“Excellent chance to sample a wide range of different and interesting cheeses”
Review of Cheese & Cheers

Cheese & Cheers
Ranked #6 of 705 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$9 - US$29
Cuisines: French
Description: An all French cheese & wine bar, serving sweet & savory brunches, inspiring specialty teas such as Lapsang, Souchong, Fancy Sencha plus lovely freshly ground coffee & farmhouse juices all the way from Normandy. We can highly recommend this place as a great place to meet in the mornings to charge up for the day ahead! All day specials include home-made traditional French cuisine such as soups, quiches, croques, tartiflette, high-end baguette sandwiches, croissants and much more. Freshly prepared cheese slates are a particular highlight, 4, 6 8 cheeses or try our 1 meter cheese board with up to 16 cheeses, all can be selected from a light to ultra strong accompanied with wonderful tasty freshly baked specialty breads - you can even take home your favorite cheese from the deli bar. Cheese & Cheers is the ideal place to meet friends, romance, parties, a great venue to unwind and enjoy a superb section of French excellent wines, beers and cider. Enjoy this true Parisian style cafe come restaurant in the heart of Southsea, Portsmouth. Takeaways: Cheese and Cheers offer a range of takeaway meals including freshly made sandwiches, baguettes, quiches and can also provide quiches to take home or for a picnic on request.
Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

We visited on a Sunday lunchtime. There is a substantial wine menu, and house wine served in a carafe. For the beer drinkers there is bottled pale ale and Stella. It is run by French people who really know their produce. We opted for a cheese plate, and were able to change this from an 8 to 10 cheese sampler which is served with a basket of bread. We were asked for any preferences about blue, mild, strong, goat and sheep cheeses but were happy to leave the decision to them. When the plate was brought out each cheese was explained to us. There was an excellent range from mild to strong, hard and soft, and some that you would struggle to get anywhere else. We also got a cheese and potato bake made with some very stinky, sinus clearing cheese. Great opportunity to have a taste of cheeses you haven't tried before without committing yourself to having to eat loads. It does work better with a group so that you can get a good variety plate and share it. There is a smaller range of single plates, such as quiche and French onion soup. Charcuterie platters are also available. The venue is relaxed and comfortable. It wasn't too busy when we were there, but it isn't massive so you may need to book if you will be a large party.

1  Thank Adventuresoftheanon

Reviewed 18 February 2017 via mobile

We were given a Groupon voucher for a cheese tasting and charcuterie plate etc for Christmas. Today we rang to book so that we could redeem this and were told they only had tables at 630 and 9. We mentioned the voucher and confirmed a booking at 630. So here's what followed next:

1. When we arrived they couldn't find our booking. Eventually they said that we were obviously the booking taken where they couldn't understand the name. They then argued amongst themselves and took us to a table at the back of the restaurant. We explained that I couldn't sit on high stools because of arthritis and they moved us to a tiny table in a cold corner where we were both seated looking at a wall.

2. The waiter then asked the owner to explain the Groupon offer to us. She was immediately angry with us saying that we couldn't use a Groupon voucher on a Saturday night. We explained we had asked about the voucher on booking and she said I had said it was a Christmas voucher (I had said we got the voucher for Christmas). She then said that because it was a Groupon voucher we needed to vacate the table by 8pm (by this time it was 645). So what would have happened if it was a Christmas voucher (according to her - fine)....?!

3. She then aggressively asked us to either leave or alternatively we could have what had - after all - been prepaid but we needed to be out by 8. We felt we had no alternative but to agree to the latter

After this, I was so upset we decided to leave. They had already scanned the Groupon voucher so have pocketed the money but I wasn't prepared to sit in a restaurant staring at a wall where I felt embarrassed and humiliated by the owner.

So we left. And went to St Yago where - as ever - they were welcoming, warm and serve amazing food and drink.

I've never written a negative review on Trip Adviser before (look back!) so be warned and stay clear in my opinion!!!

11  Thank Susand70
Nadine B, Owner at Cheese & Cheers, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2017

We are sorry you were not happy with your last Saturday’s visit to Cheese & Cheers. We value our customers; all negative comments and feedback are taking seriously and followed up in an appropriate manner.

As the owner of Cheese & Cheers I think this review deserves clarification. First of all, when a customer decides to book a table in a “foreign themed” restaurant, it is most expected to be greeted by foreign staff with all the consequences it implicates essentially the language barrier. It’s correct my staff didn’t understand your name even after asking you twice to spell it as you were very fast speaking. I admit that was the waiter’s mistake not to transfer your call to a more experienced person to take your booking and I do apologize for that. Despite this name and contact details issue, there was a table booked for you.

When you booked, my staff clearly mentioned the only vacancies we had been at 6:30pm or after 9:00pm. So you were fully aware we would be very busy on this evening. Do we really need to be blamed for being fully booked while in advance? When you arrived, you asked us to move table for the reasons you specified, that’s what we have done with great understanding. Unfortunately due to the numerous bookings we had on this evening, you have been allocated to the only table which was available until 8:00pm. Yes, a table facing a wall but not in a cold corner and how many bistros style restaurants offer sittings adjacent to a wall? Plenty. You didn’t like this table, that’s your decision and I respect it, if I was sat at that table I would be focused on my partner and not the wall unless of course I was sat by myself.
As the owner and the Chef, when I had a glimpse at the dining area I have been asked to explain you about the Groupon voucher without knowing about the previous whereabouts as I was busy in the kitchen and also because your waiter has not been trained about the Groupon deals as he works exclusively on weekend’s shifts. As mentioned previously as we don’t accept this sort of deals there was no reason to train him on this matter. Just coming out of the kitchen and being very busy, I was surprised to have Groupon customers when every Groupon users perfectly know that these deals are here to help on slow hours. I might have been a bit firm with you as my role is not to be at the front but I never asked you to leave the premises. I am not in this business to shoot customers away, I clearly said you could stay but you would have to leave by 8:00pm as this table was booked at 8:00pm, as any other restaurateur would advise when a table is booked multiple times throughout and an evening. Also it would have been unfair to sit you at a table and then tell you at the last moment that you had to leave because the following customers were about to arrive. You misinterpreted my words.
That was also your decision to leave rather than using your already scanned voucher even though I told you could use it on this busy Saturday and obviously, at the moment I spoke to you, I didn’t know your voucher had already been scanned.

My staff members were not arguing but only trying to find the best way forward, to welcome you in these awkward circumstances.

If you read at all the reviews posted on Tripadvisor you will see that our customers are very happy with the food and service we provide at Cheese & Cheers. We also have a 99% of customer’s satisfaction on Groupon. Your reviews on Tripadvisor are not always fantastic, you also had some disappointments in other places. And every places even the best ones have a few terrible reviews. We have got one of them… from you.
I would like to give you a second opportunity to use your voucher as it’s not been “pocketed yet” even though scanned. For that I will ask you to introduce yourself by phone, to ask for the owner to take your booking whenever you wish as long as it’s not on a Friday or Saturday evening.

We hope to see again in more appropriate circumstances and then you may change your mind and enjoy visiting us on a regular basis.

Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

I make my French onion soup with a twice cooked beef consommé and a great deal of love and gratin ! However , my wife proclaimed the soup here better ! And well, I tasted escargot that matched my Rheims experience, a flight of French red and white that rekindled the essences of French wine , some charcuterie, and melted cheese and more , the smell of washed rind spoke of cheese to come ! We had just arrived in town so it was a joy to behold ! Yippee !

Nadine B, Owner at Cheese & Cheers, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2017

We have a common point when we make an onion soup: A great deal of love. I hope you are not too upset with the comparison your wife made. That's a great compliment as I am sure your onion soup is also fantastic. You are most welcome if you want to try other traditional dishes to remind you your different French experiences.
Thank you very much for this lovely review.

Reviewed 17 February 2017

I recently visited cheese and cheers with friends. I don`t think I can put into words how great the evening was. The waiter was exceptional and knew all about the different cheeses and wines. He made us feel very welcome. The food was just perfect. We had two large selections of cheese with accompaniments and bread. Its so good to find somewhere that really knows its cheese! The wine list was varied and a good choice. I would love this restaurant to be in southampton so I could visit more often. I really good restaurant to visit with a group of friends for lots of cheese and wine to try. Well done to the owners and staff.

Thank you very much for your support. It's very pleasant when our customers fully appreciate all the efforts and love my staff and myself place in this business. See you soon for another very enjoyable evening.

Reviewed 14 February 2017

We had one of the best bowls of home made soup - lentil and lardons - that we've ever tasted. It's French with a few selected dishes of the day plus some great looking charcuterie and cheese boards - to share. A real find.