Lowest prices for your stay
US$98
View deal
Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
1,600 results
All reviews club room dyson fan glass wall privacy glass tribute night modern hotel huge tv coffee machine sky tv great facilities leisure facilities steam room rooms are small weekend break the pub comfy bed short stay
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 August 2021

None of the technology worked. It was the busiest hotel I have ever been to. Everything is made unnecessarily complicated. The breakfast food was terrible. It was unclean. When we complained, the staff didn't even acknowledge it, she just asked if we wanted a starbucks. They were understaffed and the staff were under trained.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Sunshine58485958191
Rojan Jimmy, Owner at Village Hotel Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2021

Reviewed 7 August 2021 via mobile

Not a full service hotel. If your expecting someone to serve you on any usual hotel capacity this isn't for you. It's like a Nandos concept, you do all the work, make your own key, check yourself on, get your own meals and the staff are on hand to ensure you stick rigidly to their regulations and procedures none of which anyone explains to you on arrival. Did you book a slot for breakfast, did you book a slot for dinner regardless if its included in your rate you will have to wait unless you booked a table in advance. The queues for coffee at breakfast are amusing, one automated coffee machine relaxes it's way through the chaos. Inclusive rates for dinner mean you cannot order on the app and have to wait in line at the horrifically busy bar to order with guests arguing with each other about who was first to be served. This is not a hotel to relax in, its great if your a labourer on a job and they've put you up for a few night working away as you can get tanked up in the noisy pub area, the word grill I suspect is more artistic license that fact as the food looks good but I suspect the deep fat fryer is the hardest working appliance in the hotel with the deep freeze taking the prize for runner up. Rooms are OK bit tnot very well cleaned, had to clean the wc for gross spillage all down the outside before use, room smelled of stale smoke as well. Air conditioning works well. Inner rooms have windows facing each other at close range so they've had to put transfers on the windows so guests don't see into each others rooms, these just feel like bars on the windows, again not pleasant. The windows are small and inner rooms are dark and dingy and feel almost windowless, not great if you need to work in your room with desk facing the wall in a dark corner. All I all if I was staying for one night on a work thing this would be marginally better than a travelodge or similar to a premier Inn but far more expensive. If you want a break then don't waste your money here, it's hard work. We're still here considering losing what we've paid and going somewhere else but we'll most likely tolerate it and learn from the experience. Hotel posts great photos and lists its benefits which promises much and sounds like a great choice but the reality is its a bit grim. Staff were polite and friendly but were strangley very busy considering the guests have to do most of the work. Saying that if you're under 20 and/or haven't much experience in hotel services or expectations you might like it. Ps you'll need your own transport as there is nothing within walking distance except the marriott hotel which annoyingly looks like a much better choice.

Room tip: Get outer view rooms as inner ones have smoked glass and are dark an dingy. Arrive early as even if you check in online they will just change your room if they need to.
Date of stay: August 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jasit2405
Rojan Jimmy, Owner at Village Hotel Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2021

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback.

I am sorry that your stay was not as per our usual standards. We do have a receptionist at hand 24/7 to help you with check-in incase you do not want to use the kiosk ipad check-in. Pub does get really full as it is popular with both residents and non residents. We recommend making reservation for all meal periods to avoid any disappointment.

I am pleased to read that our staff were pleasant during all your interactions.

We hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2021

Unfortunately after a few great experiences pre Covid I took my family for lunch, service was beyond shocking. Waited 15 mins for a menu, we weren’t informed that half the menu was not available until we went to order how could you fail to tell us this when you handed us the menu? No cutlery given had to ask twice, meal had to be sent back as incorrect and whilst this was happening a stag party where having drinks and as pleasant as they where I am shocked that they were allowed to continue given the time of day and with kids present as it became uncomfortable at many times. Just not great experience

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank sarahhR7657UQ

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback.

I am really sorry for the terrible experience in the pub and would like to opportunity to discuss further with you. Please could you kindly write to me on rojan.jimmy@village-hotels.com

Reviewed 7 August 2021

Unfortunately the restaurant let you down. Running out of breakfast for my family wasn’t a good start then not having any tables for dinner was the icing on the cake!! We were advised that there was no need to book a table but then turned away on the evening. We weren’t even offered a time to return. The Portsmouth hotel is quite isolated so it’s not like we could walk out anywhere either. Disappointing really. The pool was good but we were told children were allowed between 0900-1200 but when we were in there they got kicked out of the Lane swimming. My children are teenagers so we were dumbfounded as to why you would advertise family times then kick my not so young children out. The couple of days we were there we were let down, they’re only interested in the gym customers and no focus on the residents. We won’t be using the Village again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank HMSDAVE69

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. I am sorry we didn't quite get everything right on this occasion and I have shared your feedback with the relevant departmental managers for review to hopefully alleviate some of the issue you faced.

Reviewed 3 August 2021

Call me old fashioned but what's wrong with a reception desk when you walk into a hotel? It was strange to just see staff wandering around what I assume is the 'lobby' and the room keys are just laid out on a table. She might nip over to type something into her Mac at some point this is the most casual reception I've ever seen.
Then there's no phone in the room but an Alexa instead? Turned that sh*t off immediately. The bathroom 'wall' is actually a window. Yes, I know you can make it frosty but some of appreciate 100% privacy, not 51.354%...
The food/room service was good if not a tad over priced.
The bed was big and comfy but the rest of the room was a little too dark/jazzy/overwhelming - probably because the only source of light is in the bathroom.
Weirdly though, considering all of the above I actually quite liked the hotel. The location was good, and plenty of parking, Starbucks treats in the room waiting for me after a 13 hour shift... it wasn't so bad afterall!

Date of stay: July 2021
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Becca C

Hi Becca,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It did make me chuckle I must say. If you do visit us again please do ask for Jimmy. I would love to say hello.