“Please don't book this place!!!!! Awful place”

Mayview Guest House
Ranked #28 of 44 Southampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

I arrived in the middle of the afternoon. The road this B&B is in was littered with rubbish. My first warning sign!! The front of the Mayview was littered with broken tiles, rubbish and debris. I was 'greeted' (and I use that term loosely) by what only I can describe as an angry looking Philippine/Thai older woman who was far from friendly. In fact I'd go so far to say she was rude. I was shown into this guest house which was carpeted with a beige stained and filthy carpet throughout. She took me through the hallway and opened a cupboard door. She didn't seem to be able to read and 'told' me to tell her which my name was from a long list. I don't think she could read English as I pretty much had to book myself into this god awful place. I was given a key to my room. I asked was there anywhere near to eat and how to get to town. The woman just pointed at the door and said everything is in town!!??? I noticed all the walls and doors had marks, holes and were in much need of repair. Prior to booking I read reviews. A while back a guy wrote that he'd just taken over and changes were happening. These replies to reviews were 10/12 months ago and I can assure you they weren't made! The runner on my bed was ripped and stained and the towels provided in my room were grey and rough feeling. In the dining room when I arrived was a huge pile of laundry scattered over a table. The woman who answered the door was apparently ironing there!!!!! The shared bathroom was completely outdated and scruffy. Breakfast was ok, very poor quality cheap food. The lady who was there in the morning was more friendly and helped a with her knowledge of surrounding areas and amenities. Please avoid this place at all costs. It really ruined my trip :(

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 August 2017

We booked a double room, we were allocated room 2 which was through the dining room out into the rear garden the into a small broom cupboard of a room,
The room was so small the double bed was touching the wall on one side with just about enough room to stand on the other, to make tea or coffee you had to move the kettle to the bedside table and fish for the extention lead under the bed to plug it into, the tv was mouted on the side wall by the side of the bed so when you sit in bed you can hardly see it,
My real gripe was the so called ensuite, this was so small when using the very small sink if you bent over you needed the sliding door open this giving you no privacy as anyone walking by or using the garden could see straight into the room as it had a clear glazed door and curtains that were impossile to close witout leaving a gap somwhere either in the middle or each end.
Breakfast was ok instant cheap coffee and only had one flavour of jam available ( Apricot )
IWe thought £70 for this size room and faciliteies was way to much.
We felt this room should only be a single allowing more space for a proper size ensuite

Room Tip: ask not to be put in room 2
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alan L
Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

I Stayed Here for 1 night on Sunday 9th July 2017 for the Graduation of my daughter from the Solent University which was a 10 minute walk away. Looks can be deceiving as from the outside it does look a little bit on the rough side but I think the whole street does but on entering I was in for a very pleasant surprise. I was greeted by a very friendly young lady who was happy to explain everything I needed to no about my stay including the car park next door which was £5 per night. As I turned up on a Sunday evening I was informed that I could park outside the front until 8.30 am the following morning.
The room although very small had everything I needed for a nights stay. Tea and coffee making facilities, small tv and room to put your clothes. The room was very tastefully decorated and very clean and tidy. The shared shower room and toilet was on the small side but really was not a problem .You have to remember you are paying for a budget B&B not a 5 star hotel and a very tidy, comfy and pleasant B&B at that. Breakfast was Served at 7 am and how wonderful it was. Home from home you wouldn't get better in a five star believe me.
All in all I had a terrific stay and would recommend it to anyone. Well done and many thanks to all the staff.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2017

Warm welcome, had one of the downstairs room in the new extension not big but large enough for a Very Comfortable double bed on one wall and a Shower room in the cupboard (get undressed in the room and same for the toilet) i think the term is compact but it was great. Good sleep and a good breakfast.Very nice host would definitely go back if i went to Southampton overnight. Just over the road and round the corner from the Mayflower Theatre. Very Good Value for money.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2017

We booked on line through a well know on line booking company. After a long drive to get there at 9:00pm I was shocked by poor appearance of Hotel. We booked a 2 bedroom apartment which we assumed was part of the main guest house, NOT! When we arrived we told to go across the street to the Clairmont and they would walk us to the apartment. The apartment was about a 1/4 of a mile away. As a family of 5 which includes 3 children I feared for my families safety. As a previous guest stated "Looks like halfway house for vagrants".
We were told to follow two ladies to the apartment, they walked we drove behind them. The area this guest house is in appears to be unsafe and not well kept, lots of Graffiti around the area. When we arrived at the apartment the building was in worse shape than the guest house which I already felt was terrible. Worse was yet to come. When my wife and I were let into the apartment we found the actual place wasn't even close to the pictures the company posts on line. The carpets were stained, the doors were covered with laminate to make then look like solid wood. The whole place was shabby and poorly maintained. We were shown the sitting room which was smaller than the car we arrived in. We then told there were more bedrooms upstairs, which was true. However, they were in the attic with no windows, there was a skylight. It was so hot in the attic with no air movement at all. After reviewing the place and the safety issues in the area we decided not to stay. Renter BEWARE - right after we left, they charged my Amex card for the night. I am working on getting a full refund. Do yourself a favor DON'T STAY HERE. As the other guest said "RUN FOR HILLS".

I travel to many places for business and pleasure and have never experienced such a bad case of misrepresentation!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family