“Thoroughly Enjoyable And Comforting Food.”
Review of The Horse Box

The Horse Box
Ranked #140 of 473 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Lunch or dinner is served in The Horsebox, a casual and informal venue decorated in a sporting theme featuring the famous Cresta Run. A wide selection of individually priced brasserie style dishes, from a simple sandwich to a full meal. An excellent choice of wholesome, well-cooked food which is served from 12 noon until 10pm every day. Situated on the ground floor of the main house adjacent to the reception hall. A flexible dining option in a comfortable and welcoming environment.
Reviewed 25 February 2017

I have stayed a number of times at the wonderful hotel in the past year or so and love to use my visits as an excuse to sit in the atmospheric, cosy brasserie which serves delicious, often highly comforting but stylishly served food, glugging down one of the gins from its wonderful available range and a glass of one of the enjoyable wines on offer. If I lived locally I should want to know about this place and go there rather often.

On my recent three night stay, I ate in the Brasserie all three evenings and thoroughly enjoyed myself. A glance at the menu gives the impression of a quite highly-priced range of food on offer but when one's plate arrives and one tucks in to the food on it, it's pretty clear that the food is very fairly priced.

There is a good choice of food on the menu but I've rather fallen in love with the wonderful looking pies and the fish and chips. One night, I had beef and mushroom pie - the splendidly glazed pastry covering the dish was hiding a very generous amount of beautifully tender beef beneath it in some nice gravy with tasty mushrooms and it was all served with honey drizzled vegetables which were a nice complement to the pie even if honey-covered broccoli and cauliflower seem to be a little unusual. I followed up with a delicious and pleasingly light parfait.

The next night was my fish and chip night. The fish on offer was the most perfectly cooked, snowy white, meaty cod in the most deliciously golden and crispy batter and it was served along with highly respectable chips, a little dab of mushy peas and a dish of fine tartare sauce. Better cod and chips than these would be hard to find throughout the land. My dessert, a perfectly runny-centred chocolate and salted caramel fondant, made the evening just about perfect.

Evening 3 - a starter of delightful carrot and coriander soup of a perfect thickness - served perhaps just a little too prettily in a bowl - I would have liked a little more soup in the bowl if only because it was so tasty and comforting on a cold, blowy, dark February evening. The soup was served by two sensibly-sized pieces of fresh tasty bread. Then a chicken pie - again lots of tasty, nicely-cooked meat under a lovely pastry roof. No room left for pudding sadly.

I think the service in the brasserie is excellent - the waiters and waitresses are charming, friendly but polite and professional, helpful and service does not appear to be slow at all (sometimes Tripadvisors seem to forget that you have to allow time for fresh food to actually be cooked and it doesn't just reach perfection in the space of a couple of minutes so that the waiter can come flying out like a boomerang with a course which has appeared instantly).

I also like the service at the bar and the excellent drinks conjured up by the knowledgeable young bar staff.

Well done Ellenborough Park Brasserie.

1  Thank white_knight_and_dog

Reviewed 21 February 2017 via mobile

For a high end hotel staff not well trained or attentive. Had to request wine once main course arrived. Leaning across table by staff.

Reviewed 20 February 2017

The food was well prepared and very freshly cooked. A fairly limited menu, but I think that is a plus in that it demonstrates the use of fresh ingredients

Reviewed 4 February 2017

This is a lovely hotel in a great setting. The on site brasserie offers a more informal room than the main restaurant so its a good place to go if you aren't up for the whole "fine dining" thing. It has a small bar and a casual seating area - nice for a quick drink if food isn't on your list at the time.

As a G&T fan always happy to see a gin menu. This was pretty lengthy with some interesting combinations - not sure if the ones I had were completely to my taste but that's half the fun.

Starter of scallops was good - light and well paired with the cooked Parma ham. Lovely fillet steak to follow - beautifully cooked and with just the right amount of chunky chips and salad. Side of broccoli and almonds not bad - perhaps a little soft?
He had a ham hock pie - a big pie fan, always on the look out for a good one. This one looked great but was too salty - so a little disappointing for my pie aficionado. . . . . . No puds - just a latte and the bill.

So, nice but not an unqualified success.

Go here if you are in the vicinity - given the price and the fact that the food is good but not great, I don't think its worth a trip out of town in its own right.

One other thing - I think as a room it works best in the dark evenings of autumn/winter. Its quite a dark room with a smallish window and dark decor - this makes it quite cosy in the winter but with lighter nights and bright days you may be yearning to see some of that sun and I'm afraid you won't here.

Reviewed 25 January 2017

While staying at the hotel on a deal to celebrate a birthday, we decided to stick with the on site Brasserie restaurant on our arrival day which was also the birthday itself.

The staff where polite, informative & made reference to my partner's birthday on our arrival. The menu is more limited then some other establishments but there is still plenty of choice & it is clearly shaped around seasonal produce. The food we had was well prepared & delicious. I do not often have steak (too often disappointed) but I am very happy I did go for the rib-eye on this occasion as it was excellent.

Definitely one of the more expensive restaurants but a nice atmosphere for us to enjoy as a couple & the the glasses of champagne presented at our table to celebrate the birthday were a lovely touch.