“Had dinner here - nice food - share a large Calamari, excellent.”
Review of The Horse Box

The Horse Box
Ranked #142 of 477 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Lunch or dinner is served in The Horsebox, a casual and informal venue decorated in a sporting theme featuring the famous Cresta Run. A wide selection of individually priced brasserie style dishes, from a simple sandwich to a full meal. An excellent choice of wholesome, well-cooked food which is served from 12 noon until 10pm every day. Situated on the ground floor of the main house adjacent to the reception hall. A flexible dining option in a comfortable and welcoming environment.
Reviewed 20 June 2016

Had dinner here - nice food - share a large Calamari, excellent. Fish pie was a winner and I had Ham hock cauliflower cheese.

Reviewed 31 May 2016

I would not recommend this place.

Service was painful, food was average at best. You would get better food in a nice gastropub.

And it really wasn't cheap either.

Reviewed 29 May 2016

A co-worker took myself and another american here while we were in town for business. We wanted to go somewhere we hadn't been on our previous trips and were close by. Driving onto the estate was something out of any number of films about the old manor house era (or Downton Abbey).

There is parking but it may get full if the restaurant is full of people not staying at the hotel.

You walk into what is a wonderful estate. Down a few steps is the restaurant and bar. There isn't a large amount of seating in that area so you will want to call ahead and make a reservation. We were lucky and got a table right away but were warned about needing reservations.

The dining room is a quiet area with soft reds and browns to decorate the area. The whole room welcomes you and makes you feel as if you are the lord/lady being served.
The service is wonderful and always attentive. We were impressed at their ability to handle a large group of people celebrating near us and keep on top of the other tables in the room.

The food is a mix of dishes and all looked wonderful. I had a goat cheese ravioli which was a wonderful mix of creamy cheese and a tomato sauce which wasn't too sweet or overpowering.

One coworker got a stuffed chicken wrapped in banana (yes you read that correct) which he said was quite good. The other co-worker got a sort of seafood "scramble" with potatoes on top. It looked quite good and he said it was great.

The price is on par with the service, location and food. So I wouldn't come here expecting to walk out only paying 10 pounds. I believe we did well in getting our dinner and only paying around 60 for the three of us.

I believe it was worth it as a treat. We were on business so technically I wasn't paying. But I would go back and take my wife if I when I'm in town next.

Reviewed 27 May 2016

I visited as part of a ladies lunch club. Service was excellent from start to finish, very good food and wonderful ambience. Outstanding decor, staff were friendly and very helpful.

Reviewed 26 May 2016 via mobile

Food was nice, the only reason I have given 2 stars. The service is horrible, 40 mins for a piece of whiting is not acceptable, especially when the waiter told me itll be 15 minutes and the resteraunt has only 3 tables and 4 servers and a manager. Also watched a table recieve a panna cotta before their mains. Its almost like watching fawlty towers.