“Well worth a visit”

Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

Came here for Saturday lunch and was really impressed. The place had an intimate and cozy feel but certainly not pretentious. The staff were friendly but not over baring and the service times were just right, not too slow or rushed.

The amuse bouche were a great start and we loved the welsh rarebit. The bread is as good as everyone says although possibly too big a serving as its easy to fill up on it. We had all the dishs between us and the cod was the stand out dish of the four. £100 for a 3 course michelin star lunch for 2 with a bottle of chablis felt well worth it

1  Thank Adrian J

Reviewed 24 July 2017

As a birthday treat, my wife took me 5 North Street and it hit the spot in so many ways. We decided to go for the three course meal rather than the tasting menu but with the amuse bouche, the spectacular homemade joined loaves with home made butter and beef dripping (mousse-like consistency) and gazpacho, it felt like a tasting menu. The ambience is that of two front rooms of a house with homely surroundings and service. Meals start at 7pm and you need to be there promptly...and book in advance! A choice of three starters, three mains and two desserts and cheese mean that everything is crafted and presented perfectly and you do feel as though you have chosen a special place.
We shall certainly return and won't want to wait long to do so.

1  Thank Filmman70
Reviewed 23 July 2017

We visited North Street for the second time this year for our wedding anniversary and again we were not disappointed. It is an extremely attractive restaurant situated in the town of Winchcombe in the Cotswolds. The Chef/Proprietor is hands-on and front of house is managed by his very pleasant and charming wife. The food is absolutely amazing, innovative and portion size is just about right. The gluten free bread is probably the best I've experienced in any restaurant and that provided for my husband was wonderful. No weeny bread rolls here, two small attractive loaves one wholemeal and one white. As my husband couldn't maange the two, they obligingly wrapped it up for him to take home. There were nice little touches to the meal such as an appetiser to start followed by an amuse bouche. The wine list is also very good and varied. They catered extremely well for my gluten and lactose intolerances and went out of their way to provide me with a delicious dessert as this is one aspect of a meal that I have difficulty with due to my dietary problems. Obviusly for this standard of food it is at the higher end but still we believe, very good value for money considering the skill and imagination of the chef. We woud go back at the drop of a hat and would certainly recommend it if you enjoy good food very attractive surroundings..

1  Thank Joyce_gas
Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

We visited 5 North Street for dinner as a couple on a Wednesday night. Ahead of the evening we had decided to try the 7 course gourmet tasting menu at £74 per person. The venue itself is charming with a rustic feel and the atmosphere was quiet but not overly stuffy.

The food is clearly the highlight and all of the courses were very good to excellent. Pork belly and monkfish stood out as particularly well executed. Unusually the cheese course arrived before dessert.

The wine list was very reasonable with more than half the reds being less than £40 per bottle but I did feel it was a little limited. The Rioja Reserva we decided on was nice at around £35 but I'd have happily paid more, however I didn't recognise any of the more expensive bottles.

The toilet facilities could definitely use a refurbishment and particularly the tap in the ladies sink had a habit of spraying the user with water.

Overall though it was an excellent meal. The total cost was £218 before tip and included two glasses of champagne, two port, a bottle of wine and the gourmet menu for two.

1  Thank Simon B
Reviewed 13 July 2017

Small old place with limited seating. The restaurant resembles a living room. Our two starters were good, especially the quail dish. My lamb was very good, but the red mullet with duck egg pasta was a miss. Cost was £45 each for a two course fixed price menu.