“Lovely ”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

First of all reading the comment from Ian.g I'm not surprised, all they did was moan from the off, think they thought they were owed something in life the way they were talking about money. Anyway, we had the scampi and the fish and chips, both were amazing value, lovely service and left very full

1  Thank Mr T

Reviewed 12 April 2017

I have been aware of this pub virtually all of my adult life, am now 73 unfortunately but not too ancient to make an honest and factual review of any of life's experiences.
There is no need to lie or embellish, it serves no purpose, so, this did happen, honestly.
The experience was between terrible and amusing, both applied in equal measure.
To set the scene.
Two of us, sensible mature adults, called in for a light lunch and a drink.
We sat down and a waitress came to us a few minutes later and handed us the menu on a wooden board which was the size of a roof shingle but manageable none the less. ( I know where to go if I need a piece of wood to patch my shed.)
We looked and chose and a short while later the same waitress, also a mature perfectly polite lady, returned and asked for our order.
I chose a cheddar sandwich with onion and a coffee, my sister asked what the soup of the day was and the waitress, who seemed almost surprised at the question, stated she would go and ask. Surely somebody else had enquired that day? (This is where the amusing part begins and a certain Victoria Wood sketch is the clue.)
The waitress returned a short while later with the information, my sister thanked her but ordered a prawn sandwich and a still water.
I told the waitress that all I wanted was the sandwich and not to include the fries and salad which appeared with it, as on the menu.
My sister had not realised that these two items were part of the meal and asked just for the salad.
In both our cases the food was not wanted and was a total waste for us and for the pub, we did not expect a reduction in the price, we just did not want the additions.
The waitress told us that we should have it anyway as it was included in the price and we might change our minds, we informed her that we would not and just wanted what we ordered.
The coffee arrived as did the water.
After trying the coffee a short time later it was barely warm.
The waitress returned some time later with our order.
I had the sandwich ordered which arrived WITH the fries and salad, my sisters order arrived, again WITH fries and salad.
There seemed little point in making anything of this as the food was going to be wasted anyway come hell or high water apparently and we just wanted to get on with things.
I pointed out to the waitress that the coffee was barely warm and she took it away and reheated it.( I did get another biscuit... result!)
We began our sandwiches which to be honest were awful and we really should, on reflection have sent them back, the bread was VERY dry, not stale, but they were just about edible to a starving man shall we say. (In any case we were hungry and leave it at that.)
To be fair, if the sandwiches had been prepared by my five year old grandchild it would have been fantastic and worthy of much praise and encouragement but, that was not the case and as a result I am afraid.....no gold stars here!
The waitress appeared during or meal and came up to me, bending down almost level with my head and said (Gods honour this is the truth) pointing at the little bucket of unwanted and unordered fries
"Have a chip."
I said, "I don't want one and I didn't order them anyway."
She said, "Go on, give it a try."
I thanked her for her interest but again declined.
The experience took me back to my childhood when an ancient relative would come up and say "eat your greens!"
A short while later she returned and cleared our bits and pieces .
Last night I viewed a programme in remembrance of Victoria Wood which included "The Waitress" sketch which, not wishing to be or perceived to be, rude, had many similarities to our unfortunate experience at The Corner Cupboard.
It is hard for proprietors to earn a buck but, if you choose to provide food etc, and then to serve up food at the pathetic standard that we experienced is inexcuseable in any circumstance.
Sandwiches are not rocket science although in this case, they apparently were
The only circumstance that I can accept what was served to us as being reasonable, is if the Chef/Food preparer was in fact the five year old grandchild of one of the staff or perhaps, they may be starting work experience at a much earlier age nowadays.
It is such a sad example of low and poor standards and one hopes that if food of whatever hue is served at the premises in future to other customers/tourists, whatever, then those customers either have a very good sense of humour, a low expectancy of quality but it being worth the rustic experience, or are prepared to pay good money for a less than acceptable item.
Or, perhaps they may be lucky, life is a lottery after all
When a child in the late 1940's, I clearly remember being shown the Winchcombe Stocks which dated back several hundred years and are as I recall, still on display within the village.
As the Winchcombe Carnival approaches in August I think, if the sort of food served continues then, whoever is responsible could perhaps be made to make use of them in order that he/she, be made an example of.
I would certainly pay good money to go along and throw dry/stale bread at him in preference to tomatoes.

5  Thank ian g
Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

Well that's a surprising place.
Very quaint, ideal place to take your American visitors. They will love it.
It's like a tea rooms inside, even with the desserts are stored in a display case.

1  Thank David W
Reviewed 22 March 2017

Went for a meal on friday night after a cold day at the races. Sat on the comfy sofas at the top of the restaurant whilst waiting for my table people from the area were talking to us like we were long lost friends asking of we had had a good day. my 3 friends and myself were shown promptly to our table by very accomadating staff. Thenasked if we would like drinks whilst we looked at our menu I was so impressed by the choices on the menu and prices were very very resonable. I chose the steak which was cooked to perfection. 1 friend chose the massive gold cup burger which we thought was very apptly named for the time of year. The other 2 members of the party had scampi but wanted to change what was printed on the menu and the waitress was very accomadating and said it was no problem. All our meals came out beautifully presented and piping hot which is always a bonus. Kitchen staff were at the time standing in line singing and dancing which was amazing to see. Then we finished off the night to a singer who was fantastic whilst we enjoyed a few bottles of wine. Will be returning next year with out a doubt. Thank you and well done to all staff at the corner cupboard.

1  Thank heather1607
Reviewed 21 March 2017 via mobile

We recently visited the corner Cuboard and had an absolutely fantastic meal! It was presented beautifully and tasted incredible! Will definitely be returning:)

2  Thank Ruby P