“Patronising Manager”

Price range: US$10 - US$21
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: At The Great Salterns Mansion Harvester in Portsmouth food is fresh, full of flavour and just how you like it. Choose your tasty grill, sauce and side at our restaurant and we'll get cooking - while you head off to the famous Harvester salad bar to grab as much crisp, freshly prepared tasty salad as you like.About our Harvester restaurantIf you're looking for a family friendly restaurant in Portsmouth, there's nowhere more popular than Harvester. Close to Copnor, Hilsea and Buckland, our restaurant is a great choice for anyone who loves tasty grills, indulgent desserts and eating out in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Plus we've loads of choices for young guests.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Decided to lunch at the Harvester with my friend, to be honest the place looked clean and was busy. We were sat in an area where we were served by a new lady who was friendly and helpful, unfortunately l cannot say the same for the manager who patronised her in front of us whilst she was taking our order and asked for help. You have to ask yourself why the hospitality industry is struggling to recruit and keep people when the very person who is there to help and coach you, be littles you in front of the customers.
The meal was average to say the least as my friend ordered a dish with rice and to be honest she could have broken her teeth on it! We decided not to order anything else and when the bill arrived we were given a £2 discount which shows the value of the rice on there menu and to be honest the chicken skewer was thigh and fatty - yes we felt insulted!
I would to thank the lady who served us and hope that her experience of working at harvester gets better and as for the arrogant manager she quite clearly needs to coach not belittle!

Date of visit: August 2021
General Manager A, Manager at The Great Salterns Mansion Harvester, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Good evening.
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate feedback whether it’s good or bad.
I’m so sorry you felt your server was patronised, Iv spoken with Gemma and she didn’t feel like this was the case but I apologise if that is how it made you feel, I’m glad you enjoyed the service provided by her, she is becoming a real asset to the team ☺️.
Our menu does state the chicken skewer is made with chicken thigh, but I will feed your comments back to the kitchen.
Iv spoken to the team on shift and I’m glad you were sorted a replacement rice immediately as the one served wasn’t up to scratch, we gave the discount as a little gesture to show our apology for the inconvenience.
I do hope you give us another try soon!
Sam

Write a reviewReviews (1,384)

Reviewed 8 August 2021 via mobile

We had a lovely meal here last night. 3 adults and 2 kids, the food was good, the service was great. I usually find harvesters service can be hit and Miss, as they are so busy, but this was great.

Reviewed 4 August 2021 via mobile

Food was really good and atmosphere was amazing, Julie our server was really helpful and chatty, great night for my nephews 16th birthday

Date of visit: August 2021
General Manager A, Manager at The Great Salterns Mansion Harvester, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2021

Good morning Vicky,
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review, I’m so pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit with us at Great Salterns Mansion, and that your Nephew had a wonderful 16th birthday!!
I will be certain to pass your lovely comments onto Julie, who will be thrilled at your comments!
I hope we see you all again soon

Reviewed 3 August 2021 via mobile

First of all I tried to book by phone but was told I had to book via website. So older people who aren’t on internet cannot eat here. Wasn’t allowed to help myself to salad cart so a waitress came over handling my bowl without sanitizer or washing? Lack of dressing very disappointed. Then ordered a drink. No ice. So I helped myself to drink dispensers ice. Manageress couldn’t be bothered too help. Place has gone down hill. Manager and manageress are not up for job. Same waitress is there she’s brilliant. Even she said that’s management for you. I spent over £120. So I think I deserved more from the miss ordering management and unclean waitress. Services. Port Solent next time

Date of visit: August 2021
General Manager A, Manager at The Great Salterns Mansion Harvester, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate all feedback good and bad to help us improve for your next visit!
Harvester as a whole have taken the decision to keep salad cart as served to the guest rather than self serve, we have found it far more hygienic, however I am disappointed to hear you didn’t see the server wash or sanitise their hands, and I will feed this back to the team so guests can be reassured it is being carried out at very regular intervals.
I am aware of our back of house ice machine breaking down and awaiting repair, which is the one used for drinks served from the bar, however the one situated in the restaurant for guests to use was working fine, which of course you can help yourself to, I apologise if this information wasn’t given to you, but I’m pleased to hear you used it and your drink was then to your satisfaction.
During busy periods we encourage guests to book online so they can see all booking times available to them and makes a swift easy booking process, of course should any generation have difficulty with accessing our website we would gladly help.
If you would like to discuss anything further please do give us a call and ask to speak with a duty manager.

Reviewed 3 August 2021

We are visiting Portsmouth this week. On a whim we decided to have lunch here. I can truly recommend it. The salads are simply sublime and the rest of the menu tasty too. I ordered chicken for my lunch, other party members opted for burgers etc. You must try the salads. If possible have a dessert to round off your meal at the end too. The range of desserts on offer are nice.

Hi Thara,
Thank so much for taking the time to leave a review, I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit with us at Great Salterns Mansion.
We pride ourselves on being the best and so glad you agree
I must admit the salads are lovely, and it’s fab to personalise them to your own tastes.
I will let the kitchen team know how much you enjoyed your food, they will be thrilled at your wonderful comments!
What dessert did you order? My favourite is the Eton mess sundae
I do hope you pop in to see us again soon