Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$87
View deal
PricelineUS$87
Expedia.comUS$87
Hotels.comUS$87
TravelocityUS$87
Orbitz.comUS$87
Trip.comUS$96
All reviews crows nest the pub a great night stay parmesan fries white hart dab radio pie sticky toffee pudding lovely lunch fish and chips lovely place both mornings varied menu old building steak lovely room market square
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 August 2022

We spent 1 night a the Stag at Stow and I couldn't recommend the place enough, we booked on the day we were arriving, we phoned ahead to make sure the room was dog friendly which it was, the guy we spoke to (we didn't get his name which I regret as he deserves to be recognised for his exceptional customer service, I got the feeling he may be the manager) reserved our room and we agreed the price we had seen on Booking.com, however, when we arrived he gave us the room at a discounted rate which was hugely appreciated as he didn't need to do something so kind.

The room was perfect, we stayed in room 11 which was at the top of the building, I loved the style of the room and it was very clean. The bed was really comfy too!

Our evening meal was amazing, exactly what we wanted from "pub-grub" it was to a very high standard and the service was great, very friendly polite staff. Breakfast was included and was also to a very high standard.

Overall I was shocked to read this hotel has had some low reviews as our stay couldn't of been better!

Just as an added comment, this is my first tripadvisor review, I felt the need to make people aware of how lovely of a place it is, don't always go off what other people say.

Reviewed 15 August 2022 via mobile

Food was excellent and so was service. Took our 2 year old labrador who is not yet used to crowds and they found us a good spot outside. Even when she was barking they made us feel comfortable. Will be going again. We had steak and chips and local lagers. Also the aperol spritz where particularly good.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2022 via mobile

The location of the hotel was great for our needs but unfortunately other factors seriously detracted from our stay.

At the time of booking we enquired about checking in early and were informed that it wouldn’t be possible due to enhanced cleaning being carried out due to covid. We were happy with this and told in an email ‘you can leave any bags with us whilst you go explore the town’. When we called on the day before our visit we were then told that no - we could not leave any bags with them, nor could we check-in any earlier and it would be £25 extra to check-in between the hours or 10pm and midnight. This we again accepted given the late hour and booked our late check-in. We were therefore surprised when we arrived at 11.30pm to find the whole place locked and dark. We called the number to find out that the staff had not been told about our late checkin (although they had managed to charge us for it) and they would walk back to let us in (around 20 minutes). Having left a wedding early to ensure we didn’t keep the staff waiting any longer than we had agreed in advance this was a real disappoint as we sat on the curb outside the hotel with all of our luggage until midnight.

We had booked ourselves into one of the larger rooms with a bath as we thought we’d treat ourselves a bit but were again very disappointed by the state of the room. We had broken furnishings (pictured) and the bathroom ceiling looks like someone has done a poor job of covering over the mould (also pictured).

The breakfast was tasty and staff in the morning were friendly but the disappointment about the state of the room plus the fact we were left outside after prearranging a late check-in left this whole stay feeling like a real let down. Overall, I wouldn’t recommend this hotel to anyone.

Reviewed 14 August 2022 via mobile

Visited on a Tuesday night with my husband to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary.
Had a drink outside first in the garden which was nice, lots of tables and a nice atmosphere.
However, then moved indoors for the meal. The restaurant was completely empty except for us (of course, this wasn’t the fault of the restaurant) but resulted in a feel of no atmosphere whatsoever. We also didn’t see any staff except when they came to take our orders or bring food (although when we did see them they were very nice).
For starters, my husband had the mussels (bland) and I had the cauliflower fritter which were totally nondescript, not much flavour and served with a blob of nasty tasting (from a jar) mango chutney.
For our main courses, we both went for veggie dishes, both of which were a huge disappointment. My husband chose the roasted cauliflower which turned out to be a few pieces of burnt, dry cauliflower in the middle of a plate. I went for the celeriac steak. Usually I’m not a fussy eater and will finish anything but even I couldn’t eat it. The steak itself was ok, but it was on a bed of some kind of wet, slimy, tasteless chard.
Neither of us could face ordering desserts as we just wanted to leave!
We requested the bill and it was brought with the 12.5% service charge added on. My husband requested that this be removed as we had been disappointed by the quality of the food. The waiter was very polite and agreed to take this off straight away. He also apologised for us having been largely neglected all evening.
The staff that we did see were all really nice, friendly and polite. But the food really was of a low standard and it was a very disappointing evening for such a special anniversary.

Reviewed 7 August 2022 via mobile

Staff were friendly and we enjoyed our breakfast and meal in the bar. The room was filthy - thick dust everywhere. Windows were dirty as was the handwash on the sink. The rooms need a proper clean. Such a shame as it’s in a beautiful position in the village square. We were next door in room 2 at the front, apparently what had previously been a youth hostel. Needs a deep clean!!

Date of stay: July 2022