“Still great!”

The Coal Shed Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Coal Shed Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 1,203 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$10 - US$100
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Coal Shed is a specialist meat and fish restaurant in the heart of Brighton. Recommended by The Telegraph and The Guardian, amongst others, this stylish, relaxed eaterie has quickly become one of the top restaurants in the city.
Reviewed 15 January 2018

It's been a couple of years since we last ate here, but I'm very pleased to say that standards for food and service are still very high. The steaks are great as are the dripping chips which are delicious.
My only observation was that the selection for the vegetarian in our party was very limited - I know it's a steak house but we had a vegetarian with us and there was just one starter and one main for her to have. A minor point and not something that really bothered me, but I'm simply just making the observation...

TheCoalShedManager, General Manager at The Coal Shed Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your feedback. I will certainly pass your observations on to the kitchen team. Definitely something to consider for our next menu change. I am glad to hear that the lack of options didn't deter you from having a nice evening.

Many Thanks,
Naomi

Write a ReviewReviews (1,461)

Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

Got taken here for my birthday. I have to say this was the best steak I have ever had; cooked to perfection and delicious onion rings and chunky chips! The level of service was also really impressive. I have always wanted to try here and have to say it did not disappoint. Will definitely be back!

Happy belated birthday and thank you for choosing the Coal Shed to celebrate your special occasion!! Really lovely feedback, I will pass this on to the whole team. Many Thanks.

Reviewed 13 January 2018

I had a bad experience trying to book a table for my partners birthday in September. I followed this up and the situation was resolved by the manageress Naomi.

Fast forward to tonight ....start of the weekend. Our meal was superb and the service attentive, warm and friendly.

We both ordered the Jacobs ladder for starters which was sublime. We then shared the Chateaubriand with sides of chips, mash and creamed spinach.

The food was so good and we had a very relaxed and chilled evening.

No hesitation to recommend and we will be back.

Many thanks to Naomi and your team.

Hi Teresa,

Thank you so much for this lovely review. I'm so pleased you had a great time and enjoyed all the food. I will pass on your wonderful comments on to the team and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Many Thanks,

Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

This was my very first visit to the coal shed in Brighton, and I had chosen it based on the reviews. It was a big celebration being my 50th Birthday , and wow was I not disappointed. The level of service and the food was amazing. Everyone in my party said they would definitely be coming back many more times in the future. Thank you to the Coal shed team for such a great evening.
The best food I have tasted in a very long time.

TheCoalShedManager, General Manager at The Coal Shed Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Happy Belated Birthday!! Thank you for choosing us for such a special occasion!! I'm so happy you have a wonderful time!! We looking forward to welcoming you back soon or for your 51st birthday!!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

Went on a a Saturday night, restaurant was full but service was still very good. Our waitress was lovely and really looked after us, giving us more time to make our choices, explaining what the dishes were and offering advice on which size Porterhouse steak to order.

We all settled on a starter call Jacob’s ladder - slow cooked beef with sliced onion and beetroot. Wow - our waitress came over as we were all making appreciative noises. Melt in the mouth with so much flavour.

Steaks for main were good and all cooked as requested. Onion rings so light and crispy.

Was a slight issue when one of the puddings that was delivered was not what was ordered. Issue resolved by our waitress instantly.

Will definitely be back!!

WOW. Thank you so much for this lovely review. I will pass on your comments to the kitchen, the Jacobs Ladder really is something else!!
I'm glad you enjoyed your experience with us. Hope to see you again soon.