“Total Misrepresentation of the facts”

Mayview Guest House
Ranked #25 of 44 Southampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 June 2017

We booked on line through a well know on line booking company. After a long drive to get there at 9:00pm I was shocked by poor appearance of Hotel. We booked a 2 bedroom apartment which we assumed was part of the main guest house, NOT! When we arrived we told to go across the street to the Clairmont and they would walk us to the apartment. The apartment was about a 1/4 of a mile away. As a family of 5 which includes 3 children I feared for my families safety. As a previous guest stated "Looks like halfway house for vagrants".
We were told to follow two ladies to the apartment, they walked we drove behind them. The area this guest house is in appears to be unsafe and not well kept, lots of Graffiti around the area. When we arrived at the apartment the building was in worse shape than the guest house which I already felt was terrible. Worse was yet to come. When my wife and I were let into the apartment we found the actual place wasn't even close to the pictures the company posts on line. The carpets were stained, the doors were covered with laminate to make then look like solid wood. The whole place was shabby and poorly maintained. We were shown the sitting room which was smaller than the car we arrived in. We then told there were more bedrooms upstairs, which was true. However, they were in the attic with no windows, there was a skylight. It was so hot in the attic with no air movement at all. After reviewing the place and the safety issues in the area we decided not to stay. Renter BEWARE - right after we left, they charged my Amex card for the night. I am working on getting a full refund. Do yourself a favor DON'T STAY HERE. As the other guest said "RUN FOR HILLS".

I travel to many places for business and pleasure and have never experienced such a bad case of misrepresentation!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank ianstreet2017

Reviewed 22 June 2017

I stayed 3 nights in May. The Mayview is well located, within walking distance of many points of interest. There is no lift and no air conditioning, but the staff go the extra mile to accommodate. As long as you keep in mind that this is a modest guest house, you should be well pleased. I will stay there again.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

We booked as close to mayflower. But was shocked be poor appearance of Hotel. Looks like halfway house for vagrants.
Broken fittings and bedroom door locks badly repaired. Appears to
Be unsafe.
We were shown to our room that had shared facilities. Dirty poorly fitted shower room.
We didnt feel able to use let alone share.
We didn't even sit down. We picked up our overnight bag and left.
Laundry was being sorted on the dining area. I wouldn't particularly like to eat there. Certainly previous reviews appear to like it. But think they must have been completed be friends and families. As complete misrepresentation of what you actually have before you. Run for the hills

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 49nikib
Lee F, Owner at Mayview Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2017

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

I must admit I am quite surprised by your comments. The whole premise has been recently renovated, and renewed from the top down and as such we feel it is pretty together, as do almost all of our other guests. I have also personally inspected the lock on the door to your room and various other rooms and I have not found anything broken or badly repaired.

Regarding your comments regarding family and friends reviews, our reviews and rankings are genuine, if you take a look across all review sites, (over 2000 reviews at last count) we are ranked highly for cleanliness, safeness and comfort.

Regards

Lee Firetto

Reviewed 20 May 2017

Charming guest house, 5 minutes by foot from central station. Room (12) was clean, had recent furniture and had everything one needs although very small. Very good full english breakfast and very friendly owner.
Room size is okay for 1 person but too small for 2. Very small bassin in the bathroom. Room 12 is in the backyard of the house so you need to get out from the main builing to join the room, which might be inconvenient if it rains. At the end of the backyard there is a quite noisy street with lots of traffic. The curtains let daylight go through.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 11 and 12 which are located in the backyard
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Fred_voyageur_France
Reviewed 1 April 2017

Excellent location. I had requested ground floor. When I arrived, I was politely told the single room was up 2 flights of stairs so not appropriate. It might have been courteous just to let me know that they had moved me to their sister hotel over the road. I therefore cannot review this guest house fully.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo