“Average ”

Ibis Portsmouth Centre
Ranked #23 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

This hotel was booked by my work, I wouldn't have chosen it personally but I was away on business.

The room was small and the bathroom smaller especially as I was in a double on my own and it was small even just for me. The room was hot and fan tiny and not great.

Breakfast was good and staff friendly when you could find someone.

This hotel seems to be like an upmarket hostel. A little strange feel about it

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
ibisportsmouth, General Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Ibis Portsmouth. We have noted your comments about your stay which we are addressing. Kind regards, Cristina Cavaco

Write a ReviewReviews (1,592)

Reviewed 15 July 2017

Never stayed in an Ibis before, so found the receptionless reception interesting! Staff were accessible and available and I got my key quickly and easily. The room was small but very well designed to fit everything in, although if you were a slightly bigger person, I'm only 5.2 the toilet area might have been more difficult to navigate! Only stayed one night. Sleep quality was good, and breakfast had everything that is expected. It is slightly more basic than other chains but manages to incorporate everything you need with minimum fuss and no bells and whistles.

Room Tip: This hotel has a central location but suffers from road noise so if this is an issue you ask to be l...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business

Thanks for your review. I’m glad you had a good stay with us at Ibis Portsmouth and I hope to see you on your next trip. Kind regards, Cristina Cavaco

Reviewed 12 July 2017

This - for me - was a good modern hotel: welcoming and efficient. Admittedly, the ensuite was barely big enough to turn around but the bed was comfortable, the room clean and the breakfast hot and tasty.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Ibis Portsmouth. Kind regards, Cristina Cavaco

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

I returned yesterday from a 1 night stay with some friends. We booked three rooms, with two people in each. The first thing to note is that we booked through Expedia. No where in the Hotel details did it state that it was a 'Budget Hotel'. After being told this during our visit by other guest we established it most defiantly is. I paid £366 for the three rooms for one night, that is not budget prices regardless. The worst thing was the nights sleep. It was 29 Degrees in my room at 2am. The hotel has no air con. It offered only a small tower fan which in my room seemed to be broken as it would not stand without falling, not that it had any effect. The window could only open half an inch, the room size was smaller then what I expect in Beijing. It was atrocious. All 6 of our group experiences the same in their rooms. We much of had a hours sleep at best. I was literally putting with sweat just laying on the bed trying to sleep.

To top it off, our rooms were adjoining the lift shaft. We could hear every single person coming and going from the hole floor. The TV's do not have a max volume, we could hear another rooms TV to the point that we knew the exact programme they were watching.

The heat alone was enough to make the stay untenable. To be made to sleep in a room which is almost 30 degrees at 2am is unacceptable. Especially as it has no windows and is smaller then a shoe box. I will be demanding full refunds for each room and will be contacting Expedia today, making sure they make it clear that the hotel is a BUDGET hotel, even though they charge £122 a room!!

I have to note the bathroom size. I am not exaggerating, I genuinely could not take my jeans off with the door shut, it was simply to tight. Every time anyone in the 3 rooms needed to get changed the person they were sharing with had to wait in the hallway.

Without a doubt, stay away from this place. A tent would of been a better choice, and more spacious.

There is no way I will allow them to take my money for a night of hell. Spoiled the whole weekend.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank philipmoylan
ibisportsmouth, Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your comments after your recent stay in our hotel.

I am sorry to read that the hotel did not meet your expectations. For that, I would like to offer you my apologies.
We understand that the summer heat can be uncomfortable and are always looking for new ways to provide comfort to our guests.

In relation to the room rate, hotels operate a flexible pricing policy so that, as with low cost airlines, the price depends very much on levels of demand. This policy allows us to promote very attractive prices on some days, but prices are higher on days when there is higher demand. This usually revolves around specific events in the city, when all hotels adopt the same approach. As ever, from a commercial perspective, price is always subject to supply and demand.

Best regards,

Sergio Rojo

Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

Best bit about this hotel was check in and then check out.

Happy greeting on arrival and I liked that we could drop our room key off without any fuss but £151 for one night in a tiny bedroom and a ridiculously small bathroom feels like robbery.

Don't get me wrong, the location is good but paying a premium price you really should get better. The bar prices are expensive, the staff serving were miserable, very happy to leave and I'll never go back.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KevinPhilips
ibisportsmouth, Assistant General Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2017

Dear guest,

I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at the Ibis Portsmouth Centre.

I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating the matter that you mentioned in relation to your bar and restaurant experience.

In regards with the room pricing, I am sorry that you found the cost of your stay at the hotel to be expensive. I’m afraid that pricing in hotels (whether ours or other brands’) follows the laws of supply and demand. Prices therefore become dependent on time of booking.

We feel this rate was competitive by comparison with what other hotels were charging at the time.

Please feel free to contact me on h1461-dm@accor.com to discuss this further and in person.

Kind regards,