReviews (60)

Reviewed 15 September 2020 via mobile

We have been trying to go here since we heard about it...we are huge dosa/thosai lovers and struggle to find good in Brighton.
Unfortunately the restaurant was still closed, so we went in to collect a takeaway.
When we ate our dosas less that 5 minutes after leaving the restaurant they was stone cold. The sambar I’m not even sure if it had been heated at all, it wasn’t tasty....certainly not like sambar I know... hardly any lentils and it was very watery
The red chutney was nice but the white coconut chutney lacked flavour.
The rava dosa has a consistency like plastic, again not like rava dosas I have eaten before.
The Mysore Masala was soggy and nothing like a dosa..... DO NOT ORDER DOSA AS TAKEAWAY!!
The food must have been so heavy in salt as my partner and I could not stop drinking water all night....almost 4litres between us!
Unfortunately, the next day has not been so pleasant either which makes me question the freshness of particularly the cold sambar curry, the staff had commented that it had been a really quiet September so far. .... I won’t be eating there again and I don’t recommend.

Date of visit: September 2020
1  Thank Ashona
Reviewed 30 April 2020 via mobile

We ordered a takeaway. We found the menu online rather convoluted to navigate around.
Once ordered we were given a time to collect and the food was ready at the allotted time.
The food: Average. The dishes we ordered we found to be far too spicy despite being listed as "mild"with the exception of the Palak paneer which was mild. However ,the Palak paneer was really only paneer in a vaguely creamy sauce. Anyone who is familiar with this dish would know that it is fundamentally spinach with paneer which this particular offering did not provide unfortunately.
The veg curry only had peas and sweetcorn in a tomato base - for a "veg" curry?
The boiled and tamarind rice was good.
We won't be ordering from this establishment again as we all felt better food could be got elsewhere.

Date of visit: April 2020
2  Thank jonathanrB57WP
Reviewed 10 March 2020

We have been meaning to try this place since it opened as it is just around the corner. Finally ordered a take away, but rather unimpressed !
Although the food was quite tasty, after getting it home ( about a 5 min walk) and serving immediately, the food was only just warm - as I had waited 10 mins in the restaurant to get it, it can't have been sat there for any time. Also the chicken tikka, had just 5 small pieces of chicken. Not what I would call a portion. Finally I thought the bill was quite high, and on checking saw I had been charged £1.60 PER poppadum !!!! This seems incredible nearly £10 FOR 6, and although I had asked for 3 spicy and 3 plain, they were all plain. Not a very good first impression

Date of visit: March 2020
3  Thank TheFrankster
Reviewed 7 March 2020

We ate here catching up with friends and had a very nice evening. The food was really good and the service warm and friendly - the only reason didn’t give it 5 stars was the fact it closed at 10.30 on a Saturday night.
Recommend the Chettinadu curry!

Date of visit: February 2020