“Good Steak and Some Good Ideas”
Review of The Falcon

The Falcon
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 March 2018

It is a restaurant with a small bar area rather than a pub. It is popular and we booked for a Tuesday night and the place was fairly busy. The interior is smartly decorated in ‘older worlde’ style, but its genuine, with wooden beams and low ceilings. The service was prompt and friendly. They have a good selection of decent beers including my particularly favourite Timothy Taylor’s Landlord. There is a full menu although the place is really all about steaks, many of which are produced on the nearby family farm. They range from 7oz to 50 oz and if you manage to eat all of one of the 32 or 50 oz steaks you get you name written on the wall. Not sure about this, I would rather a place concentrated on quality rather than quantity and was frequented by those seeking very good food, not showing off with trials of digestive strength.
We had haddock goujons for starters, they were nice, good fish, light crisp batter but perhaps just a little too much cooking oil dripping from them. But a good starter. Then we all had steak. I had the 14oz fillet. It was very good, not the best steak I have ever had but never the less very good, tender, cooked exactly as ordered, fairly flavourful. The chips were also good, large, crisp. The menu has a system where for your veg that come with the meal you choose one from each of three groups of alternatives. I liked the system, it offered more choice than usual. The veg themselves were fine, not special but fine.
There was a selection of the usual desserts but we were full by then.
A better than average pub steak dinner, some interesting innovations. They also sell steaks to take away, there is a chill cabinet full of them, another good innovation. If I lived in the area I could see myself going in there now and then to buy a steak to take home to cook. Overall better than average, good value, when I am next in the area I would go again.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

Having had a brilliant first experience, returned for an anniversary meal. Chef being unwell meant we had to reschedule to the evening but worth the wait. As before, the fillet steak was exceptional.

What made the difference this time was the lengths Andy and the staff went to make our visit memorable. Even the 'wine' incident made the evening more fun.

Thanks to everyone. We will be returning.

Thoroughly recommended.

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Old fashioned steakhouse menu. Steaks cooked to perfection ,faultless service and the gin and tonics are pretty good too. What’s not to like ?

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

what such lovely place warm and relaxing and food is out standing never tasted food like it amazing and friendly staff hollie and tez nice log burners very worth it

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

We stayed in Wotton for the weekend and we were recommended the Falcon as a good place to eat. We were not disappointed. Three of us had steaks which were very well cooked and one of our party had the sea bass. Well, we were all very pleased with our meal. The service was excellent and the pub was inviting on a cold night. I would thoroughly recommend the falcon for both steak and the fish.