“Top marks for getting to Spain”
Review of Brittany Ferries

Ranked #26 of 130 things to do in Portsmouth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Sail with Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth, Poole or Plymouth direct to France and Spain. Our routes take you closer to popular holiday destinations, saving miles of driving, fuel costs, tolls and overnight stops. Choose either superb comfort of a cruise ferry, no-frills economie service or speed across The Channel on our fast craft.
Reviewed 29 June 2018

A couple of year ago, I was obliged to go to Spain with my van. I decided to go out by road through France, and come back on the Ferry from Bilbao to compare and contrast. In terms of cost, the difference was very marginal. Taking into account the cost of the channel tunnel crossing, the fuel, the motorway tolls and the overnight stop at an Airbnb in France, the ferry worked out very marginally more expensive. However, when you take into account the hassle-quotient

All reviews
"inside cabin"
in 7 reviews
"sea sickness"

Reviewed 26 June 2018

We took the ferry over from Portsmouth to Caen, France in June. While the process for loading people on bicycles is a little onerous, the choice for using the ferry and, especially, booking a berth was wise.

The service is excellent, the bicycle storage is safe and secure, and the accommodations on board are good.

As cyclists, the berth was the pinnacle of the journey. It gave us an opportunity to rest, relax, and enjoy our trip in peace and quiet.

1  Thank CanadianCycleTravel
Reviewed 25 June 2018

We asked for a cabin near a lift as my wife has difficulty walking far, on our journey out it was adhered to perfectly ,but for the return trip from Spain it was terrible, we had to walk the whole length of the ferry to reach the cabin and there was no lift near the cabin.
On complaining after our return we were told all the cabins were booked, I do not believe this excuse,as we booked about four months before the return trip and it is not high season.

If all the cabins near a lift were not available we should have told at the time of booking so we could change our sailing date.
My advice to anyone with mobility problems to double check that the lift is close by.

NJM

BF-CustomerServices, Manager at Brittany Ferries, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Dear 'neville m',

I am sorry to read of the difficulties experienced by your wife on your return sailing. We do try to make sure that customers with reduced mobility are parked near to a lift, but how near to the lift the cabin is can depend on the availability as well as the cabin type. I am sorry that it was not explained clearly how far away the cabin would be and for the discomfort that this caused your wife, please pass my apologies to her. We do usually let customers know this so that they can make an informed decision.

Thank you for your review and your comments have been noted.

Kind regards
Jane

Customer Services

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

I’m a regular with using Brittany Ferries at least twice a year and having just got back from France I thought it was high time it had a review!
The access to the terminal is very easy , well signed and even with a trailer or caravan it’s no problem !
Once through the gates and on to the ferry it’s all very easy , if you have booked a cabin then your door card keys are given too you before you board and you can go straight to your room. We always get a inside cabin for the night crossing as you get 4 bunks shower and toilet facilities, and then for the day crossing we opt for a comofore cabin as there is tv / dvd bigger room with sofa and bigger shower etc not to mention fridge with complimentary cold drinks , tea and coffee and even a basket of fruit!! Food on board is good and not badly priced and a trip to the cinema is well worth it!!

1  Thank Jjfe
See more reviews
Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

For our European vacation we needed to get from London to France and thought it would be fun to take an overnight ferry. While the ferry was nice and the cabin more comfortable than expected it was extremely loud which made getting any sleep difficult.

Our trip took us from Portsmouth to Caen. Our departure time was close to 11:00 pm so sadly we didn’t have time to take advantage of all the amenities on the ship but we knew that going in so no big deal. We were a party of four and each one of us had our own bed thanks to a couple of beds that pulled out from the ceiling which were perfect for our two young boys.

The disappointment came once we got underway as our cabin was extremely loud with lots of vibration. I realize we were traveling by boat and some sound from the engines was expected but not that much as at times it felt like trying to sleep in a washing machine. I did notice our room was located at the very back end of the ship so maybe we just had some bad luck and other rooms didn’t experience the same issue.

On the plus side getting off was easy and going through immigration at the ferry port in Caen was a breeze allowing us to get to Bayeux in time for our tour.

Oh and one bit of advice. If you get to the ferry port early enough go to The Ship and Castle Pub just outside of the port for a bite to eat and a pint.

Dear 'Rod_Houston',

I'm pleased to hear that you liked the ferry but I am sorry that you were not happy with your cabin. As the ship is in motion there will be a degree of vibration, this may increase briefly on departure or arrival, however, it should not affect your enjoyment of the facilities and I am sorry to read that it did. If you have not already done so please get in contact with us at customer.feedback@brittanyferries.com.

Thank you for your review and for travelling with us. I hope you enjoyed your tour in Bayeux.

Kind regards