“One night at Ibis Portsmouth”

Ibis Portsmouth Centre
Ranked #23 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Having stayed in a few Ibis hotels across Europe, I knew what I was expecting. Very basic but comfy decor which was good value for money.

However, I found the price here to be more expensive (£70 a night) compared to other Ibis hotels in Europe, especially when internet isn't even included in the rooms or lobby like other ones I've stayed in.

The city centre tends to get quite loud in the weekends with revellers, so if you have a street facing room then the windows need to be shut otherwise it gets really noisy.

We also had a 3rd bed installed in our room (which we didn't ask for), which made the room a lot smaller. I would have asked to change but it was ok as we were only staying one night. Some bathrooms are really a lot smaller compared to others.

Overally I would say it was ok and I would stay again as I know what I get with Ibis standards.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
ibisportsmouth, General Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. Kind Regards, Jacek

Write a ReviewReviews (1,610)

Reviewed 20 August 2012

I was looking for a pitsop hotelbefore catching an early ferry to France. At £49 this fitted the bill quite well. Taxi to the ferryport was only another £6.
Very standard IBIS but as someone else has commented even smaller rooms and bathrooms than usual. Staff helpful and place clean etc. There were coffee making facilities in the room.
Had a drink in the bar but didn't eat there. Not right in the town centre therefore not very clear where you would walk to a safe pub or restuarant.
At £50 it's OK, but at £70 or more I suggest you look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
ibisportsmouth, General Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I will share your comments with my team. We hope to see you back at Ibis Hotel in the near future. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed 19 August 2012

A standard IBIS set up although the rooms are smaller and the room had a very small shower facility. If you can good a good rate then perfectly OK.

With the warm weather and inability to open the window more than a inch it was very hot.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time and leaving your thoughts on here. I am happy you enjoyed your stay at the Ibis Portsmouth hotel. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed 19 August 2012

Firstly Location : A very short walk from Portsmouth & Southsea rail station , walkable distance to Historic Dockyard & Gunwharf Quays. There is a Weatherspoons Pub nearby , located right next to the University.

Impressions of Hotel : Checking in - quick & efficient . The room was clean & tidy,the bathroom isn't large by any standards , but it was clean , functional , plenty of hot water & the shower was perfectly adeqate.

Breakfast : I enjoyed the breakfast , the food was hot & plenty to choose from , Restaurant staff were always available if needed. I didn't have any other meals so I cannot comment.

Sleep Quality : Bed comfortable , the behaviour of other people who show no consideration for others when returning in the early hours probably isnt' something the Hotel staff can do anything about , still it did not stop me from having a decent nights sleep.

If you want 4* hotel accommodation then the Ibis is not for you , If I am visiting Portsmouth again I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Ibis Portsmouth Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed 17 August 2012

I chose a cheap hotel, so perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised by a lack of quality. Safety is a different matter.

When I went down to breakfast, water was dripping through a gap in the ceiling where a tile had fallen onto the floor. The floor was very wet in that part of the restaurant. By the time I was on my second piece of toast, the drip had become something of a torrent. A second tile hit the deck and broke into prices. Two other tiles were looking unstable and the wet parts of the ceiling and the floor were moving towards me. If the hotel staff were concerned about the danger to the public (i.e. paying guests), it didn't show. Breakfast just carried on as normal. This was certainly different from the normal health and safety culture that we are used to.

The bathroom was very small and the shower inadequate. The water came in a choice of two temperatures, very cold and scalding hot, with nothing apparently in between. The walls are very thin and it is not the place to go if you want a quiet night.

The room was clean and the central location was good.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Jim503775

Thank you for your feedback. At Ibis, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I would like to confirm that our maintenance team attended the incident immediately and we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence. Kind Regards, Jacek